Profile for salemskye.com > Reviews

Content by salemskye.com

salemskye.com "salemskye" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Kick-Ass - 3
Kick-Ass - 3
by Mark Millar

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the Kick Ass series - just as books alone ..., 7 April 2015
This review is from: Kick-Ass - 3 (Hardcover)
I love the Kick Ass series - just as books alone they are decadent, saturated in colour and highly developed panels. The hardback volumes weigh a bloody ton too which makes reading in bed a power-lifting exercise. This is to be the last in the Kick Ass story and ties up a lot of loose ends. Dave (Kick Ass) is leading the Justice Forever group and to be honest they are less superheroey and more superwhiny these days. Like all modern life, the boredom and routine has settled in. Dave can't even get the energy together to help Mindy (Hit Girl) get free from the mental asylum/prison that she has been sent to. But someone's coming for Kick Ass and he will really need to get his sh*t together.

It's sad to see a great series end so soon but I think that it is the right time - I don't want to become bored like Justice Forever!

The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2
The Rosie Effect: Don Tillman 2
by Graeme Simsion
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed the first novel, 7 April 2015
I enjoyed the first novel, The Rosie Project, immensely, so when I found out that there was a sequel (which bizarrely didn't come out with much fanfare given the success of the first book) I snapped it up.

The Rosie Effect continues the relationship between Rosie and Don - Rosie is attending uni and working towards her PhD and Don is a researcher on a big project. It's not a spoiler to tell you that Rosie falls pregnant and this book is really about Don coming to terms with becoming a father and all the changes that Rosie goes through.

I didn't enjoy it at all - it's not nearly as charming and funny as the first book. I found Rosie to be inconceivably difficult - it's almost as if Simsion changes her personality to suit the story line that he foresees with Don. Don's actions are not so horrendous as to explain some of Rosie's reactions. And Gene - who was such a funny, vital character in the first book, is reduced to a cipher.

Very disappointing.

Ghosts and Ruins
Ghosts and Ruins
by Ben Catmull

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed it, it's like having the work of Thomas ..., 7 April 2015
This review is from: Ghosts and Ruins (Hardcover)
Ghost and Ruins is a collection of little poems / vignettes accompanied by a full page, scratchboard illustration. The pictures and poems focus on the macabre, the odd, the bizarre and the slightly malevolent. I really enjoyed it, it's like having the work of Thomas Ott (one of my favourite artists) with words. Some of the poems are just a couple of lines, but they focus each on a mysterious house or building offering shelter. A particular favourite of mine was "The Lighthouse : Trespassers always come back dazed and incoherent." It is accompanied by a haunting, skeletal figure looking up at you from the spiral stairwell. Obviously these poems are about what flashes through our minds when we see a mysterious house but it's also about letting your imagination run riot. I loved it.

Colder
Colder
by Juan Ferreyra

5.0 out of 5 stars I love comics but I especially like comics of the dark, 7 April 2015
This review is from: Colder (Paperback)
I love comics but I especially like comics of the dark, macabre, bloody, crazy and often serial killer kind. This book had all of that in spades. Colder occupies two worlds, here in the present and a parallel present where people with mental health problems reside. Back in the 1920s Declan Thomas was in a mental asylum which was visited by Nimble Jack, a being that eats the crazy out of people. A fire raged through the asylum the same night and Nimble Jack chooses to make Declan cold so that he will survive and presumably can be eaten later.

In the present day, Declan resides with a nurse in her home. He had been shifted around mental asylums for years and finally there was no place for him so he sits in Reece's house frozen in place, never saying a word. Until Nimble Jack returns for him and the two worlds, sanity and insanity, collide.

I absolutely loved this book. It's clever, horrific and Declan in a truly engaging character. The artwrok is superb and even in Ferreyra's sketches at the end of the book you can see the care and attention that has gone into creating Nimble Jack and Declan. Can't wait for the next volume.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars ... twice and Asylum volume 1 once - both are amazing and will get you fitter than you have ever ..., 4 Feb. 2015
I have completed Shaun T's original Insanity twice and Asylum volume 1 once - both are amazing and will get you fitter than you have ever been before. But they do take up an hour and when you are using these workouts for your cardio then doing weights on top, it can take a chunk of your day. This is perfect - an Insanity workout in 30 minutes and it is 30 minutes - the cool down is 2 minutes after not included in the 30 minutes. There's new moves and everything is fast - super fast! The speed tricep dips will kill your arms! I love it and there's nothing like getting an Insanity sweat on. Shaun T is pretty good at keeping you motivated, I even scream at the TV when he asks you too. If you want to get genuinely fit and I mean genuinely fit not just your run-of-the-mill celeb fitness DVD that does very little for you, then Insanity in all its many variations is the programme for you.

Revival
Revival
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars What I like about reading Stephen King is that you are guaranteed ..., 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Revival (Hardcover)
Stephen King get a lot of stick and Stephen King fans bear a fair amount too but I am a happy-to-be fan. What I like about reading Stephen King is that you are guaranteed a story. Yes, one that the plot takes precedent to prose, but that's why we humans read and have a history of story-telling. But you are guaranteed a story. You are also guaranteed characters that you immediately 'get'. His characters are steeped in the ordinary, normalcy and therefore you buy it, allowing King to introduce the extraordinary which you automatically accept.

