Profile for K. K. Jakubczyk > Reviews

Content by K. K. Jakubczyk

K. K. Jakubczyk "Sofa King" (Subversive Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Albertus Seba, Cabinet of Natural Curiosities (25)
Albertus Seba, Cabinet of Natural Curiosities (25)
by Albertus Seba

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful Taschen facsimile, 6 Sep 2014
At this price there is little to fault this superb facsimile. The content is essentially a very colourful reproduction of an eighteenth century private publication that in modern parlance would be described as a museum catalogue.

Seba's private collection of natural wonders must have been vast - as the helpful, and relatively comprehensive introductory text to this tome explains. The colour reproductions of his exhibits are of a good facsimile standard - clearly coming from an original source. In all honesty at this price the paper and the reproduction quality is not the best but I'm not about to let that become an issue. The content is outstanding and is likely to continue to reward the casual reader for many years. Sure this is a coffee table book but is one of the highest quality because of its wonderful content. Buy it in the confidence that you will actually enjoy it and keep coming back to it. Recommended.

Modern Architecture A-Z (Go)
Modern Architecture A-Z (Go)
by -

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but good introduction, 6 Sep 2014
As others have stated this is a basic introduction to this subject. It uses stock photographs and the text only provides the briefest of overviews of the individual, school or organisation being discussed. To my mind there are some minor omissions - Berg, for example. However, I must stress that these are not serious concerns. This is a mighty tome that contains much to enlighten and entertain. It will certainly serve as a spur towards further exploration. As with all Taschen publications in this price range, you get a lot of bang for your buck and the print and photographic reproduction is of a quality that ensures that this is a genuine bargain. Recommended.

26cm Polished Steel Paella Pan
26cm Polished Steel Paella Pan
Offered by The Paella Company Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality two-four person Paella Pan, 1 Sep 2014
I searched Epsom Town Centre high and low for a Paella Pan. Imagine my surprise when I couldn't find one.

I will confess that I am a fan of steel pans - I much prefer them over those nasty non-stick things. This pan is perfect. It was the right price, the right size (for two- four people), arrived quickly and was the missing ingredient in my paella-making. With the right care and attention I imagine that it will last for many years. Recommended.

Acer C720 11.6-inch Chromebook (Intel Celeron 2955U 1.4GHz Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Google Chrome)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cost effective alternative to my dear old iPad (RIP), 1 Sep 2014
I've been a long time iPad user - a product that over the years I've loved and cherished. However, my old first generation iPad was beginning to show its age; it also lacked a considerable degree of functionality. More critically my estranged wife wanted it back. The ensuing process of replacing my iPad has so far proved entirely painless. After considering options such as simple web browsers, netbooks (themselves a redundant product), traditional laptops, a newer iPad and even a desk top PC (surely not?), my interest in the potential capabilities of these newfangled Chromebooks was piqued.

Prior to my purchase I carried out the 'typical' research into this product. My requirements for this machine are fairly simple - 1) stable and secure web browser, 2) ability to upload photo images, and 3) some basic 'office' applications. Some of the reviews that I have read, both here and elsewhere, did make me feel a little apprehensive. In particular the machine's dependency on internet connection initially appeared like a significant limitation. However, I am pleased to say that after a few days of use - during which I carried out most of the basic tasks expected of this machine everything works perfectly and it has exceeded my basic requirements.

If you're after a basic computing machine, primarily interfacing with the internet then this will fit the bill. In my opinion it has a key advantages over the iPad and Surface - significantly in terms of price. Its dependence on web based apps suggests that these machines won't be everyone's cup of cha but it works for me. Recommended.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 12:23 PM BST

Hartmann Schedel. Chronicle of the World - 1493 (25)
Hartmann Schedel. Chronicle of the World - 1493 (25)
by Hartmann Schedel

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star Facsimile, 31 July 2014
This is truly a book for bibliophiles. A colorful facsimile of a late-medieval history written in Old German. This reproduction is well bound, comes in a solid slipcase and includes a seperate modern softcover appendix (about 100 pages long) that provides an overview of the original text. In very simple terms, this is a book that albeit written in a dead language will still give the reader hours of pleasure all for the price of a round of drinks (here in London). It is a bargain.

