Profile for James > Reviews

Not really a curtain

One Breath
One Breath

5.0 out of 5 stars A great second album, 31 Oct. 2013
This review is from: One Breath (Audio CD)
More varied, yet still in the same vein as the debut. Both have been on rotation in my car for the last two weeks. I may have done some singing.

You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 - The Helsinki Concert
You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 2 - The Helsinki Concert

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit disappointed, really, 23 Sept. 2013
This concert is meant to be a real classic. So the first half is pretty nifty, with a very well drilled band ripping through a big chunk of Zappa's best stuff. My issues with it are that it's nowhere near as well recorded as 'The best band you never heard in your life', with one of Chester's bass drums far too prominent all through the first half and the whole thing feeling like a superior bootleg, which I suppose is what it is. Secondly, the inter-band 'comedy' for this show merely adds to Zappa's negative column. There's always something you don't like on any Zappa release, and whilst this has a ton of stuff I do like, it also has 'room service', which is pretty racist and Dupree's Paradise, which is just tedious.
This one will be going back on the shelf, with 'Best band...' finding its way back into the car, for when I want to listen to Zappa, which these days is frankly all the time.

TomTom Start 20 Europe Satellite Navigation System
TomTom Start 20 Europe Satellite Navigation System

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Tom. How did I do without you?, 30 Oct. 2012
Oh, that's right. I used to get lost. Not any longer.

It has a couple of quirks: apparently the bit of the M25 near me has a 50mph limit (it doesn't) so I get beeped at for doing 53. I'll find a way to fix that. Otherwise, a marvel.