Profile for J. Gillespie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Black Coke
Black Coke

2.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt by the unrealistic bullet-dodging, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Black Coke (Kindle Edition)
Such a frsutrating book. One one level it's a good read - decent plot and keeps the interest going. It is however spoilt by some unrealistic characters - the female baddy is too much and to think that the head of SOCA is actually in the pay of Colombian druggies is a step too far.

Worst of all though is the constant bullet-dodging that Our Hero manages - bullets scrape by him unless he ducks as a bullet is going his way. His aim though is invariably good and true.

Sorry to say but I can only give 2 stars for this.

Q - A Thriller
Q - A Thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge of the seat stuff, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Q - A Thriller (Kindle Edition)
It took me a little time to get into this because of the separate strands of the story that would eventually come together. Having said that I never considered dropping it - too well written for that.

The twists and turns are staggering - there were at least two occasions when I thought "That's it, story has now been resolved " and BANG! something else happened.

I don't often give 5 stars so when I do it's a good one.

Fake Kate
Fake Kate

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating subject, 25 July 2012
This review is from: Fake Kate (Kindle Edition)
So this was my second Wailing book, having thoroughly enjoyed Timeline. The first thing to say (as a bloke) is that you would think this was written by a woman - very very well done, and really believable.

The premise of the story is a cracker and the ending, contrary to other reviewers' experiences, I thought was perfect. In between there were many highs and a few lows. I loved the whole club culture descriptions - for the first time I understood what deejays do and why. Wonderful descriptions. There were one or two places towards the end where I thought - this is the end. But it wasn't and sometimes it felt as if it was being dragged out.

Overall - a great read - I love his approach to identity and his thinking is always a bit different and ahead of where the rest of us are.

More Wailing, that's what I want. I'll even gnash my teeth for some.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2012 10:09 PM BST

The Crew
The Crew

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good read actually, 12 July 2012
This review is from: The Crew (Kindle Edition)
This wouldn't be my favourite subject at all - being both football -related and violence-related. However, it's actually a good read, decent pace, reasonably credible characters and the plot is not as predictable as you might think.

Well worth getting hold of in my opinion.

The Escape Company
The Escape Company

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly enjoyable, 4 July 2012
Frustrating because it really shouldn't work. The escape plots come off ludicrously easily. The conversion of the smarmy git was too easy. His access to information was surely way beyond even a senior copper. The whole thing was daft. And yet it was hugely enjoyable and a real page-turner.

Do read it.

Timeline (Auto Series)
Timeline (Auto Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrifically ingenious, 24 Jun 2012
This was my first Kindle effort and it's a cracker. The way the author has taken technology which we know and extrapolated it into the future is very credible. I can't wait to explore the rest of his work.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2012 5:16 PM BST

Force 9
Force 9

5.0 out of 5 stars Great live as well, 18 Nov 2011
This review is from: Force 9 (Audio CD)
Just to add to the above - I saw these guys last night in London - superb live act, true professionals and Snips was a revelation as a lead singer. I really hope this is not a one-off thing as they deserve a much wider audience. And the wife got to chat with Glen in Pizza Express before the show. A true nice man in a tough business.

Life Expectancy
Life Expectancy
by Dean Koontz

5.0 out of 5 stars Twist after twist, 26 Nov 2009
This review is from: Life Expectancy (Paperback)
I just loved this book. It takes a little while to understand the humour, but once you've got the concept it it a blast. The twists when they come are breath-taking and the whole thing hangs together really well. And just when you think it's safe . . .

Love Tattoo
Love Tattoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Great talent, 14 Feb 2009
This review is from: Love Tattoo (Audio CD)
I've only just come across Imelda through a newspaper article, and since then I've done the whole youtube thing to find out more about her, plus got this album. She is remarkable, as much for her own talent as the band she has around her. The album reflects faithfully the live sound - it's beautifully recorded with each instrument crystal clear. And as always, one thing leads to another, and I've had great pleasure in learning more about Darrel and his career. Looking forward to seeing them in London on 5 March. Particular mention for that great echoey snare sound that the drummer gets. The whole thing evokes a bygone era of smokey jazz clubs and yet is bang up to date and modern. A great achievement.

Live Flesh
Live Flesh
by Ruth Rendell

5.0 out of 5 stars Never ceases to amaze me, 23 Feb 2007
This review is from: Live Flesh (Paperback)
I'm reading this book at the moment - again. It nust be the 7th or 8th time for me to read it and each time I find things I missed. It's very dear to me as well becasue it covers areas of London that I know very well, but the character of Victor, as a previous reviewer has commented, is one of Ruth Rendell's enduring "villains". The commas are there because the character has been created with so many complex facets that the word villian is a hard one to apply. A wonderful book - I thought today that it probably is my favourite work of non-fiction ever, and that says something. Read, enjoy and think

Page: 1 | 2