Revival is no different. The extraordinary in the ordinary. Jamie Morton is a small boy in the 60s. A new pastor comes to town and Jamie and Charles immediately strike up a friendship. One that will take them to old age, despite themselves. Charles has a hobby - he loves electricity. Think Tesla in a tunic. He plays with electricity and one day, cures Jamie's older brother using a sort of DIY electroshock therapy.

Then one day something horrific happens and Charles suffers a devastating blow that shakes his faith in God. When he delivers a rant at church, he is asked to leave and Jamie doesn't seem again until they are both older.

Cue a carnival and Jamie - ex-Rock star, junkie, washed up has been - sees and older Charles perform. He is now doing a strange electricity show where he 'cures' people with his magic rings. They come into contact again and Charles turns his curing power to Jamie's drug addiction and hooks him up with a job with a previous 'patient'.

But these people Charles cures - what becomes of them? What are the side effects of their cure? These are the questions that begin to haunt Jamie and he tries to get the answers. Ultimately Jamie finds himself in a situation of both wanting and hating Charles' power.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Spanning a long period, I felt immersed in the story and the characters at all times. Being a bit of a fan of Tesla, I especially liked the subject matter. I found the use of electricity being the 'horror' with the mad scientist who used to be a religious person, quite fascinating. Highly recommended.

The Girl Who Couldn't Read
The Girl Who Couldn't Read
by John Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars the more he becomes convinced that there must be a better way to help these people, 11 Jan. 2015
Dr John Shepherd arrives to work in a psychiatric hospital. He is the new assistant to the head, Dr Morgan. But Shepherd is hiding a secret, one only matched by the secrets held by the hospital itself. He is not Shepherd. He is a career criminal who has done away with the real Shepherd and assumed his identity. For once he finds himself in a situation that is stranger and more false than himself. The Chief Nurse hates him inexplicably. He is forbidden to go to the top floor of the hospital and a murderous woman haunts the corridors at night, filled with deadly intention.

All this gothic horror aside, Shepherd is intrigued by one of the patients - a young girl. The more Shepherd witnesses of the hospital and pyschiatric procedures, the more he becomes convinced that there must be a better way to help these people. He becomes entrenched, studying medical books, studying new advance and theories and persuades the stubborn Dr Morgan to try out some of these theories. Morgan allows him to pick one patient, isolate them from the rest of the residents and treat them with the new theories. Morgan is convinced it will fail and prove him right.

Shepherd picks the young girl. Fans of Harding's previous, amazing book, Florence and Giles, will recognise the young girl. Therefore fear her too.

I absolutely loved this book. Loved it. If you are a Florence and Giles fan, then I promise you will not be remotely disappointed. Harding is the new King of Gothic Horror.

Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding Quartet)
Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding Quartet)
by David Peace

4.0 out of 5 stars This isn't to say that the book was bad or so depressing that I couldn't face the next ..., 11 Jan. 2015
I have long wanted to read this series of books and started with 1974 a few months ago. Little did I know that it would be so grim, so gritty, so grimy that I wouldn't be able to read them one after the other and haven't picked up 1977 yet. This isn't to say that the book was bad or so depressing that I couldn't face the next book, far from it, the world Peace created is so realistic and so...I haven't even got the words...grim doesn't begin to encompass it.

Eddie Dunford is a journo, 1974, Yorkshire and he gets caught up in a child murder that captures the public imagination and threatens to tear apart everything and everyone it touches. The girl is found with swan wings stitched to her back. But no one is a angel here and heaven is an impossible ideal.

The murder serves as a black hole that all aspects of public life get pulled into and corrupted. The most interesting aspect is watching Eddie Dunford's destruction as he spirals downward carrying out his investigation.

I have seen the TV drama based on these books, in which Andrew Garfield plays Dunford. I don't feel that my having seen this show has spoiled my reading of the book in anyway - so would recommend anyone to read them. I am both looking forward to 1977 and fearing it.

Printer's Devil Court
Printer's Devil Court
by Susan Hill

2.0 out of 5 stars Usually I am a fan of Susan Hill - I love her previous scary books, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Printer's Devil Court (Hardcover)
Susan Hill continues her series of little ghost/horror stories with Printer's Devil Court. This outing is about body snatching, bringing the dead to life - the stuff of Burke and Hare and for more cinematic consumers, Flatliners. 3 medical students make a pact to bring a body back to life however rather than re-animating a corpse they fuse a dead man with a recently passed yonger body.

Usually I am a fan of Susan Hill - I love her previous scary books, notably The Woman in White which has taken on a life of its own, and her straight family dramas - but this book is devoid of life, much like a reanimated corpse or the body parts scavanged to do so. It truly was a chore to read and for a tiny book of 106 pages, this is quite disappointing. I feel that it may have been a better read at one sitting but I won't know now. Ironically, I think it was too cold, too clinical and we were held at a distance from the events by the framing technique used. It just didn't work for me.

Till It's Gone [Explicit]
Till It's Gone [Explicit]

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this song, 28 Dec. 2014
Love this song. Came to my attention through the amazing Sons Of Anarchy but I love to listen to it. So catchy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20