Profile for Elessar Tetramariner > Reviews

Content by Elessar Tetram...

Elessar Tetramariner (ely, cambridgeshire, england)

Page: 1 | 2
Monterey International Pop Festival June 16-17-18 1967
Monterey International Pop Festival June 16-17-18 1967
Offered by playanywhere

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 6 Oct 2011
I don't know who assembled this box set, but I think they were unable to obtain rights to publish the music. Patrick Humphries declaring that Steve Miller was unable to show up obviously didn't read the fact that Miller's live take of "Mercury Blues" is in the 4 cd set. Eric Burdon & the Animals set is reduced to 2 songs (I assume for space reasons [I have seen far more of their set on American dvd], and Quicksilver Messenger Service are deleted entirely. Although the sound quality is quite acceptable, the cd compiler ignored certain acts entirely, thus this does NOT represent the entirety of the festival, but is an expensive way to find out only partly what went down in Monterey in the summer of 1967. No Simon & Garfunkel? Give me me a break! Caveat emptor.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2013 11:04 PM BST

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese - 206g
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese - 206g
Offered by SOUTH AFRICAN FOODS

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, reliable for kids in the 1960s and 1970s., 24 Sep 2011
In the middle 1960s, when our mom and dad were away working at 'after school snack-time', my brothers and I performed several experiments on Kraft Dinner. We chopped up sour pickles, dehydrated (minced, dried) onions, lots of black pepper,Heinz Ketchup and sometimes (I confess: Kraft cheese products.)

This was when we were young and had little idea about hot sauces! [Yes we fixed that problem eventually :)]
Later,as a broke college student, Kraft Dinner was 19 cents a box--so of course we had to buy the butter & milk, for a lot more than the modest Kraftpack, in Oregon, but none of us shivering souls went hungry that winter.

The basic instructions are as plain General Foods' Aunt Jemima pancake mixes and Uncle Ben's rices.The beauty is you can add almost *anything*.

I do love a fancy pasta,cheese, milk with sauteed onions, zucchini/courgette, tomato, button mushroom,pepper, bread crumbs, with butter, dashes of basil, oregano, marjoram & thyme & second-pressing olive oil. But HERE is the basis of all those later experimental ingredients 48 years later.
Consider Kraft Dinner as a base, to either learn how to start cooking, or to make when it's been too long an evening, as the recipe is your DNA!

Merriweather Post Pavilion
Merriweather Post Pavilion

5.0 out of 5 stars *Nothing* wrong with the music, but, 21 Jan 2009
A lyric sheet--let alone a track listing!--did not come with my sealed copy of 'Merriwether Post Pavilion', which I agree, is their most sophisicated & gorgeously trippy cd I've heard (I also have 'Straw Bura' and 'Feels'). Fans of Rick Wright's songs on Pink Floyd's 'A Saucerful Of Secrets', 40 years ago (as well as some of the singles he composed in the late 60s for the Floyd)will be having a bit of "what if?" syndrome, and it's a shame he died before probably hearing that some of his visions did come true...just not with Waters, Gilmour & Mason. Someone mentioned the Fleet Foxes. To those I'd add Field Music and latter-day Flaming Lips (and the long forgotten Seventh Wave's first lp) as some referent points of a more contemporary nature, though it sonically busier than all of them combined, thanks to amazing production and liberal use of sequencers on amphetamines.

Lack of informative contents of a literary/lyrical nature would make me rate this 4 1/2 stars, if I could. Anyone finding the cover too trippy has probably never done psychedelics in their entire life; I find it rather mundane!

The Butcher's Ballroom
The Butcher's Ballroom

5.0 out of 5 stars BalRocks!, 4 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Butcher's Ballroom (Audio CD)
Heavens to Murgatroyd! Just when I didn't think I could get more woken up in Sept. 2008. Operatic? Swing? Metal? With latin lyrics?!!. Man, I haven't heard anything like this since Shriekback, but with a soprano to die for, too! Barry Andrews should hear this. It's got that deep jungle rumbarumba. sharp horns, zoom bass, crisp drums, sizzling guitar...and oh yes, that Woman!!
As they used to say when I was a youth, far f***ing out! Now I am pastiche-ing the Fellowship Of The Ring in Moria doing a scat dance as they escape over bridge after collapsing bridge, chased by the orcs, then the Balrog but given it a cinematic charleston dance just for a moment. One more time for the folks, kids.
Fabulous! Get this cd now...before it disappears forever.

Oh Mama--Plus
Oh Mama--Plus

4.0 out of 5 stars An under-appreciated woman, 2 Jan 2008
This review is from: Oh Mama--Plus (Audio CD)
I discovered Kristin's music in the 1980s. A sometimes fiery, sometimes funny, sometimes empathic feminist singer, Kristin comes from the heartland of Illinois--Champagne/Urbana, I believe.She had her mom,a classical pianist, play "L'Isle Joyeuse" to fill out the original "Oh Mama!". Here she has included the best tracks from the lp, released I think in the late 1970s, as well as songs she recorded in the 1990s. "Women Walk More Determined", "The 50s Sound", and "I Wasn't Surprised" are still favorites. Kristin is a folksinger first and foremost, and would not have been out of place in the later protest period of 1960s folk: she was a half-generation late. If you like Cris Williamson, Ferron, Holly Near, Malvina Reynolds and/or Peggy Seeger, Kristin Lems will be a wonderful new voice in your home.I'm surprised to even see her on Amazon here in England, but am glad her music may bubble up through the soil here,too. Shine on, Kristin.

