Profile for Mr. S. C. Burge > Reviews

Content by Mr. S. C. Burge

Mr. S. C. Burge "deleted_dvds" (Norfolk, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Silver Age
Silver Age
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Sugar - reprise?, 2 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
I've folloewed Bob Mould since the glory days of 'Copper Blue' and during college 'Sugar' formed the staple part of my music diet. I don't need to discuss 'Copper Blue' or 'Beaster' as they speak for themselves, and whilst I've listened to every solo album since then, I've never heard one that smacks so much of the old days. Layered, textured sounds, merging over melodious rock riffs, raw and unpolished - it really sounds like 'Sugar' all over again. And that's a good thing. Stand out tracks for me are the brilliant 'The Descent' which could have been taken from 'Copper Blue' (yes, it's THAT good) and Silver Age, a rip rawing blister of a song. Mould's heavy lyrics add to the mood and what you are left with is a assault on the senses. A blistering rip-roaring clash of sounds that is totally unique and is charateristic of Mould's sound. I missed the recent 'Sugar' show due to work commitments, but hell, if he plays in the UK again, consider my ticket bought. 'Download' I hope you are listening......

LEGO Legends of Chima 70115: Ultimate Speedor Tournament
LEGO Legends of Chima 70115: Ultimate Speedor Tournament
Offered by Classic Japan

1.0 out of 5 stars Thunder...Thunder...Thunder....Lego?, 10 Jan. 2013
Hmmm. Lego's new Chima range has caused an outrage amoungst older Lego fans as the similarities between the range and WB's Thundercats is unmistakeable. How sad that Lego have had to resort to copying an old '80's cartoon. Can they not come up with new ideas? I hope WB take action as being a Thundercats fan it makes me angry to think that Lego are cashing in on the Thundercats range. Had they have bitten the bullet and brought out an official Thundercats range - great! I would have bought the lot - but now, I won't be buying any. Save your cash and teach Lego a lesson.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2013 6:32 AM BST

Avatar with Limited Edition Lenticular Artwork (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sam Worthington

1.0 out of 5 stars No extended 3d edition, 21 Nov. 2012
This is the bog standard theatrical 3d release, which is amazing but wait until the extended 3d version comes out before parting with your cash. Everyone already owns the standard DVD, then the blu ray, then the extended blu ray and now the standard 3d? Wait for the extended 3d and save your cash. I wish Fox would stop messing consumers about and realise that fans don't want to be continual ripped off. We've waited long enough just release the version we want.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2013 8:14 AM GMT

Silverlit V-Jet Full Tilt VTOL 3-Channel Radio Control Aeroplane (Colour and Frequency Varies)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great plane - but issues with turning left and right, 7 Jun. 2012
Firstly, this plane was fantastic interms of instant fun. It can be assmebled quickly out of the box and charging can be done quickly and you'll be flying in an hour. The charging lead is very short and can be difficult to slot in, but works fine. The plane has 2 modes both which work fine and are fun to use. I bought this plane for my nine year old son who loved it.

The problem is when you fly the thing. It climbs up in the air very quickly and at this point unless there is absolutely NO wind at all, the plane will drift off into the distance as turning it left and right is almost impossible. I've tried myself numerous times and found that the plane does not turn very well due to design. The wind (however light) will carry the plane and you'll be spending a lot of time walking over to pick it up. Due to the lack of turning power my son lost this plane recently and despite knocking on doors in our street and posting notes through everyones doors it hasn't been returned (thanks for that all the residents of Philip Rudd Court in Pott Row. So we have a control with no plane.

I plan to buy another plane for him, however this time I would be extremely careful where I decide to fly it.

Cannibal Holocaust: Ruggero Deodato's New Edit [Blu-ray]
Cannibal Holocaust: Ruggero Deodato's New Edit [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Robert Kerman

5.0 out of 5 stars Deodato - genius or devil?, 7 May 2012
Firstly, hats off to Shameless for another great release. A lot of frustration has always surrounded distributors of this film - remember that ANY company would want to put this out in it's original UNCUT state, and whilst minor scene(s) have been tweaked this version is still cut. Why, in today's society do we have to have moral guardians at the BBFC who decide what we can and cannot watch is beyond me. Imagine the poor people who were prosecuted back in the 1980's for a version of this film that was cut by 6 minutes, only to find years later it's re-released with seconds cut!!! Quite amazing and ridiculous - probably that fact is more disturbing than the film itself. Absolute lunacy! Talk about nanny state!

Anyhow, enough of the moral highground. Cannibal Holocaust was and remains to this day one of the most distrubing films of all time. Period. It is a fascinating piece of cinema that touches emotions like no other film I've ever seen. From the haunting meoldies of Riz Ortalandi's musical score (which is fantastic throughout) to the final scenes of death, this film IS the mother of all movies. But what makes it so? Is it the violence? The animal creulty? The layered context of mixed messages about society? Well, maybe. The violence when it comes is pure exploitation on a upper class level. This is not glorified violence as in Umberto Lenzi's 'Cannibal Ferox', but more shocking, twisted and downright depraved.

