Profile for Melanie Smith > Reviews

Content by Melanie Smith

Melanie Smith "~soulkiss~" (Merseyside UK)

Destination Punk: Barb Wire Dolls NEW UPDATED VERSION
Destination Punk: Barb Wire Dolls NEW UPDATED VERSION
by Svenja Block

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous punk rock photograpy book, 19 Sept. 2014
Having seen the PDF proof copy I can highly recommend it. If like me you love explosive rock n' roll photography, with some titillating and tantalising words you can't go far wrong. This is the first photography book of the Barb Wire Dolls and Svenja has done a marvellous job putting it all together - done with passion and dedication to her art. I'm sure you won't be disappointed, the photos are breathtaking and as a photographer myself inspires me to go out and grab a slice of their action too.

Daddy Was a Punk Rocker
Daddy Was a Punk Rocker

5.0 out of 5 stars What a roller-coaster ride...., 28 April 2013
Well I just couldn't wait for the hard copy to be published and although I had said to Adam I hated reading from my iphone I ended up installing the Kindle app and away I went. Within 24 hours I was totally consumed and couldn't put it down until I was on the final page.

I've just finished reading it now - my eyes are stinging with tears. It's a kind of bitter sweet tale, with characters that leap out of the pages.

It's not always an easy read, family attachments held together by threads, with many moments of sadness, disappointment and deep insecurities too, but what shines through the whole book is Adam's determination to succeed and leave his demons behind, despite everything life throws at him.

Adam has laid himself and his life wide open in this honest and well written memoir - hope your feeling proud Adam! I really enjoyed your book, here is a virtual hug!

Mel

AmazonBasics Carrying Case for Portable GPS Units (Black)
AmazonBasics Carrying Case for Portable GPS Units (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth buying for a sat nav case!!!, 17 Jun. 2012
Well this was classed as a case for a portable sat nav, it will fit it in if you pack it in extremely tight and don't want to get it out in a hurry. This case is more suitable for an ipod or iphone as it fits the iphone perfectly. So DO NOT buy this for a sat nav, it is a phone case.

Liverpool Eric's - all the best clubs are downstairs, everybody knows that...
Liverpool Eric's - all the best clubs are downstairs, everybody knows that...
by Jaki Florek + Paul Whelan

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of Eric's, 17 April 2009
This book has been painstakingly researched in depth, cataloguing not only Eric's but the whole Liverpool music scene since the early days of rock n roll.

Well March 18th at 9.30am I heard a loud thud upon my door mat, I went to see what the postman had brought me and to my most pleasant surprise it was a huge book called `Liverpool Eric's, all the best clubs are downstairs, everybody knows that..'. I immediately browsed to find the section which I had contributed to, chuckled at the old photos. The layout is wonderfully done, in a punk style text and dark edged pages giving it a vintage theme.

I love the way they have chosen the names for the chapter's, I am still working my way through the many pages, but you won't be disappointed. Read the interviews, the stories and see the photos, it brings it all to life again.I especially enjoyed reading all about Rodger Eagle and his history, the many tales from people who knew him.

I was a regular Eric's goer and I have a little piece in the book, so maybe you think I'm biased. However it is a huge tome of a book,hard to put down. If you like me enjoy reading about musical history especially one which you were part of, then you MUST buy the book.It's the book which had everything going for it but then something came along to scupper the proceedings, eventually after years of much passion, perseverance and determination from Jaki Florek, it came to press. Thanks to Jaki and Paul for your Eric's book and for making our memories a part of your history. I will treasure it!!

Mel

Out of Control: The Last Days of "The Clash"
Out of Control: The Last Days of "The Clash"
by Vince White

3.0 out of 5 stars Another side of The Clash, 27 Mar. 2009
The book was recommended to me by another musician who is well known in the business, he said it was hard to put down. I bought the book and thought the same, but having said that, I thought Vince came across as quite an angry young man, nasty at times and very hard to get on with, not a particular likeable character. It would be interesting what the other guys in the band at the time felt about him, obviously Joe isn't here to respond.The book was a little amateur and not particularly well written. The best thing about it was the cover but once inside it became a little disappointing. Kinda spoilt some of The Clash legend, especially Joe who he claimed to be rather egotistical and self obsessed. If you want to shatter some illusions, then read this book, if you want to think The Clash are the best original punk band stay away. It'd be interesting to see what Vince is up to now....this feels like cashing in, but who knows?