Profile for Mr. Mj Bickle > Reviews

Content by Mr. Mj Bickle

Mr. Mj Bickle "I survived the lake bodom"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Pioneer Plus Leather PU Reclining & Massage Executive Office Chair Black CH08901M-D01

2.0 out of 5 stars Was this chair designed by chimps?!, 10 Aug. 2014
Please don't listen to the other reviews, I did and ended up very disappointed! I wanted an office chair to do work at my desk with and the massage feature was just a bonus quirk for me. Well the chair arrived with a rip in which is obviously a fault but even without that I feel the material wasn't good quality and would have split over time. I have no idea why it is sold as an office chair either as it tilts back far too much, unless your work is sleeping you would achieve nothing in it! Also I didn't feel safe leaning back as a normal sized guy so it would be suicide for a bigger person! Basically if you want a decent office chair forget this lump of crap, however if you want an amazing massage check it out...I’d recommend wearing a helmet though!

Wovenwar
Wovenwar

2.0 out of 5 stars Timmy would be disappointed..., 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Wovenwar (Audio CD)
Being a big As I Lay Dying fan, I was looking forward to seeing what the guys would do without Tim Lambesis. Go radio friendly and rather bland is the short answer! As I Lay Dying songs are predominantly filled with harsh vocals and the few clean vocals included tend to compliment the overall sound. Wovenwar is the complete opposite with pretty much all vocals being clean. I'm maybe being a little bias as I prefer Lambesis style growls but even the melodies are average so it doesn't make up for it in that way either. People criticise bands like Bring Me the Horizon for selling out but their last 2 albums are far more metal than this! I still respect them as musicians, for trying a new project and overcoming the dodgy events involving Tim going to jail etc but they could have done much better than this unfulfilling record.

Four Novellas of Fear: Eyes That Watch You, the Night I Died, You'll Never See Me Again, Murder Always Gathers Momentum
by Cornell Woolrich

5.0 out of 5 stars With a character named Dick Paine you know this is going to be bleak..., 25 Jun. 2014
I really enjoyed Fright by Cornell Woolrich so decided to try a collection of his short stories. All 4 of them are tense page turners and have made me want to devour a lot more of his output. People go on about how bleak and tragic this author is (dedicating books to his typewriter rather than a person, dying a lonely alcoholic etc) but that's part of his charm in my opinion. The world can be a depressing place and this guy has managed to get inside the mind of average Joe/loose cannon type characters enabling him to create dark gripping stories about their lives. Woolrich's style of writing is quite basic and possibly even naïve in places but in some ways I find it refreshing the way he concentrates on a great plot rather than faff around with every little factual detail. It tends to be man versus world with most of his characters, descriptions centring on what the average Joe is thinking (often becoming more paranoid and self destructing with each step) and how he is attempting to escape his possible grim fate. A lot of crime noir writers spend too much time focusing on what a detective is doing to solve a murder case but I find it far more exciting sticking with the loose cannon in dire straits the way Cornell Woolrich does. Four Novellas of Fear is an awesome read only let down by it being such a small collection (just under 200 pages). If you like this sort of thing, check out Gil Brewer and David Goodis too.

Rise Of The Lion
Rise Of The Lion

2.0 out of 5 stars Similar to a naff back tattoo, could definitely have lived without it!, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Rise Of The Lion (Audio CD)
I've always found Miss May I a potentially great band who have never quite hit their stride. Rise Of The Lion continues the trend and is a very average record. I'm a massive metalcore fan but found this predictable and bland. They are certainly good musicians but the tracks lack a certain mojo, even the album cover is pretty crap! I still feel Miss May I could be an awesome act in the future but am sadly beginning to lose hope! Check out recent albums by August Burns Red, Comeback Kid, Asking Alexandria, Ghost Inside, Misery Signals and Killswitch Engage (Jesse Leach back at last!) for some metalcore bands who are currently top of their game.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 31, 2014 3:11 PM BST

Lily Flame Snowfall Scented Candle
Lily Flame Snowfall Scented Candle
Offered by ksgoods ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best candle ever!, 14 Feb. 2014
After trying several Lily Flame scents I have decided Snowfall is by far my favourite. The smell is lovely (amongst other things I smelt hints of washing powder and baby powder!) and somehow has a cosy Christmas feel to it. Some candles can smell too overwhelming but this one gets it just right and is very calming after a crap day at work etc. It comes in a plush tin and even the wax looks classy! I think the presentation has a real vintage look to it which definitely adds to the "homemade in Somerset" charm. On top of that it burns for 30-35 hours, what more could you ask for in a candle!

