Profile for Alix > Reviews

For the Love of Norton: The Cat who Taught his Human How to Live
by Peter Gethers
Price: 7.19

3.0 out of 5 stars For Cat Lovers Everywhere, 21 July 2011
I love this series of books by Peter Gethers. This is the first one I have read so far, (I am not reading them in sequence). It's just a pity the hospitality industry isn't so accommodating in this country as America and Europe seem to be. Having two Persian cats (did have three, recently lost one), I can really relate to how the author feels about this furry friend. They all have their own personality. Nice, easy read.

Lotta Jansdotter's Handmade Living: A Fresh Take on Scandinavian Style
Lotta Jansdotter's Handmade Living: A Fresh Take on Scandinavian Style
by Lotta Jansdotter
Price: 19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple Scandivavian Style, 21 July 2011
This is a lovely book. I really like "owning" it. I dip in and out of it and it always makes me feel good. The retro designs fit nicely into minimalistic contemporary living spaces and it has Scandinavian practicality stamped all over it. Complete with simple stencils and recipe cards at the back. Although it would be a shame to cut them up. Not actually followed up on any of the ideas. In an ideal world..... I imagine it would cost you a fortune to build up a supply of materials mentioned in the Resources section. But some rainy day who knows, although I didn't buy it to actually use as more of a reference/bookshelf book.

My First Bedtime Stories
My First Bedtime Stories
by Nicola Baxter
Edition: Board book
Price: 9.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Good All-rounder, 21 July 2011
I love this book. My daughter is only 4 months old but I wanted be form goods habits at an early stage. This series of 8 stories are upto date and nicely illustrated. The cardboard format is also good for parents and babies to hold together. The stories are a nice length (not too short, not too long) and are about everyday events that children can relate to. This is not a "Once upon a time" kind of book but modern with a touch of sparkle(the illustrations are highlighted in silver) which my daughter loves.

Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series with Kino MacGregor
Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series with Kino MacGregor
Offered by Yogamatters Ltd.
Price: 11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint-hearted, 21 July 2011
Wow. Oh to be that flexible! I have invested (wasted money) on several yoga DVD's in the past and this is by far my favourite. Whether you just have a cursory interest in Astanga Yoga or are a pratitioner this is a well-presented reference. I would not recommend buying this if you are not currently practising with a qualified teacher. It's quite intense! Kino has obviously been practising for a long time. But inspiring and contemporary and not full of puritanical preaching. Although if you really want to know the ins and outs of the practice, an informative book would be a good companion to this DVD.

Open Studios with Lotta Jansdotter: Twenty-Four Artists' Spaces
Open Studios with Lotta Jansdotter: Twenty-Four Artists' Spaces
by Lotta Jansdotter
Price: 13.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative Insight, 21 July 2011
Lovely, well designed and presented look at various artisans studios in New York, Stockholm and Tokyo. Contrasts artists different ways of working day-to-day and proves that there is no right or wrong! It's written as if the author has just "popped round for coffee" in a relaxed conversational question and answer format. Reminds you that there is life beyond the High Street. It gives you enough of an insight to want to find out more about the featured artists and to want to set up a studio yourself. Book is nice and tactile and the photography is in keeping with the overall style. More of an intriguing glimpse than a "how to" but certainly gives you inspiration (not everyone spent years at the Royal Academy!). A great present for aspiring artists or just to dream of what life could be like.