ARRAY(0x99c24f3c)

The Year of the Rat
by Clare Furniss
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I expected!, 9 April 2014
This review is from: The Year of the Rat (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am pleased to say that this book is not chick lit for teens, which I was dreading. As soon as Finn arrived on the scene I groaned and assumed the "handsome boy" was going to make it all better for her, but this is so not the case.

We experience a year in Pearl's life after the death of her mother in childbirth. Pearl is obviously devastated and blames her younger sister. This book is beautifully written in some places, even I nearly shed a tear, which says a lot for the emotive writing by the author.

This book, as a whole, is well rounded, addressing issues that other authors would have glossed over. Pearl has lost her mother and occasionally is a dislikable brat, even if it is for good reason. She does have many redeeming qualities as well as some hard challenges to face.

This is a very engaging read, with a tough subject matter that is handled well. This book makes a welcome change to the dystopian YA novels that are saturating the market at the moment.

The Bees
The Bees
by Laline Paull
Price: 11.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like The Handmaid's Tale or The Hunger Games!, 9 April 2014
This review is from: The Bees (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was tricked into reading this book with the comparisons to The Handmaid's Tale and the Hunger Games, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I didn't find the Bees remotely enjoyable. At the end of the day the main character is a bee in a colony of bees and I just couldn't bring myself to care.

Flora 717, the bee the story focuses on, is an anomalous protagonist that appears to be great at all the tasks in the hive that she tries, even though she should only be destined for one role (in this case a sanitation worker bee). She's that good at all the duties that she tried that she seems a bit of a know it all and made me care about her less and less.

The story itself seemed to get caught up in the hive protocol and got bogged down in it's own originality and cleverness. Yes, it was interesting looking at the hive from the bees point of view at first, but then every aspect seems to be detailed.
I didn't agree with giving the bees human emotions as this is not how a colony works.

This book didn't work for me, I didn't feel immersed in the story and I couldn't connect to any of the characters.

The Wanderer
The Wanderer
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I love apocalypse novels!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Wanderer (Kindle Edition)
It's not a new subject, but I still thoroughly enjoy other people's interpretation on this theme.

The novel moves along really well. I enjoyed seeing how the main character survived the day to day drudgery of being all alone and how he coped with issues that arose. I also appreciated the descriptions of the places he passed through, it was inventive and mesmerising.

I will definitely be looking out for more books by this author.

Finger Plate Cover For Behind Switches and Faceplates White Pack Of 2
Finger Plate Cover For Behind Switches and Faceplates White Pack Of 2
Offered by kenable_ltd
Price: 1.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted!, 27 Mar 2014
They look fresh and clean and cover the gaps around my light switch perfectly!

The plaster around my light switch appears to have been gouged out and only having the whole wall replastered would sort this as I would probably need tubs of filler. These covers have hid the problem until money is less of an issue.

The Three
The Three
by Sarah Lotz
Price: 11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars ***Spoiler alert***, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Three (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book started off completely brilliant. I read the first 60 pages and was devastated I had to go to sleep because of work the next day!

The teaser with Pamela May Donald's voicemail message had me totally hooked. On my copy the tag line is "The message is a warning" After this I didn't know what to expect from the children or what they would do. But it turns out not a lot. The book focuses on society's reaction to children surviving the plane crashes, which was interesting, but not what I expected the novel to be about.

Amazon compared this book to The Passage, which I am a huge fan of. The comparison is not justified. Did this cloud my opinion of The Three? Quite possibly. I was left expected so much more.

The Three is an example of exceptional writing. Lotz's writing skills can not be criticised in the slightest. The book is written beautifully; at no point was I confused or uninterested with what was going on. It was the story itself that I felt let down with.

Thirteen
Thirteen
by Tom Hoyle
Price: 3.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, well written!, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Thirteen (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The idea behind this book is excellent! I couldn't wait to read more about the psychotic cult and to see if they succeeded.

Overall, I thought the book was brilliant; the characters were well thought out and believable (apart from Meg's annoying parents) and I actually cared what happened to them.

The book was full of twists and turns and was an exciting read.

The only reason the book didn't get full marks was because I felt the end was very rushed. There were 200 plus pages leading to the finale and it was over in less than ten. (Viper is a trained fighter, but lets a 13 year old girl punch her in the face?) Also, the lead up to the next book was just casually mentioned at the end, with no lead up to it or mention of it anyway earlier on in the book. Though this will in no way stop me looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Red
Red
by Libby Gleeson
Price: 5.03

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable book for pre teens!, 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Red (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I like my books with a bit more depth; saying that though I do think this a great introduction to get children reading. It is nice and easy to read, with a fast paced and intricate plot, which should keep kids turning the page to discover what "Red" has forgotten and join in on her thrill ride of an adventure.

I do enjoy the YA book selection that has since emerged. I chose this because the blurb sounded interested and it in no way sounded like a younger children's book (not YA). However, it is just under 200 pages long and I read it within a couple of hours. I was disappointed that the story was quite basic and not very long.

I would be wary of reading another by this author only because I now know I am not her target audience.

Game (The Game Trilogy, Book 1)
Game (The Game Trilogy, Book 1)
by Anders de la Motte
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing all 3 books in one!, 13 Mar 2014
***Spoiler alert***

The Game: The first installment started off quite well. I wasn't overly keen of the character of Henrik, but I was intrigued by the escalation of the "game" he became involved in. I liked how the story moved along and how he got dragged in further and further. However, not even half way through the book he is out the game and trying to figure out how to get back in. At this point, I couldn't work out why Becca (Henrik's sister) had so many paragraphs dedicated to her. At this point I was still looking forward to reading the other two books in the trilogy.

Buzz: Hmmm, I did manage to get to the end, but the the big revelation of who was setting Becca up was lost on me as I have no idea who the characters were supposed to be and how they played a part in the story as a whole. There was way too much going on that didn't need to be included.

Bubble: I have no idea how the trilogy ends; I am way beyond caring. Both Henrik and Becca are awful main characters, for different readers. The book failed to keep my attention; I no longer care about the origin of the game. The original, fantastic, idea was lost in a lot of unnecessary description (Becca goes for a sip of water, Henrik lights yet another cigarette, Henrik has to go to the shop to buy yet more cigarettes.)

Overall, the trilogy was a great idea, but it just fails to deliver. As Larsson was mentioned in reference to the Game I expected a tense, exciting and intriguing read, which I didn't get.

Sony PlayStation 3 500GB Super Slim Console with Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Sony PlayStation 3 500GB Super Slim Console with Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
Offered by Staraxe Ltd
Price: 240.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Kept my boyfriend quiet for hours!, 3 Mar 2014
That alone has been worth the price.

Also, I can't get over the level of detail in the graphics. The sky lines in the actual game play are just amazing and quite a few times I have found myself watching the game instead of reading my book.

It was all very easy to set up, and he loves the game.

Bubbles Touch
Bubbles Touch
Price: 0.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive!!, 3 Mar 2014
This review is from: Bubbles Touch (App)
I have lost hours of my life!

The only problem: a few times I got very far in the game and all of a sudden all of my balls disappeared and it would be game over. This happened a few times when I had over 700 left!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20