Profile for Vinnymac > Reviews

Vinnymac

Live At Legends
Live At Legends

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT REALLY LIVE AND NOT REALLY GREAT, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Live At Legends (Audio CD)
Like others here, I love Buddy Guy's music with a passion and have (virtually) his entire back catalogue in one form or another. I have also seen him live in person in Chicago during the 2005 Chicago Blues Festival when he headlined on the main stage and also appeared in his own club Legends. But this performance / release adds little to what has been an outstanding catalogue to date. Getting the small points out of the way, only 8 of the 11 tracks are live, and 3 of those are mish mash medleys in which Guy tips his hat to his UK colleagues past and present of the blues business (notably Clapton & Hendrix). Another is a cover of Mannish Boy - a track I love but, with every respect to Muddy Waters, it has been covered by EVERYONE in the world so to hear Guy play it doesn't wow in any way. Best Damn Fool and Skin Deep from the 2008 album Skin Deep are well turned out, as is Damn Right I've Got The Blues, although the guitar solos in the latter are a bit frantic and attention grabbing compared to the original recording with a very indulgent last 45 seconds that was probably good on the night but doesn't frankly sing out on a live CD. The 3 studio tracks are enjoyable, especially the last number, a slow blues thing called Country Boy. A strange album, can't quite figure it out. It's neither a great live CD nor is it a great set of new studio material. One I will keep in the drawer for the 3 new tracks only, so an expensive EP in my opinion. Shame.

3 Skulls And The Truth
3 Skulls And The Truth

2.0 out of 5 stars 3 Skulls & Not Sure About The Truth......, 26 Nov. 2012
This review is from: 3 Skulls And The Truth (Audio CD)
Collaborations are always risky in my opinion because it is sometimes (often even?) the case that the end result is less than the sum of the individual elements within. What I mean is that with 3 prodigious recording artists like Higalgo, Nanji and Dickinson on the same sessions, you would think that the result would be earth shatteringly great, however in my humble view (and sorry to be at odds with many other reviewers here) it just isn't.

There are some great guitar licks and riffs here and there, but a great lick and riff here and there doesn't make a great album. The songs are a bit juvenile and lacking in content (I mean - an opening song called "I wanna have my way with you" - rock n' roll baby!!!)

None of these three guys is a great vocalist either (in my view) - Hidalgo's voice is soft and smooth and much more suited to his own material with Los Lobos than with the weight of 3 guitars around it. Even Mato's voice here sounds a bit lost in places, whereas I am a huge Indigenous fan and think it all works in that context.

The final nail in the coffin on this for me is the album production which is way too bass heavy in places and the drumming is messy and over-invasive on a number of the tracks. Sounds like it was recorded in somebody's garage on an 8 track to me.

To compare this CD to ZZ Top does a huge disservice to ZZ Top. I mean they are both blues / rock bands with 3 guys in, but I think that's where any valid comparison should be left.

I wanted to love this, but I just don't - and after 3 listens it just isn't growing on me either. E-Bay, here we come......

BlooGaLoo!
BlooGaLoo!
Offered by marvelio-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars UPLIFTING AND FABULOUS!!!, 26 Aug. 2012
This review is from: BlooGaLoo! (Audio CD)
I "discovered" Johnny Moeller through the fact that he is the new lead guitarist with The Fabulous Thunderbirds who I like a lot and have all their material. And how pleased am I to discover Johnny Moeller??? Well, very very pleasded indeed. This CD is just one fantastic track after another - there are hints of Jimmie Vaughan here, influences of bands like The Ventures, and well it's no surprise with his playing style that JM fits very well indeed into the latest line up of TFB. The whole CD is upbeat and uplifting, retro and funky, bluesy and strangely poppy at the same time - this is a fun CD!! I made the mistake of puting this CD in my car when I first bought it and it was the only CD I listened to for a month solidly!! My particular favourites are the instrumental title track BlooGaLoo and Johnny's cover of the Earl King song Trick Bag, although there is not a bad song on here. If I had one criticism, it would be that I'm not a great fan of Lou Ann Barton's vocals on a couple of the tracks, but that's a personal thing. Overall this is a superb CD. I hope Johnny gets some international fame in his own right (as he deserves) and doesn't just become another in a long line of lead guitarists for Kim Wilson's Thunderbirds. Do yourself a favour and go buy this now. You won't regret it.