Profile for JazzFan > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
King Of The New Orleans Keyboard
King Of The New Orleans Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piano player!, 8 Feb 2014
I had never heard of this musician until I heard a programme about him on Radio 4 recently. This is an excellent album with 19 very varied tracks, recorded live (good sound quality, no annoying audience noise but lots of atmosphere). Sadly, James was a typical eccentric musical genius who died very young, a great loss but he did leave a reasonable amount of recorded music which deserves to be much better known.

Anker® 2 x 1900mAh Li-ion Batteries for Samsung Galaxy S2 II, 9100, 9100G, with Anker® Travel Charger [18-Month Warranty]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Package, 30 Sep 2013
The Samsung Galaxy S II is power hungry and I was unhappy with having just the one battery as supplied with the phone. I looked on Amazon for suitable batteries to augment my existing set up and found a real value for money package from Anker - 2 batteries (more powerful than the standard Samsung version) plus a charger, all for not much more than some people were charging for a single compatible battery. The item came promptly, beautifully packaged and complete with excellent clearly written instructions in good English. Excellent value for money, performs well, highly recommended.

SainStyle Adjustable LED Eye-Protection Energy Saving Desk Lamp with Touch Panel 10W, 100-240V

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lamp, 13 Aug 2013
Stylish lamp that works well and has a useful date, time, temperature display. Only one real problem - the instruction leaflet looks great but, unfortunately, my Chinese wasn't up to it, an English version would be very welcome.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2013 1:46 PM GMT

Amandla
Amandla

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than "Kind of Blue"?, 30 July 2013
This review is from: Amandla (MP3 Download)
Recorded very late in his life this album shows once again how Miles never stopped moving forward. I still have many of Miles' albums on vinyl and they do sound better than MP3 or CD but iTunes is so convenient.

Frank Meadow Sutcliffe: A Second Selection
Frank Meadow Sutcliffe: A Second Selection
by Bill Eglon Shaw

5.0 out of 5 stars WONDERFULL PICTURES!, 27 July 2013
Excellent, modestly priced collection of superb photographs from a bygone era. I saw a programme about Sutcliffe on TV (actually an item on "Flog It", I think) and was intrigued. Delighted to find this book on Amazon.

Ashton MS3127 Music Stand with Bag - Black
Ashton MS3127 Music Stand with Bag - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the old finger trapper I used to use!, 30 Jun 2013
Not perfect, it's a modern version of the traditional music stand but works better. It takes about a minute to set up or put away as opposed to 5 minutes with traditional stands. There must be an even better design somewhere. It's well made but not too heavy. The bag is useful and makes the stand easy to carry when you have other kit to carry.

Grinnin' In Your Face
Grinnin' In Your Face

5.0 out of 5 stars A capella delta blues from a master, 30 Jun 2013
I heard this song on Desert Island Discs (Radio 4), selected by Hugh Laurey and loved it. I have a number of Son House CDs but none included this track so I was very pleased to find it on Amazon. I have subsequently found the complete lyrics and a suitable chord accompaniment as I want to add this song to my repertoire. Brilliant philosophical gem!

Exposure
Exposure

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: Exposure (Kindle Edition)
Having read Jane Harvey-Berrick's "The New Samurai" and expecting a similar light romcom I went for "Exposure". I couldn't have been more wrong - but in a good way! This is a really tight, pacey and disturbing thriller. It's true that one has to willingly suspend disbelief to read this book but it is certainly worth doing so, some of the questions raised are thought provoking and quite worrying. The plot is ingenious and involved with many "and with one bound she was free" twists and turns but absolutely gripping. Loved it!

The New Samurai
The New Samurai

5.0 out of 5 stars Japan to a T, 15 Jan 2013
This review is from: The New Samurai (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book (Kindle version) because one of my daughters went to Japan as a TEFL teacher, married a Japanese man and still lives there with her family. My wife and I are regular visitors and are very familiar with Japan, gaijin residents and the TEFL milieu and I can absolutely vouch for the accuracy the book. That sounds a bit boring I know but the book certainly isn't! Having satisfied myself about the book's cultural credentials I really enjoyed it as a light, diverting and well written romance. Highly recommended.

Live in Paris (feat. Sonny Stitt)
Live in Paris (feat. Sonny Stitt)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Album, 18 Nov 2012
A terrific live album that shows Miles's trumpet playing at its technically most proficient. I believe that the recording has only recently become available, thank goodness it did! The track called "Four" is spectacular.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2013 8:29 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2