Profile for K. K. Jakubczyk > Reviews

Content by K. K. Jakubczyk

K. K. Jakubczyk "Sofa King" (Subversive Surrey)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Real Food for Cats: 50 Vet-Approved Recipes to Please the Feline Gastronome
Real Food for Cats: 50 Vet-Approved Recipes to Please the Feline Gastronome
by Patti Delmonté

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy cat cook book!, 21 April 2011
I bought this, on behalf of our cat Artur, as a birthday present for my wife. Quite frankly this book is insane, albeit in an extremely positive way...

In summary, the book contains about 50 or so recipes. Some of these are intended purely for feline consumption whilst a handful can be shared by both humans and cats. The recipes are uncomplicated and are punctuated by some very funny cat-cartoons; many involving tuxedo cats (just like Artur). The one downside is that Artur is so greedy that gastronomic quality rarely registers on his radar but that's hardly the fault of this fun book.

If, like my wife and I, you're a cat obsessive then I'd heartily recommend this little book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2012 8:52 AM BST

Motorcycle Dream Garages
Motorcycle Dream Garages
by Lee Klancher

4.0 out of 5 stars Very tasty, 21 April 2011
I bought this as a Christmas present for my bros-in-law and almost ended up keeping it for myself...

Although my interests lie with four-wheeled vehicles, the images contained within this tome almost resulted in a road to Damascus like conversion. Some guys have all the luck - namely, garages to die for! The contents strike a reasonable balance between modern high-end/ high-spec garages and the traditional guys-in-their very cluttered sheds. I lean more to the latter state of mind as it reminds me of my Dear Old Dad, his workplace ( in the 70s) and his garage at our family home. Consequently, I particularly love the chapter on the Japanese owned old-school LA bike shop - WOW! Jay Leno's collection, in it's hanger-like home also serves to inspire and amaze...

This is a great present for petrol heads and dreamers. Recommended.

Scarlet Passion: Ferrari's Famed Sports Prototypes and Competition Sports Cars 1963-73
by Anthony Pritchard

5.0 out of 5 stars Good balance of text and images, 21 April 2011
I bought this book after receiving Mr Pritchard's book on the 250GTO for Christmas. This tome is every bit as good. If you enjoy sports racing prototypes then this is a must buy. The mix of text and images is spot on, allowing one to dip-in and out as mood and time take you.

The section on the 250LM is great - although it would be nice to have an entire volume dedicated to that vehicle. Good stuff - recommended.

Races, Faces, Places: The Motor Racing Photography of Michael Cooper
Races, Faces, Places: The Motor Racing Photography of Michael Cooper
by Paul Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 21 April 2011
My wife bought me a copy of this book for my birthday and I am very grateful that she did; it's a wonderful revue of Michael Cooper's work.

This is so much more than just a pretty coffee table/ picture book - the images (and their reproduction) are superb and Paul Parker's commentary is insightful and extremely witty. This is a must have for all self-respecting motorcar/motor racing enthusiasts. I am confident that I'll still be regularly browsing through this tome in ten years time - excellent stuff.

Kancheli: Magnum Ignotum, Simi
Kancheli: Magnum Ignotum, Simi

3.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and brooding, 14 Nov. 2010
This isn't a record for everyone. Both pieces are ever-so sullen. However, the intense atmosphere created by the music, especially Rostropovich's playing on Simi, and the choir samples in Magnum Ignotum really raise this record up to the stratosphere. It kind of reminds me of Stravinsky, rather than Part but that's probably just me - I guess that's no bad thing either.

I really like this record and like to 'enjoy' it whilst ruminating in my shed. The perfect soundtrack for the bleak English winter. Recommended.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2012 12:57 PM BST

Sunflower/Surf's Up
Sunflower/Surf's Up

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply outstanding value for your money!, 14 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Sunflower/Surf's Up (Audio CD)
After hearing these two albums you'd be forgiven for questioning whether Pet Sounds is the Beach Boys true high water-mark; the songwriting on these two is (almost) as good as Pet Sounds - it really is.

