Profile for J. Gillespie > Reviews

Content by J. Gillespie

J. Gillespie (London)

Page: 1 | 2
Father and Son (John Ray #2) (John Ray / LS9 crime thrillers)
Father and Son (John Ray #2) (John Ray / LS9 crime thrillers)
Price: 2.39

5.0 out of 5 stars More please, 12 April 2014
I had read the first book and then forgotten about it. As soon as I started this one it all came back to me and I realised how much I had enjoyed it. This book reinforces how good the character is. The story line moves along quite a bit so you have to wonder what is in store for us if there are another seven books to come. A thoroughly good read and really looking forward to number 3.

4 Track Mind
4 Track Mind
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: 4 Track Mind (MP3 Download)
Four cracking tracks, all in over in less than 15 minutes, but they leave you breathless. Listening to this very loud is like being at one of their shows - the speed at which "I don't want to know" is played is incredible. Each of these lads is a master at what they do - heaven only knows what Evan on drums, Josh on guitar and Pete on bass are going to be like in five years time if they are playing at this level now.

I've seen them live four times, each time they seem to lift it up from the previous time.

Yes, I'm a fan (and in my 60s) but I know true talent when I see it.

Haunted From Within (BOOK ONE) Maciek's Story : A Mystery & Detective Paranormal Action & Adventure Medical Thriller Conspiracy
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Be aware, it stops halfway through, 22 Nov 2013
I get the idea of a book which has a logical second volume. This defies any logic. It stops at what is apparently a random point with the exhortation to buy the second volume.

Fine if what you have just read stands alone, this does not.

A great shame as the underlying premis is sound and well set out. But to just stop like that is unacceptable and misleading.

The writing deserves more but i think I am being generous in giving this even 2 starts.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 10:07 AM GMT

Autobiography
Autobiography
Price: 3.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Perfect - this is exactly what an autobiography by Morrissey should be like. Elegantly written, the description of early life in an extended Irish family in Manchester makes you feel as if you are there. He is also achingly funny at times - the idea of a record being played in class which had "the nits swaying in rhythm" evokes those heady days of Nitty Nora the biddy explorer (if you were there you know what I mean).

It's not necessarily an easy or quick read but I have no doubt I will be re-reading this a number of times before I get everything.

It makes sense of a lot of the enigma which seems to surround Moz and helps to explain the man we see today.

Absolute Zero
Absolute Zero

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly good, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Absolute Zero (Audio CD)
Normally I listen to a new album once through and then come back to it as and when, or randomly. I have listened to this probably six times now and it just gets better.

The beauty of this band is that they can produce all of this live, whether in normal 'live band' lineup or sitting around with an acoustic guitar. The harmonies are exquisite. I can't understand why they are not having the success of fellow Dubs Kodaline (also an album well worth buying, by the way).

I cannot recommend this record highly enough.

Spider's Web: A Collection of All-Action Short Stories
Spider's Web: A Collection of All-Action Short Stories
Price: 0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and predictable, 31 July 2013
Sorry to say this book was not an enjoyable read. The three (very short)stories were predictable from the start and the whole purpose of the book seemed to be a trailer for the forthcoming full-length book.

FREE TO DIE
FREE TO DIE
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, 9 July 2013
This review is from: FREE TO DIE (Kindle Edition)
I'm afraid I found this a difficult book to read. There didn't appear to be a coherent story line and characters were not well defined. Sorry to say I abandoned the book half way through. Perhaps I will return to it and give it another go as I hate giving up on a book.

The Village Idiot Reviews (A Laugh Out Loud Comedy) (The Idiot Reviews Book 1)
The Village Idiot Reviews (A Laugh Out Loud Comedy) (The Idiot Reviews Book 1)
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not laugh-out-loud but amusing, 21 Mar 2013
It took me a little while to get into the idea of the book, that the life of the village is told through the overlapping product reviews. It's a nice idea and works fairly well. Things that crop up in one person's review are given somebody else's viewpoint in another.

The problem is that it's amusing but not rip-roaringly funny.

I'm glad I read it but I doubt if I will revisit it.

Redemption Song (Jack O'Neill Book 1)
Redemption Song (Jack O'Neill Book 1)
Price: 1.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific twist on the "cop and his partner" book, 12 Mar 2013
This is one of those books that you realise as you are reading it that you are really enjoying it and you don't want it to stop.

Just when you think you've seen it all with cop stories along comes this one with a different and fresh angle. The characters of Jack and Frank are well drawn and believable and you really find yourself rooting for Jack in dealing with his alcohol issue.

The only thing that grated with me was the author's use of the word 'gotten'. I don't think this is a normal Dublin word and it irritated me, but only slightly.

I would love to read more of these two so hopefully Derick is working on a follow-up.

The Rock
The Rock
Price: 0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good pointer to the future, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Rock (Kindle Edition)
Although I could only give this 3* I did enjoy it. The reason for only 3? It's a bit short - it feels like a body count was fitted in too quickly and it all came to a head a bit too soon. Also, there were some inconstencies which jarred a little.

On the very positive side, I enjoyed the setting and the characterisation - I was left wanting more of Sullivan, Broderick et al and I hope that there is more to come.

A very creditable first effort and here's to more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 6, 2012 2:17 PM GMT