Profile for Dr. K. Bain > Reviews

Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures
Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures
by Amber Dusick

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite blog in a book, 30 May 2013
I am a big fan of Amber Dusick's Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures blog and the book does not disappoint. First of all it contains 75% new content and a few favourites from the blog. As a mother of two I can relate to most of Amber's stories and I think her biggest achievement is that she helps parents feel normal. All those situations that you never anticipated before you had children, Amber has them covered - it is very reassuring to know that you are not only one experiencing them. Amber's story telling and pictures will make you laugh and I find that humour gets you through most parenting situations. I am really pleased by the print quality of the hardback book. It has a really nice format, quality and feel to it and will look good on any coffee table or shelf. Also having a book makes it easier to share the stories with the people around me. I would recommend this book to any parent with children under 5 and anyone without children so that you can understand what your friends with children are going through.

Where's Emma: Olivia Looks For Her Baby Sister: A Children's Book Ages 2-4 (Olivia and Emma 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a positive book for big sisters (and brothers) to be, 16 May 2013
When the time came to tell my 2 year old son that he would have a baby sister soon I looked for books that we could read together. To my surprise a lot of them dealt with potential negative feelings of soon to be older siblings. The main characters in the books would ask if the baby could be send back, or said they did not like the new baby. While I do understand that it can be hard for the older child to adapt to a new baby I did not want to read books to my son that implied the negative before he had experienced them.

The strength of "Where's Emma" is that Olivia, the older child, is nothing but excited about the prospect of having a baby sister. I wished that book was around when we needed it and would recommend it to all parents who want to prepare their first born for the birth of a younger sibling.

As for the Kindle Format: I am not a great fan of picture books on Kindle, so it would be nice to see it in print.

Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education at Home
Academic Homeschooling: How to Give Your Child an Amazing Education at Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Resource for secular home educating families, 21 Jan. 2013
This is a great book for anyone thinking about home education or those already homeeducating. The author is based in the US and uses a semi-structured approach. I still found it relevant for the UK for several reasons:
- it is realistic. There will be not only good days and there is no single solution for all families. Tracy Chatters understands that and offers alternatives for different set-ups.
- The resource section at the back includes a lot of websites and books that are available in the UK as well.
- This book introduced me to the concept of Charter Schools, something that I found very inspiring and it has given me new ideas on how to get together with other home educating families.
The book is to the point, full of information and I read it in one afternoon.
And finally it is properly edited and formatted for Kindle which makes reading it a pleasure.

How To Deliver A TED Talk: Secrets Of The World's Most Inspiring Presentations
How To Deliver A TED Talk: Secrets Of The World's Most Inspiring Presentations

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book for anyone wanting to give engaging talks., 20 Jan. 2013
This book is clearly structured. It uses the widely watched and very successful TED talks as an example to guide the reader from finding a topic to giving a speech. This book is to the point, without any bulking or talking about himself and offers great content. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking to give engaging speeches.

Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action
Start With Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone To Take Action
by Simon Sinek

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 15 Jan. 2013
I first saw the TED talk and was a bit worried that the book could not add anything more. I needen't have worried. Once started I did not want to put the book down. It came at the right time for me, when after 2 years in business i lost sight of my WHY and needed help in focussing again. This book is inspirational and I would recommend that every small business owner reads. Also if you feel uncomfotable with the widely used marketing strategies of incentives, special offers and fears read this book for an alternative.

Kidsleep Classic Blue Toddler Alarm Clock
Kidsleep Classic Blue Toddler Alarm Clock
Offered by BabySecurity

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpd us move the waking time from 5am to 6.30am, 4 Jan. 2013
This clock is great. It has a sleeping bunny to show its night and a waking bunny to show day. You can decide by setting the clock when its day and night. Its a visual cue for children from 3 years onwards (some say 2 but mine only got it after they turned 3) to see if its time to get up or not. Our son always woke a 5 am and we slowly moved the bunny waking time to 6.30am. At the beginning he woke before the bunny and he knew that he could get up and play until bunny woke and then wake us. It worked fine for him but I guess it depends on the personality of your child how happy they are to play alone. The clock also has an alarm clock that can be set. We have used ours for over 2 years now, travelled with it and its still working fine. Only downside is that it had no battery, so when you unplug it you have to re-set it.

Mixing Spot/Mixing Tray. (made in the uk)
Mixing Spot/Mixing Tray. (made in the uk)
Offered by Image Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product!, 4 Jan. 2013
Builder's trays are a must for parents of small chidlren as they contain messy play. They offer so many options of what to do with them from play dough and painting to sensory gardens or water play (outside). This one is very sturdy and level. I bought some at B&Q that were slightly cheaper but made of much thinner plastic and had an uneven surface. I would recommend this tray. You will get good value for your money. I bought mine over a year ago and it is still like new.

Your Inner Awakening: The Work of Byron Katie: Four Questions That Will Transform Your Life
by Byron Katie
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Byron Katie product, 4 Jan. 2013
I have seen Katie live for the last 10 years and have a lot of her products. In my view this one is the best. Rather than just doing the work she explains a lot which I think is very helpful especially for those who are just starting out with The Work. If you are only going for one product I would say take this one rather than one of her books.

Choose to Live!
Choose to Live!
by Joyce O'Brien

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Story, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Choose to Live! (Paperback)
I became aware about this book when I heard Joyce speak. Her and her husband's story is inspiring. The strength they had to go through cancer diagnosis and treatment and to not only survive it but also turn it into something so positive. Joyce used a combination of medical and alternative interventions which gave me lots to think about.

How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months!
How I Sold 1 Million eBooks in 5 Months!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starting point, 4 Jan. 2013
This was the first of the "Make money on Kindle" books I have read and it was an interesting read. John Locke relied heavily on Twitter to promote his book and did so very successfully. The social media strategy he describes takes a lot of time and follow up to build the relationships with potential promoters. I do think it is sound and if Twitter is not your platform of choice it can be adapted to other platforms. If you are looking to sell successfully on Kindle I would recommend that you also read some of the books that offer strategies to promote within Kindle as you probably want to combine the two.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4