Profile for Sarah > Reviews

Stylish Bold Kitchen Pine Wooden Office Wall Clock
Stylish Bold Kitchen Pine Wooden Office Wall Clock
Offered by UK GIFT STORE ONLINE

3.0 out of 5 stars Some people like ticking, some don't…, 16 Dec 2014
Lovely looking clock, about the size of a large dinner plate. Someone clearly worked hard to get it to me very quickly after ordering, so well done them. Unfortunately it has a very loud tick, something not mentioned in the description. Some people like ticking, some don't…! If this clock didn't tick quite so loudly, I'd keep it, but the sound is quite intrusive. So five stars for service and product appearance, but no stars because it has a tick that wasn't in the description. Three stars seems a good half-way point.

Guzzini 08653200 Punchbowl Ladle
Guzzini 08653200 Punchbowl Ladle

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not particularly nice to look at, 15 Dec 2014
The handle is flat and about two-thirds of a centimetre thick, with very square edges. This makes it uncomfortable to hold and somehow ergonomically difficult to use. Didn't think of it at the time but this ladle is also only right-handed. Should have paid more attention and got a double-spouted ladle so everyone could use it. It's not particularly nice to look at, rather clunky, and, I would imagine, a bit of pain to store anywhere other than in a drawer as there is no hole nor hook to hang it. As soon as I held it in my hand I knew it would have to go back and requested a refund. That has been dealt with expeditiously by the company, but they have said I can keep the ladle. It will be going to a charity shop, but a shame for the company as it can't be good for business. Should have heeded the other reviews posted for the same item from other sellers that said this ladle is a bit rubbish.

WeRChristmas 50-Piece Warm White Static LED Christmas Tree Lights String
WeRChristmas 50-Piece Warm White Static LED Christmas Tree Lights String
Offered by Mail Order Online Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good length, fit fine up a 6ft tree, 14 Dec 2014
These really are warm white. No mad flashes of horrid l.e.d. lightning-type light - just plain and simple warm-ish light. Good length, fit fine up a 6ft tree.

Carb Blocker with Phaseolamin Phase 2 Carb Controller Clinically Proven Active ingredient to Support Weight Loss/ 180 vegetarian capsules made in UK
Offered by Be-Beautiful-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product and swiftly delivered, 5 Dec 2014
Excellent product and swiftly delivered. I have found them to be a great help when trying to shift those stubborn pounds. No after affects, tasteless, and they work. Would recommend. And they work even faster if you increase exercise, even just a bit.

Natures Aid Comfrey Cream - 50g
Natures Aid Comfrey Cream - 50g

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 30 Nov 2014
This is NOT vegan because it contains lanolin, so should not be described as such.

New Classic Thick Coir and Rubber Large Doormat 45x75cm
New Classic Thick Coir and Rubber Large Doormat 45x75cm
Offered by Trendi

2.0 out of 5 stars Design flaw, 17 Nov 2014
Only two stars because although it is a decent enough mat, it does not drain - ie when it rains the coir part ends up sitting in water. I bought this mat to replace and older coir mat that was a coir and metal affair, and the when it rained the water drained straight through so eventually the mat dried out. I assumed this would be the same, but we know what Assumption is, don't we! Although the picture indicates this mat can be used outside - and in fairness it can of course - there are no drain holes underneath the coir part so when you go to clean your boots or shoes after rainfall, you can end up with a sploshy sloshy mess. It's quite irritating because now I have to stand it up (as best it will) so ensure any standing water drains away, which is not what you want to be doing with a muddy doormat, really. The only solution is for me to drill some holes through the bottom when it's dry. I wouldn't buy another one of these for outside use.