There isn't a single duff track on Sunflower. That's all I can say! Classics such as Add Some Music and This Whole World sit comfortably alongside no lesser gems like Got to Know the Woman, Dierdre (my favorite), Forever, Tears in the Morning, and At My Window...I could go on.

Surf's Up is slightly less consistent, which is perhaps representative of what was happening within the group dynamic. Nevertheless, Disney Girls, Student Demonstration Time (how apt?) and Long Promised Road hold everything together wonderfully. Then we have brief insights into Brian Wilson's genius in the form of Till I Die and Surf's Up. They speak for themselves.

Coupling these two records together has created a bargain of almost unheard of proportions. This is music that you'll listen to and enjoy for the rest of your life - don't look this gift horse in the mouth!

Secret Story
Secret Story
Offered by \/\/ WORLD WIDE MEDIA MARKET /\/\

4.0 out of 5 stars A good place to start..., 14 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Secret Story (Audio CD)
Secret Story is a good place to start your journey into all things Metheny - just like some of the other reviewers it's where I started, way back in the early 1990s. After religiously falling the great man ever since, I've come to the view that he has produced better records (try Beyond the Missouri Sky if you want to hear some truly sublime music), nevertheless, Secret Story still gets a regular play - for all its failings it remains a firm favorite.

Let me be absolutely straight: there's very little wrong with this record in terms of the musicianship - Pat is as good as he's ever been here and there's no faults elsewhere. I guess it all boils down to personal taste (the Penguin Guide doesn't rate the record - but I still like it). So what's wrong with it? Well it is a touch saccharin in places, which made me cry (thinking about my late Dad) and that is a good thing.

Stand out tracks for me are Facing West, where Pat's playing is particularly fine; Finding and Believing, which is the best showcase for Pat's world music interests; Rain River; and Antonia. The use of the London Orchestra really adds to Pat's music - those who are interested should also check out Pat's score for Map of the World, which is also mighty fine.

All in all a great start to the journey - and a wonderful place to visit from time to time.

Orchestrion
Orchestrion

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary!, 4 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Orchestrion (Audio CD)
Every once in a while Pat comes up with a record that confirms his status as a musical visionary. This, his latest record, serves as yet another example of his talent and foresight.

Just like a number of other customers I wasn't too hopeful about the overall concept - the conceit of an automated orchestra feels like a gimmick (or a comprehensive spending review, as one of my colleagues suggested) but is far from being the case. Even a casual listener will have his or her mind boggled by the detail of music present within this record. The very idea that it has been 'assembled' rather than performed (by live musicians) appears impossible. In that respect I totally agree with the recent BBC Music magazine review, which states that far from sounding mechanical, this is in reality one of the warmest and most human of Pat's recent recordings. For me the title track is Pat's finest (opening track) since 'A night away' (from Quartet). Highly recommended.

As a postscript; I foolishly turned down my wife's offer of seeing the pieces performed (at the Barbican) earlier this year. I'm going to regret that decision for some time to come.

Look Around
Look Around

5.0 out of 5 stars What is there not to like?, 30 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Look Around (Audio CD)
Indeed, what is there not to like? The cover art does not lie. This is Sergio and Brazil '66 at their very best. Put this on your car stereo and you're instantly transported to better and more innocent times.

When I play this record I imagine myself taking the coastal route down to Antibes or Cannes - wonderful. The track 'Look around' is a standout, whilst 'Tristeza' and 'The Frog' are also firm bossa favorites. On the Beatles cover (Help from my Friends), Sergio shows John, Paul and co how it should have been done first time around. Highly recommended to all dreamers.

Faure: Requiem [Requiem/ Ave Verum Corpus/ Tantum Ergo/ Ave Maria/ Cantique]
Faure: Requiem [Requiem/ Ave Verum Corpus/ Tantum Ergo/ Ave Maria/ Cantique]

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful recording, 30 Oct. 2010
I bought this CD on the strength of the recent BBC Magazine recommendation. I am very pleased that I did. This is a beautiful recording of a wonderful piece of music. John Rutter's presence is an added bonus. Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12