Profile for The Scorer > Reviews

The Moonstone [DVD]
The Moonstone [DVD]
Dvd ~ Greg Wise

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Moonstone [DVD] (DVD)
While I am a huge Wilkie Collins fan, I always thought the plot of this a little unbelievable. This production is ok. Better than the woman in white (but watching paint dry would be preferable to that!), but for me, there just wasn't any excitement / thrill... An okay production, not wonderful, but would pass a wet Sunday afternoons viewing..!

Great Expectations [DVD]
Great Expectations [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Winstone

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Great Expectations [DVD] (DVD)
I really liked this production of Great Expectations. When I first heard Gillian Anderson had been cast as Miss Havisham I thought she wasn't a good choice as she was far too young, but she did a fantastic job - really captured the madness and obsession of Miss Havisham. Ray winstone great as usual. I haven't given it 5 stars simply because I felt that the script was a little rushed and some things were not explained very well, and some of the best bits of the book were lost. The guys who played both baddies (orlick and drummel) were brilliant was well. Worth the money...!

The Notebook
The Notebook

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Notebook (Audio CD)
I haven't seen the movie yet, but a friend was playing this soundtrack and I felt so moved that I bought it purely for the music..! Beautiful beautiful music x

Bookie Gambler Fixer Spy: A Journey to the Heart of Cricket's Underworld
Bookie Gambler Fixer Spy: A Journey to the Heart of Cricket's Underworld
by (Journalist) Ed Hawkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 2 Feb 2013
I bought this for my husband who hates reading and is only interested in all things sporting, cricket in particular. He read it very quickly - what more can I say..!

Heart and Science
Heart and Science
by Wilkie Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm biased, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Heart and Science (Paperback)
I'm biased because I love all Wilkie Collins books. I haven't read a bad one yet..! Great read, very gripping x

Miranda - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Miranda - Series 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Miranda Hart
Offered by EagleDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Such fun..!, 2 Feb 2013
This review is from: Miranda - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Such fun for what I call entertainment..! Trying to be funny are we...? Should be part of everyone's DVD collection.

The Woman in White [DVD][1982] [1997]
The Woman in White [DVD][1982] [1997]
Dvd ~ Diana Quick

1.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing...!, 2 Feb 2013
I am a huge Wilkie Collins fan and have read all his books. I can happily say that the woman in white is One of the best books I have ever read - gripping, exciting and thrilling. Unfortunately this DVD has to be probably the worst dramatisation I have ever seen. The acting was amateur at best. Maybe that's the fault of the direction or screen writing, but this was truly appalling and ruined the wonder of the woman in white in my imagination.

I am so sorry to those involved in making the production as no one goes out to make a bad programme, and I don't mean to be horrible about it. Quite frankly, I still believe the book could be a wonderful film or TV serial and if ever a production was crying out for a remake then this is it...!!!

Holst Conducts Holst The Planets
Holst Conducts Holst The Planets

3.0 out of 5 stars Holst - The Planets, 12 April 2011
If like me, you've never really heard this before, you'll be surprised just how much of it you know! The quality of this particular recording though is a little rough. It is the original recording afterall, digitally remastered (whatever that means..!?) For your listening pleasure, I would recommend buying a different version.

David Copperfield [2000] [DVD]
David Copperfield [2000] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Richards

5.0 out of 5 stars David Copperfield, 12 April 2011
This version of David Copperfield (with Frank McCusker, Sally Field etc.) is blooming marvellous. It was on TV over Christmas 2010 / New Year 2011 and I bought it soon after. Mr McCawber is portrayed a little bit too much like a pantomime character, but nevertheless very good, but Frank McCusker's portrayal of Uriah Heep is brilliant - what a weasel! One of the best Dickens stories in my view.