Draper 07212 180L Compost Tumbler
Draper 07212 180L Compost Tumbler

3.0 out of 5 stars Still Needs Work, 5 Nov 2014
Hmmm.. bought this in July, just as the weather was hotting up, hoping to get that elusive 'compost in six to eight weeks'. I've waited until now to review to see how it all worked out.
One of the major difficulties in using this is the weight. Once half/three quarters full, it is almost impossible to turn, and I have found when you can get some leverage on it, it rolls the composting materials inside into balls of various sizes - bit like stuff in a washing machine (although clearly not as as fast!!). There is nothing in the design to get hold of to turn the barrel without incurring a bit of strain on your back, and as any gardener will tell you, that is the last thing you want to do!
Now, the composting bit. I think I made a fundamental error by putting in one - only one - basket load of grass clippings, and almost over night the whole contents turned to sludge. To remedy this I added a large bag of unused wood-pellet litter tray pellets, which swelled up and disappeared, plus copious amounts of shredded paper and cardboard. In went leaves, weeds, straw - all the usual stuff, but it has never really 'dried out'. I added some lovely red worms from my old-fashioned compost heap and they are working well, but it is just not the same as the traditional method ie, piled up and left to rot.
I think one the main problems is that the holes that let out the degrading goo from the plants aren't big enough, and we have re-drilled them to about 1cm across, (I say We, but you all know what I mean!!) four on each end, and this has speeded up the liquid removal. And that is another point - it would be better if the tumbler came with it's own tray to catch this liquid. We used a large plant pot tray after having raised the whole thing on 2x2" battens as it was very low and thus harder to turn with stuff in it. If you want to use this on a patio be aware that as the plants rot so lots of brown liquid will come out of the bottom.
I don't think I would buy another, as it is now November and my July compost is still in it, not as wet as it was, but not as friable as I'd hoped. And just as a point of comparison, I added grass clippings to the old 'box' compost heap and it has rotted down brilliantly, the leaves and kitchen waste have also behaved appropriately; I think it will beat this new composter hands down when it comes to using the goods early next Spring. So there you have it. If any one out there has any hints tips or advice, please leave a message. Now… where are those seed catalogues..

Happy Beds Memory Stress Free Memory Double Memory Foam Pocket Sprung Mattress, 4.6 ft
Offered by Happy Beds

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleeping Beauties, 13 Oct 2014
Very comfortable so far. The springs give good support where memory foam alone doesn't, but the layer of memory foam on top makes the mattress just that little bit more comfortable for two. No rolling together, and the foam (for us) eases backs and hips as it accommodates our different shapes. Previous sprung-only mattresses seem to turn into a block of concrete over time, and likewise memory foam mattresses seem to lose their memory and turn into a pit that it is almost impossible to get out of in the morning. The service and delivery from this company was very efficient, and the mattress itself comfortable. The springs are medium-hard I would say, but the foam does give it a touch of softness, so you do feel supported. It is quite a thick mattress, something to consider when putting it on your bed frame. We now climb into bed, rather than get into bed, if you see what I mean. It's about 9-10" high, but as I haven't measured this it's only an estimate. Happy with the purchase.

Quick Change: Tiny Tales of Transformation
Quick Change: Tiny Tales of Transformation

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of short stories for when time is tight, 17 Sep 2014
Great collection of short stories for when time is tight. I loved Special Offer - I could hear the characters talking! The Mutton and The Lamb is a good example of good flash fiction - and it reads to very very true! The Metamorphosis was engaging and yet brutal - and brutally honest - Debbie Young catches the moment perfectly. All in all, these are great reads.

The Nurse Wore Nail Varnish
The Nurse Wore Nail Varnish
by Margaret Alsop

4.0 out of 5 stars For Those Who Remember the Ten Bob Note, 23 Jun 2014
I liked this book. It is evocative of another time and place, when values and aspirations were so very different to today's. If you're 60+ there is a lot in this book to relate to, to understand - to simply Get. We're introduced to Ruthie from birth, when the time and date of a birth wasn't that important, when there wasn't a photographer on hand to snap the moment, when ultrasounds were non-existant - rather, a time when mother and baby were pleased just to have survived the experience. Ruthie tells us about the 2ndWW, about being moved from Portsmouth to the countryside to avoid the bombs, to growing up in a rather cold, unloved household (Victorian children often grew into remote early 20th century parents, already having witnessed the horror of the 1st World War), through the 1950's, 60's and 70's - but this book is clever in that it then goes into the future. We pass the point of now, and author Margaret Alsop takes Ruthie and her adult grandchildren into an as-yet unknown future. The writing is clear, in places jolly, and often poignant to the point of sadness. It's half true-life story with much observation and wit.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8