Profile for gmk > Reviews

Berlin: Sound of an Era
Berlin: Sound of an Era
by Marko Paysan

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good buy!, 9 Jun. 2016
I beautiful coffee table book in bilingual text, German and English, with three CDs in the back cover. Truly very well made, for lovers of Berlin, historically sound in the literal sense - and cheaper than in Germany !

Kamala: A novel set on the epic overland trail to India
Kamala: A novel set on the epic overland trail to India
by Mr Nicholas John Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars I very much enjoyed reading Kamala, 6 Jan. 2015
I very much enjoyed reading Kamala, in particular because I did the hippie trail twice during the early seventies. Adam, the main character, takes the long route, via France and Italy and Greece, finally he arrives at the famous Pudding Shop in Istanbul and travels on through Turkey, Iran and Afghanistan, over the Khyber pass into Peshawar, then Amritsar, Delhi and finally Dharamsala in the mountains of north India, where he finds his feet on his romantic journey of finding "the truth".... The book is full of descriptions of landscapes, towns and peoples, and it is very well written indeed. We also meet other Westerners on the hippie trail, descriptions how it was when 'we' were in our early twenties, you know what I mean! There is a long section of how he and Feathers, one of his travel companions, stayed in Bamiyan, long before the Bhuddas got destroyed by the Taliban. In that section we learn that Adam is keeping a diary. I had wondered already how all those wonderful and detailed descriptions of the lands he crossed could have been remembered and it was good to learn why it appeared so authentic and I can only recommend reading it yourself!

Bulova Accutron Gents Silver Tone Skeleton Bracelet Watch 63A001
Bulova Accutron Gents Silver Tone Skeleton Bracelet Watch 63A001

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful watch but lacks substantial functionality, 28 Mar. 2014
The watch is beautiful but not easy to read and too heavy: That the watch is beautiful should give her easily 5 stars but after wearing it for a week now I feel that the fact that it is very difficult to read as soon as the light is a bit dimmer is annoying and therefore I feel one star needs to be removed because the purpose of a wrist watch, after all, is to give the time sufficiently comfortable. Now to the fact that the watch is too heavy. At first the watch was too lose and the crown pressed on the skin of my upper hand, producing a sore after one day. Next I tried out the different ways of shortening the steel band. Eventually I found the most comfortable position but still can't wear the watch 100% comfortable because it is generally too heavy for a wrist watch. Now, I am big guy and should be able to wear a heavy watch, but this watch is clearly too heavy. This is the reason why I have removed a second star. The two points I made in my critique of this otherwise beautiful and very solid watch is very unfortunately because, clearly, the designers of the watch did not look at functionality when making its design. This is very sad and I have to give in and admit my disappointment also the watch is otherwise very masculine, very solid, Sapphire glass and 100m water proved - because of the negligence for functionality as a male wrist watch the watch should be taken off the market and redesigned.

The Mountains of Romania: A Guide to Walking in the Carpathian Mountains (Cicerone Mountain Walking)
by James Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars hiking guide for Carpathian mountains in Romania, 15 Mar. 2014
Also I changed my destination for private reasons, I thought this guide really lived up to what one expects from a good guide. It might not be perfect for the Internet age but it is very well written and the author really knows his stuff - very usfull indeed!

HTC DESIRE C - BLACK LEATHER FLIP CASE COVER POUCH + FREE SCREEN PROTECTOR & MINI TOUCH STYLUS PEN FROM GB ONLINE SALES
Offered by GB Online Sales

5.0 out of 5 stars cover for HTC desire C, 15 Mar. 2014
Real good value for money, very solid and lasting! Would recommend any time... Thank you for a very good product

iTALKonline PadWear BLACK Executive BOOK Wallet Case Cover Shield Slot for Amazon Kindle 4 (4G) Global Wireless 3G 6" 6 inch 2011 Model
Offered by iTALKonline-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars kindle cover, 15 Mar. 2014
Very good and real value for price. I am now using it on my kindle for almost a month and it seems to stand the test of time...

Folio Case for 9.7" Tablet in pu Leather
Folio Case for 9.7" Tablet in pu Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars 9.7", 15 Mar. 2014
Works very well for Icarus eXel 9.7" since it can be adapted with sharp knife cutting into the real leather for making buttons visible and easy to used

ICARUS eXceL 9.7" e-reader WiFi Touch
ICARUS eXceL 9.7" e-reader WiFi Touch

3.0 out of 5 stars ICarus eXels 9.7" reader doesn't really meet expectations for comfortable pdf reading, 15 Mar. 2014
I think for what it delivers it is a bit too expensive. I bought it to read academic pdfs but soon realised that because the pdfs from scholarly and other providers are formatted in different ways, the options Icarus provides to for example enlarge text don't always make it comfortably readable, for example, the fonts enlargement option might scramble the text, or the embold text option might not work on a certain pdf setting, or because odd and even pages of a pdf are set with different right and left margins doesn't allow to move the page quick and comfortably enough for reading (the stylo doesn't work precise enough and their is not a touch screen)... The idea behind Icarus to have a dedicated large enough screen e-ink pdf reader is very good but I think the product is still too much in its infancy. Would I by it again, I am not sure. I am still thinking of printing the pdfs out I want to read because Icarus is not easy enough to use for the various needs pre-formatted pdfs request for easy reading... I therefore give it only a perhaps mean but honest 3 stars!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2016 12:50 PM BST