There really is not much more to add, except watch it and prepare to be amazed. This is a film you will NOT forget.

Harry Potter Wizard's Collection Box Set (Blu-ray + DVD + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Daniel Radcliffe

2.0 out of 5 stars Warner Bros take note.., 25 April 2012
How strange that once again Warner have decided to release an incomplete boxset of the Harry Potter films. Whilst the inclsuion of the 3D versions is excellent (you gain another star for that) I can't give this review anymore than 2 stars as the set is incomplete. Only the first two films are included in their 'extended' versions. Anyone who is willing to consider paying £180 for this set has to be a real fan of the films. In which case they already will own these films. No-one in their right mind would pay £180 for this.

Warner Bros, release the full, extended versions, including 3D versions of the last two films, in a nice, limited edition blu ray only boxset and you can happily have my cash. It really is that simple.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2012 12:48 AM BST

Copper Blue
Copper Blue
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars You haven't heard of 'Copper Blue'?, 24 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Copper Blue (Audio CD)
OK, Short and sweet this one. If you've never herad 'Copper Blue' go out and buy it. It's that simple. You'll be kicking yourself for ages wondering how your life was incomplete without it.

Kill List (Blu-ray + DVD)
Kill List (Blu-ray + DVD)
Dvd ~ Neil Maskell

4.0 out of 5 stars A damn good british thriller, 17 Mar. 2012
To sum up 'Kill List' in one word; 'marmite'. You either love it or hate it. Some will love it, some will claim it's a stinking turd. The truth of it is that it's actually very different from anything you've ever seen. The first half an hour is so-so, with the introduction of the characters and the loose plot beginning to surface and be executed (no pun intended). The acting is good, with the script tight and punchy. The next half and hour is more swaying to the left and right. Elements creep in that don't make sense, some areas are not fully explained and my interest level rises. By now I'm hooked and clearly intrigued as to how this is going to pan out. Violence, that reminded me in a way of the brilliant 'Irreversible', sharp, brutal and no holds barred. Things were looking good and then.... the ending. It's such a twist and turnaround that at first you wonder what the hell is going on. Has all the credibility that's been built up suddenly lost in the last 15 minutes? Well, maybe. Is the last 15 minutes a unique spin to really fry your brain? Maybe? Is this montage of horror and thriller a mess or a work of art? An act of brilliance or a shovel of dung? For me, it swayed more on the good side than the bad. This is a damn good british thriller with a unique ending. I suggest that you watch this film and make up your own mind.

Sanyo VPC-S120 ( 12 MP,3 x Optical Zoom,2.7 -inch LCD )
Sanyo VPC-S120 ( 12 MP,3 x Optical Zoom,2.7 -inch LCD )

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst camera ever!, 17 Mar. 2012
I bought this recently for use when I go fishing abroad as I wanted a little, light camera that was no frills, but took quality photos. I've been using a Canon IXUS for over 5 years now and that is fine, until I dropped it in a lake in Bulgaria! I bought this on the Friday and my inital reports were good - I bought a Sandisk Extreme 8GB to go with it and I took 15 photos around the home which were fine. However, tonight, I took some more pictures and when I tried to download them, got a message saying the files were corrupted. One would assume it's the SD card, so I tried this same card in my Canon and it worked fine. I used another SD card in the Sanyo and had the same problem. The issue is with the playback feature - you get a big question mark on the screen where your photos should be. The camera appears to take the photos, but you can't view or transfer them to a PC. Having done a quick search on the net, others have had the same issue. You might think you can contact Sanyo's customer service - you'd be wrong - I had a problem with one of their camcorders once and they were so unhelpful and didn't resolve the issue at all. I never used that camcorder again, and this camera is going the same way. This is the last time I ever buy anything with the name Sanyo on it - completely useless. Avoid like the plague.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon [Blu-ray + DVD] [2011] [Region Free]
Transformers: Dark of the Moon [Blu-ray + DVD] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Shia LaBeouf
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the worst Blu Ray releases EVER, 28 Dec. 2011
**Please note this review, is for the Blu Ray release and NOT for the film itself**. So why the poor rating? Well let's consider the Blu ray. The film was promoted as a huge 3D summer blockbuster, and as Micheal Bay is famous for putting extras on Blu Ray this disc should be loaded right? Well, no. This disc has nothing on it at all. Zilch. Zip. Nowt. With all that Blu Ray space wasted then, it's filled up with both the 2D and 3D versions of the film, right? Nope. This disc does NOT have the 3D version on. So just to be clear, this disc contains the film and NOTHING else. This is pure greed by Paramount, who are trying to 'cash in' on punters who are unsuspecting enough to buy this release. Apaarently, an 'all-singing-all-dancing' 3D release is due February. Well, thanks for that Paramount. My kids loved not having their favourite film of the year to open on Christmas day. When will companies learn, to support the 3D format properly? Do they honestly think people will buy BOTH releases? Really? Thanks for this release Paramount, I hope you're red-faced. If not, you should be.

Still, nice to see a robot changing case-style-box being released with all three films for collectors...

Page: 1 | 2