Profile for R. Gardner > Reviews

Content by R. Gardner

R. Gardner "Corriebob" (Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Toilets: a spotter's guide (Lonely Planet Spotters Guides)
Toilets: a spotter's guide (Lonely Planet Spotters Guides)
by Lonely Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars Toilets a spotter's guide (Lonely Planet), 26 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Toilets. 'Nature's call has never been so beautifully answered'.
That's on the front cover which in itself is a little misleading as some of the Toilets are
what one would say very basic and even exposed and very rural. There are 127 pages with photos, all nicely done as you would expect from a Lonely Planet publication. Very much tongue in cheek as far as the wording on each page is concerned, Fun too. I have no real criticism of the publication except that it does very little within Europe, Very much the Americas, Australia etc with just one or two in European Union or Scandinavia. This in itself is not a bad thing. I just wondered why? There are some quite amazing ones, some using the latest wizardry, a lot that are not. That apart this would make a great fun gift for a friend where you don't want to be serious about present giving. Not rude in any way, just fun. or even as a stocking filler at Christmas.

Nerf Men's Rival Zeus MXV-1200 Blaster - Blue
Nerf Men's Rival Zeus MXV-1200 Blaster - Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars Nerf Men's Rival Zeus Blaster, 22 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not quite sure what market this toy is aimed at. Is it for a teen war game?, for target practice? or just what? It is quite heavy in weight and moderately bulky, though these points are not to important, but, It requires 6 batteries which adds to the weight and to my great surprise is pretty noisy as it pumps up for each shot which adds to the time to shoot. I also found it fiddly to load and insert the magazine. Even the battery compartment you have to use a screwdriver to open and close, why isn't there a quick clip over? The ammunition is a very soft small yellow ball which certainly will not damage anything, though being small they can be hard to find once shot and you certainly need to buy more to make it playable. The final point is that it is very expensive to buy.
Giving it two stars for limited play enjoyment.

Stalker (Joona Linna 5)
Stalker (Joona Linna 5)
by Lars Kepler

5.0 out of 5 stars Stalker Lars Kepler, 20 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Over the years I've read a good number of novels by various Scandinavian authors and for some reason they seems to be able to write a realistic down to earth story line with credible
characters who are like you and I, some of them have their owns problems and this does affect the story line but never gets in way of the plot. Our main person in this tale is female who is very pregnant and in charge of the team trying to find the person (s) who is committing some horrific murders. Also a detective Joona Linna who had falling on bad times and he comes back into play in this story. The deaths and some sex content we are not spared any details, very much in your face, very graphic. The killer takes a video of his victim (s) ahead of the killing which is sent out to the police force with the killing still to happen. This is one of a number of patterns to appear as time goes on. I found the author gave lots of detail to the surrounds and people affected by events. The story in another authors hands would be very complicated and too detailed but in this book I thought it was well balanced, Enough but not to much. The story itself is a good blend of traditional detective work with some guess work as well, I thought it was very realistic. The pace decidedly picks up about three quarters of the way in to the book. Not that it was slow. This is a big book with lots of content which is not going to be a five minute read, but, once into it you will not be able to put it down, All chapters are short and to the point which is the way I prefer my tales. this means that I can read a chapter or more, close the book and when I pick it up again no problem catching up. Good story line well sculpted, correct pace and believable. If a new author to you I recommend give this book a try.

Canon i-SENSYS LBP6230dw Duplex Wi-Fi Mono Laser Printer
Canon i-SENSYS LBP6230dw Duplex Wi-Fi Mono Laser Printer

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon i SENSYS Duplex WI Fi Canon Printer, 20 April 2016
Laser Mono printer.
I have a small office used for some charity work, family stuff and general correspondence.
I've used an ink jet printer for years and find them very good especially for printing photos, The quality of the results has gone up dramatically over the years as well. The real draw back being that they can if producing multiples of a letter or anything else they can be very slow and costly in ink cartridges. The benefit of laser printer is that it is exceptionally quick (they say up to 20 copies a minute) and the print quality of fonts is on a par with ink jet. It will also do both sides very quickly as well. another benefit which I hadn't known is that they a not too bulky compared to some of the older machines. This machine it matched up to a Mac and I found that it connected WiFi very easily and quickly as well. everything else used up till now has been by cable. which isn't a problem but just yet more wires cris crossing behind the computer. There are a number of steps you have to do before it is ready, taking holding tape off and also one section of polystyrene that holds the tank in place. The tank is easily changed as it just slips up and out and down in guide rails to locate properly. There is a cd to download for either windows or for Mac. This was very quick.
Basically you can get it up and running very quickly. One excellent thing is that there is a green light on the front which tells you it is connect by WiFi so there is no guessing. There is a big choice of different replacement cartridges available at all prices.
For me a very useful extra tool for a lot of the work I do.

Rapesco Supaclip 60 Kit with Dispenser and 100 Stainless Steel Refill Clips
Rapesco Supaclip 60 Kit with Dispenser and 100 Stainless Steel Refill Clips

5.0 out of 5 stars Rapesco Supaclip 60 Kit., 15 April 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd never come across this useful item before, I've used staplers up till now exclusively.
Like all tools it is simple and brilliant for most purposes and if there are any drawbacks they are very minor.
I find as all do with a stapler that you fix a number of pages together then discover that either you've forgotten to add an extra page or you want to adjust the sequence and you have to take everything apart and start again but this takes time and if you use the same sheets of paper they end up messy. I says on the cover that it holds up to 60 pages, I would think this depends on the thickness of the paper, I used it up to 25 and it does it nicely. For a couple of pages I would use the traditional stapler, Where it's a great advantage is that you can just pull the clip off, adjust what you want and start again using the same clip. The plastic dispenser is very easy to use and refill. I certainly will continue to use it and the stapler will be used less often, both very useful in different ways. A good addition to any body who collates sheets of paper.