If you have a vague interest in the medieval period, love big heavy art books, or enjoy Umberto Eco then this needs to be on your shopping list. Much more than a coffee table ornament. Recommended.

Someday My Prince Will Come
Someday My Prince Will Come

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilled standards, 16 Nov 2013
I was a bit worried that this would be a little light weight (think Quiet Nights), I needn't have worried. This is a good collection of chilled standards that work well late at night or early on a Saturday/ Sunday morning. As others have said, Coltrane's playing is particularly noteworthy. Recommended.

Milf Island T shirt (Large)
Milf Island T shirt (Large)
Offered by Old Skool Hooligans

5.0 out of 5 stars Milf island - if only it existed, 20 Oct 2013
This is a great t-shirt. I like the colour (navy with yellow MI logo); it matches and compliments my usual mufti outfits. I also love the logo - it's a near perfect concept. Whilst in Nero's the other day I overheard a teenage boy comment to his girlfriend - "Look at that man, he's wearing a t-shirt with MILF Island written on it". I'm not sure if that was intended as a compliment (to my sartorial elegance) or an exclamation of disgust. Either way I appreciate the recognition.

Recommended to curmudgeons with a sense of humor, and love of 30 Rock.

Law Abiding Citizen [DVD]
Law Abiding Citizen [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler

4.0 out of 5 stars Nihilistic Black Comedy, 20 Oct 2013
This review is from: Law Abiding Citizen [DVD] (DVD)
Surprisingly gripping movie where our hero, played with reasonable force by Gerard Butler, fights the 'law' and ultimately looses.

The film makes a pretty good statement against a failing, target driven Criminal Justice System. The apparent heros, Jaimie Foxx and co are heartless bureaucrats pursuing their own agendas at the price of justice. Butler's character appears, at first, to be the helpless 'Everyman' cast adrift by the system. A ludicrous twist provides Foxx's character a hint of moral superiority but ultimately this is a film lacking any 'good guys' to make one feel good about our society. It is for that reason that I'd recommend it.

I've described this a black comedy because to my mind it pushes plausibility out the window within the first ten minutes and instead concentrates on irony. The Foxx character for all his dogma on justice has only his own interests at heart - he is, ironically, only interested in his family on the most superficial level; in contrast to Butler's character. Likewise in spite of it's all to clearly spelt out failings the 'system' ultimately wins, casting any sense of right aside. That is seriously funny.

Whilst this isn't a laugh out loud comedy, it's cynicism remains hilarious. Recommended for all disgruntled forty- something curmudgeons.

The Power Station
The Power Station

4.0 out of 5 stars Still rawks after all these years, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Power Station (Audio CD)
I originally bought this upon it's release - and my vinyl copy still gets a regular run on my turntable. I recently bought the CD release as a present for my friend Penny and I'm pleased to say she enjoys it as well.

Whilst in all honestly this record is a rather motley collection of songs - they work surprisingly well together; there are no real duffers. This is entirely down to the assembled cast (including production crew) and their sterling musicianship throughout - a very well put together record indeed. Dare I suggest the best supergroup record ever - well maybe.

If you're a forty something curmudgeon who enjoys the occasional trip to the 80s then this makes a mighty fine travelling companion. Recommended

Selected Signs 1
Selected Signs 1
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Monumental sampler, 13 Oct 2013
This review is from: Selected Signs 1 (Audio CD)
Rather like the curious installation that features as this disc's cover art this is a truly monumental sampler record. The selections are very good and guaranteed to pique the uniniated's interest in the ECM label - the rather obvious danger is that (rather like me) you'll end up buying up all the artists featured on the sampler. Oh well. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12