The Marshall Mathers LP 2
The Marshall Mathers LP 2
Offered by iAlpha Technologies

4.0 out of 5 stars Slim Shady attempts Yoda impression haha!, 5 Nov. 2013
The Marshall Mathers LP 2 is quality and certainly equal or even slightly better than Recovery. After the disappointing Relapse album a few years ago it's great to see Eminem back on form. So Far is an awesome track and so different to anything else, the random samples used in this shouldn't work but they really do! The Monster featuring Rihanna is better than their last single together in my opinion. Bad Guy, Rap God and Stronger Than I Was are all brilliant songs too. I also enjoyed Headlights which is a dedication to his Mum and contains some real well written heartfelt lyrics. There are a few fillers which I won't dwell on too much as the record is 78 minutes long so can be forgiven for that. Aside from 2Pac I think Eminem is the best rapper ever and it's no wonder he still dominates the hip hop scene. He manages to pull off mainstream without losing his raw side which many have tried and failed at; Jay-Z being a prime example! Defo one for your Christmas list...

Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal
Louder Than Hell: The Definitive Oral History of Metal
by Jon Wiederhorn

4.0 out of 5 stars A good effort but no Children of Bodom? Booooo!, 28 Sept. 2013
Being a massive heavy metal fan I was excited to see a 700+ paged book of its history come out. The story is told by the musicians themselves which makes it a lot more insightful than a general biography. Most of the major players such as Tony Iommi, Rob Halford, Kerry King, Phil Anselmo, Robb Flynn, Adam Dutkiewicz and Jamey Jasta talk at length about their experiences so it's not just a mediocre cobbled together effort. I learnt a lot about some of the bands and the development of metal music over the years. It's also full of drug and sex stories which are an eye opener, in fact they are the most explicit I've read since Motley Crue-The Dirt! A few things annoyed me though...there was absolutely no mention of the whole neoclassical and folk metal genres (bands like Children of Bodom, Kalmah and Ensiferum are in a different league to some of the tosh in here!) and considering this is a 2013 release it was very vast on up and coming bands such as Bring Me The Horizon, August Burns Red and Asking Alexandria. But to be fair a proper history on this subject would take thousands of pages to write so there are bound to be bits missing. What Louder Than Hell does include is really interesting but Wiederhorn and Turman definitely played it safe in my opinion, information on a few more obscurer acts would certainly have benefited and complimented this book.

Winter Kills
Winter Kills
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Capable of more..., 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (Audio CD)
I used to be a huge DevilDriver fan and especially love their self-titled debut album and The Last Kind Words. I still think they are great but their recent material has been slightly patchy in my opinion and sadly Winter Kills continues the trend. "Desperate Times" and bonus track "Back Down To The Grave" are pretty cool songs but the rest are simply average. I don't want to criticize them too much though as Dez Fafara is actually a real idol of mine, people like him and Robb Flynn from Machine Head are what heavy metal vocalists should be all about. But basically don't expect anything special, this album isn't terrible but it is definitely missing something which the early albums had in spades.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2014 6:01 PM GMT

I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013]
I Give It a Year [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Rose Byrne

4.0 out of 5 stars In the same league as Bridesmaids..., 31 July 2013
Stephen Merchant is hilarious in I Give It A Year and makes this already above average rom-com top notch. If you liked his character in Extras this will be right up your street. Rafe Spall is very strong too and is a real natural comedy actor who I think we will see a lot more of in the future (check him out in the sitcom Pete Versus Life, he is amusing in that as well). The rest of the cast is pretty solid apart from Anna Faris who was a bit poor in my opinion. The unhappy relationship between Minnie Driver and Jason Flemyng is really funny; some of Minnie Driver's disgusted expressions are priceless! This is a reasonably predictable story done well but it's the quirky dialogue and characters which make it something special. Also the out-takes of Rose Byrne literally petrified of the doves are brilliant!

How I Met Your Mother - Season 8 [DVD]
How I Met Your Mother - Season 8 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Josh Radnor

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so "legendary" now..., 13 July 2013
I thought How I Met Your Mother was the strongest American sitcom since Friends when it first came out but surprise surprise it has been overdone like most popular things! Season 8 is full of bizarre and unrealistic storylines plus towards the end it completely copies Friends with the characters making huge life changing decisions all at once! Although far fetched it's still funny in places and Barney remains a hilarious character, in fact without him I don't think the show would have been half as successful. The girl with a "ridonkulous" body underneath her massive coat episode is very amusing but overall it's quite average. Such a shame, if they had wrapped it up in 5 seasons I feel this could have been one of the best sitcoms ever! By the end of Season 6 I had lost interest in Ted and just found him annoying but obviously after getting this far I do still want to see the overdue conclusion, thank god Season 9 is going to be the last!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2013 8:33 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3