The Serpent (In Quicksilver) / Abandoned Cities
The Serpent (In Quicksilver) / Abandoned Cities
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Great work, but low on value, 22 Dec 2007
I did buy Harold's ep "A serpent in quicksilver" upon release, and loved it. It was far to short to justify the price at the time, but I was enthralled by "A Plateaux Of Mirror", which, with Brian Eno, constituted my favorite overall Ambient series lp by Eno. ["Thursday Afternoon" and "Apollo:Atmospheres & Soundtracks" are gorgeous for certain times--check them out for great atmospherics. They were not in Eno's LP series of ambient albums.I believe "Thursday Afternoon was the first cd-only release, clocking in around 63 minutes. I have put in on in early morning many a time and been 'heightened'

"Abandoned Cities" hadn't quite the charm, wistfullness & misty autumness as Budd's "Serpent" ep, but it held for those long sessions when you want to cook, talk, or read a book...on a dark afternoon in early autumn. ["Lovely Thunder" is great for spring mornings before you go see how much you have to do with the garden this year.]

As Eno said at the *almost* beginning, when interviewed about "Ambient1: Music For Airports", "ambient music should be as listen-able as it is ignorable". Together, I believe the "Serpent & Cities" make a better package than prior, so if you do not own this pair, I do recommend them.

Deep Purple In Rock - Anniversary Edition
Deep Purple In Rock - Anniversary Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars You want hard rock? THIS is Hard Rock., 25 Sep 2007
I was 16 when I picked this up in 1970. I had already dug the first incarnation of Purple's work on "Lalena" by Donovan,"Blind","Chasing Shadows", "Hard Road (Wring That Neck)", "The Shield", the stunning baroque rock "April", "Emmeretta", "Bird Has Flown"...but when Nic Simper & Rod Evans were replaced by Ian Gillian & Roger Glover, we had a *whole* different animal. This was the same year that "Led Zeppelin II" and "Black Sabbath" crossed my turntable....and this still gets played whenever I need a shot of adrenaline over the other two.This is truly the first major limb on the massive tree of metal rock.

Much as I have a fondness for the energy of punk music, I gotta tell the youngsters, "There was a reason these 'older', precursor, bands played in arenas: they were the only places big enough to contain the fans, the band and the sheer SOUND.
Without Jon Lord on keyboards, they MIGHT have been just another rock band. Jon was vying with Keith Emerson & Rick Wakeman for the title of King of Keys. He might not be as dextrous as speeder Emerson (possibly the fastest keyboard alive during the late 60s & 70s), or as whimsical and imaginative as Wakeman, but he laid down some soul, my oh my. " Child In Time" and " Lazy" (from 'Machine Head') show what the man could coax out. Whooo-hooo! Blackmore's hardly every been better than here.
They were kids! Early 20s, tops. Eat your heart out, Metallica. As for ACDC,Nirvana,Sonic Youth,Judas Priest,Van Halen--just remember whose lap you sat on before you diss the mother.

The Philip Lynott Album
The Philip Lynott Album

4.0 out of 5 stars the finest moments are shooting stars, 27 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Philip Lynott Album (Audio CD)
Oh, Phil...for "Ode to Liberty" (The Protest Song), you have redeemed Mark Knopfler.'Give me you poor, give me your needy'? Bush would have squirmed if he had heard this, as he should have. The piano is like a tired angel walking back. The boys are back in town? yes, okay but...*this* song... is Phil's finest moment. I think he knew he was on his way out of this life. I am so proud of a man I never knew.He spoke for all of us. "stating the obvious"? no kidding, stranger in a strange land.

Children Of The Morning
Children Of The Morning

3.0 out of 5 stars Corrections, 11 April 2006
This review is from: Children Of The Morning (Audio CD)
I haven't heard this yet, but I have to correct a reviewer: Neil Diamond is credited as having written "I'm A Believer", not John Stewart--all these long years. I have been a KT fan since 1959, and liked all incarnations, so this is a must-buy.

After Murder Park
After Murder Park
Offered by Japan-Select

3.0 out of 5 stars Shoot the engineer, 22 May 2004
This review is from: After Murder Park (Audio CD)
This could have been a great album, with different vocal mixing. I cannot understand what is being sung because the guitar track takes front and center. This is one were I would take the bed tracks and adjust the input to the final mix. Darn shame. Same reason Michael Stipe in the early years, and, well, ye olde Pink Floyd pissed me off in there respective early years.
If you want just snarl worlds nobody can hear into your microphone, do not expect anyone to get your point, let alone listen to you singing strong (in Auteurs' case) lyrics.
The mixer should have been shot for thinking a guitar gritch was more important than a clean vocal track that can be heard & understood by Americanos.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2010 3:41 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2