The Last Fiesta
The Last Fiesta
by Andy Rumbold

4.0 out of 5 stars The last fiesta By Andy Rumbold, 7 April 2016
This review is from: The Last Fiesta (Paperback)
The last Fiesta
For the first time in my life I thought I’d check what other reviewers said about a
book as sometimes I am at odds with their thoughts. It gets 5 out of 5
stars from 90% of the folks posting a review. I found this one a touch challenging
Which I’ll explain further on.
There are just a few characters in the tale. Beautifully written that is not in doubt. Based on
Hemmingway and the running of the bulls in Pamplona, travelling in the Picos de Europa
a beautiful area with lots of walking which the group are to do before they attempt the
run. Dan Willis lives in Santander in Northern Spain and he brings together
a group of friends from his younger years and the story revolves around the fact that they
have changed as everyone does. the pace is as in real life and slowly unfolds with a
lot of emotions and change of character that each person has undergone, All this comes
out over the few days the group is together. As I said beautifully written, but, I
just found all the agro between the people irritating. Probably true to life but if I’d been there
I would have left them to their own thoughts and actions. The other main character Billy
Wyatt is extremely attractive to any female and needless to say this leads to tension in
the group as well.
A good story, extremely well written, But not quite there for me. Four out of 5 stars..

Magix Fastcut 2 (PC)
Magix Fastcut 2 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Magix Fastcut 2, 4 April 2016
This review is from: Magix Fastcut 2 (PC) (CD-ROM)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a program for editing video primarily with go pro cameras or any other video camera. You can do this on
a bench computer, lap top or even a tablet. Over a good number of years I've used various programs for cutting pasting and
editing photographs or video and I would say that this one takes a bit of previous knowledge and even then was not easy. (For me)
Watch on utube examples of how too! there are a lots of them some better than others all proclaiming to be the best.
What it does have is a program to edit and splice video into an acceptable presentation with music, You can do easily all the
basics, saturation, contrast, fill light etc, Things such as correcting verticals and horizontals. there is a colour wheel where you can alter the colours in a huge variety. It takes a bit of getting used to and don't rush it as you have to get the sequence correct. Once you have the video to your satisfaction it can be saved and then used for presentation to others.
Sound. You could use the sound when you recorded or you can use one of their sound templates. Text is very easy to add and you can also alter the style and size. You really have to take it stage by stage. Once up and running you will find it easy.
I would sum it up by saying a good program for someone with previous experience or a techno type person. but don't rush it and expect 'Magix' too quickly

Redemption Road
Redemption Road
by John Hart

5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption Road By John Hart, 30 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Redemption Road (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really great writing, very descriptive and full of prose,. Lots of twists and turns thru out the book. Quite a large book compared the the average so not a five minute read. I found I had to concentrate on the characters and story line or if I put the book down for a couple of days, It took a minute or so to catch up again.
Everyone seems to have a secret or a background that has something unusual or amiss. I haven't come across writing like this for a long time and maybe because of that enjoyed it even more. I'd say spine chilling and deep in places too. There are elements of brutality and injustice as well at times. The beginning of the story sets out the Base line with the main characters, Detective Elizabeth Black a preachers daughter she is under investigation for killing two Black men with 18 bullets, because of the large amount of bullets used in their demise it takes it away from responsible killing or defense. Another ex police man is being released from jail at the same time and there is a connection between the two. To learn more you have to read the book.
Having read nothing by this author before. Compared to other excellent novels,This stood out from the crowd. The lovely descriptive lines I found a joy, the plot excellent and very much a keep reading novel.

The Birdwatcher
The Birdwatcher
by William Shaw

4.0 out of 5 stars The Birdwatcher by William Shaw., 23 Mar. 2016
This review is from: The Birdwatcher (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having just finished the book and had time to think about it I found myself thinking that this is one of the easiest and most satisfying stories
of its type that I’ve read for a while and I've read a fair amount of different styles and types over the last number of years.
The general thread is that there are two stories running at the same time about the same central character. One takes place when
he was very young in Northern Ireland during the troubles and the other section takes place later in life in England. Both include an unexplained death.
I normally don’t like books the go back and forth in time as sometimes the links can be tenuous at best, but, Here they go together nicely and come to a satisfying conclusion at the end of the book. Most chapters include a section in both the past and today. The central characters you can associate with in the sense that they are not super hero's but are just like you and I.
There are a number of unexplained events and deaths which pull together nicely at the end and maybe not in quite the way
you expect. There are no fireworks and no dashing around shooting everyone but a nicely constructed story with real characters.
Sometimes authors introduce a host of different people into their books but in this one you are really dealing with a small number
and frankly this makes the story line flow much better.
I enjoyed it as an easy read of its type and very enjoyable. I look forward to reading more by this author.

Hape Original Supermaze
Hape Original Supermaze

5.0 out of 5 stars Hape Original Supermaze, 17 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Hape Original Supermaze (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this for the grandchildren who range in age from two (twins) to a 7 year old with another two in between. All of them played with it, the 7 year old it was just for a short time. But, the younger members of the family played with it on and off for ages and looked for it when they arrived. Other children visiting enjoyed it too.
It has a good wooden Base that several very strong wires plug into.. I had been worried that the fixing would not be strong enough and the wires would come out, I shouldn't have worried it's a very well made article, made in Switzerland. On the wires you have different coloured and shaped beads which slide and fall with the twists and turns of the wires. The box that it came in we kept as it is handy to move and store when not in use. The suggested age on the box was for 2 upwards and I think this is about right.
Helps coordination, hand and eye, also fun.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20