Profile for Oliver! > Reviews

Content by Oliver!

Oliver! "Tea house warrior" (Saltaire, West Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12
Nokia E7 Silver & White
Nokia E7 Silver & White

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Nokia phone up to date - still not perfect?, 15 April 2011
I wanted this phone ever since it was announced. It was a new Psion for me, something I hoped to carry around and use to view/edit files and make notes (as well as making a few calls, checking emails and some Web browsing). I could have written this review on it, if I wanted. That was the dream. A Psion with colour touch screen, GPS and a phone - what else one can want?

Well I am afraid I'll have to keep dreaming!

This phone is certainly beautiful. Metal body, solid build, brilliant AMOLED display, sliding QWERTY keaboard... The touch and feel are exceptional. I know of no other phone on the market with similar quality (may iPhone fans forgive me). This is the phone to look at and admire.

But I wanted a phone to, actually, use it.

Here comes the dark side on Nokia.

Having decided to ditch Symbian OS in favour of Microsoft, it looks like they just did not dedicate enough resources to improve the user experience on this phone. I think even die-hard Symbian fans will agree that this OS in it's current state is dead. And as they are busy building MS phones I doubt that the software will be significantly improved - but this only time will tell.

User interface is quite obscure and hard to find yourself around. Many simple actions require 2-3 or more steps to complete. Many actions are slow to perform, like opening a file or application, probably in part due to a very slow by today's standards processor (680MHz). Interface is not very intuitive, and unless you upgrade from an older Nokia you will find it very complex. I used e72 for 2 years but it still was not straightforward. And no significant improvements that I expected from a more modern phone. That's Nokia user saying, I hate to think what Apple or Android user would think. They'd probably drop dead.

Web browser is very disappointing, slow and crashing way too often. Yet due to a bigger touchscreen it is still an improvement over older models.

I do not comment on camera as I am yet to use it, ever. There are "proper" cameras for that, why try to fit everything into a phone, making it heavier and more expensive? Same goes about MP3 player, none of the phones that I know can play music with a decent quality - but that's purely my opinion as Cowon and Sony user.

GPS is probably one of Nokia strongest points. It's Maps software is excellent, on par with my dedicated car GPS system, and does not require internet connection like Google maps. This is something any phone must have, and it's probably most used application for me (I travel a lot).

File vewing/editing is possible, but slow and not really convenient - keyboard is great for short messages and emails, but it's still too small to be totally comfortable. You can type with 4 fingers though which is still better than thumbs.

Conlcusion

This phone looked so promising but failed to deliver. Excellent design is let down by OS and interface. Hopefully 2 more years and my perfect phone will be built. But not this one.

GOOD

- Design and build quality
- AMOLED display
- Full QWERTY keaboard
- GPS with maps which does not require internet connection

BAD

- OS and User Interface
- Web browser
- Slow processor
- Very few useful applications on the market

Uni-ball Eye UB157 Rollerball Pen Fine 0.7mm Tip 0.5mm Line Red Ref 9000702 [Pack of 12]

5.0 out of 5 stars A pack of 12 brilliant pens, 9 April 2011
A previous review must be a mistake, or there was a packing error which should be addressed to Amazon rather than posting a 1* review for a great product.

I have had similar packs for different colours and every time there were 12 pens as stated and all of them were brilliant!

Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs
by Neal D Barnard

5.0 out of 5 stars All information you need to reverse or even completely heal diabetes, 9 April 2011
My best friend was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two months ago and I've researched tons of books, web sites and other information about this condition in order to help him.

Unfortunately, official medicine seem uninterested in healing people with diabetes (both types), other than keeping their sugar levels low with medications in attempt to prolong their life. It seems that nothing has changed in treating this condition since the times when my grandfather had it. As a result of such "treatment" patients only further develop their insulin resistance (with type 2) and require more and more different medicines over time. I have not heard stories of people being completely healed by such drugs, quite on contrary, there are plenty of unfortunate stories of people losing sight, kidneys, limbs and even dying.

At the same time there is a simple way to improve your condition by simply eliminating products that caused diabetes in the first place - all animal products including fish and dairy, refined oils, sugars, alcohol and junk food. Replace it with vegetables, quality whole carbohydrates (yes) - like brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat; exercise daily, use natural and inexpensive supplements; fast, if you can; and you will start feeling better day by day.

There is no-one out there who can heal you, but yourself. And you have everything to be healthy. All you need is the right direction, and this book gives you enough information to find it. It is written by a doctor who dared to experiment and he discovered a very simple way to cure diabetes with incredibly high success level.

While I would urge you not to stop there and continue your research, this book is a very good start, in fact in has everything to change your life and get you on the road to recovery.

Coming back to my friend, he followed a program we developed for him, which is very similar to the one described in this book, for two months and last week his analysis came completely clean - Hemoglobin A1c 5.8, glucose 5.5. Of course it is not the reason to revert back to a previous diet, rather a motivation to go even further.

If you or your friend/relative have diabetes, especially type 2, you need to buy this book and give it a try. I do hope it will work for you same way it did for my friend. It's all in your hands.

UPDATE: It's been 6 months since my friend was diagnosed with diabetes and about 5 months since he adopted a diet similar to the one described in this book (I think a bit more advanced) and he is now virtually free of any symptoms - his blood sugar is always normal, and he feels less tired and in general much better than before. He only lost about 1 1/2 stone (9 kg) but considering it was done without any restrictions on food intake (he's a bit of an eater so it's hard to change) it's a good result.

If you or your relatives or friends have diabetes, please buy this book and research further but most important, stop eating foods that made you ill, and you too can become diabetes-free. It's not a miracle, it's only natural to live a healthy and happy life. Good luck.

Coconut Cures: Preventing and Treating Common Health Problems with Coconut
Coconut Cures: Preventing and Treating Common Health Problems with Coconut
by Bruce Fife

5.0 out of 5 stars The healthiest of all oils?, 9 April 2011
I've heard before that coconut oil is good for you, but could not say why exactly.

This book provides all the answers, and even more. It looks into the use of coconut oil from both scientific and practical point of views. Detailed explanations why you should use this oil and not the refined commercial oils are mixed with real-life testimonials when people with different ailments healed themselves with coconut oil.

Since reading this book I ordered 6 jars of virgin coconut oil and use it for cooking or as a cream (good for sunburns or as an after-shave) and can confirm that it is so much better even if compared to quality olive oil (I was not using refined vegetable oil like sunflower etc for a while). Most notable effect was that kids have a much better appetite and seem to enjoy rice with vegetables much more if it has coconut oil added.

I would recommend everyone to read this book and start using coconut oil (and bin all refined oils) - you will feel a difference!

Olympus XZ-1 Digital Camera - Black (10MP, 4x i.Zuiko Wide Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Offered by Picsio

5.0 out of 5 stars Great high-end compact camera, easy to use with high image quality, 31 Mar. 2011
If you are on the market, like me, for a small camera that you can carry around with you all the time, that would also produce high quality images if not all than most of the time, and unwilling to spend £1500 on Leica X1 you know your choices are very limited.

So far there were only tree cameras that I narrowed down - Canon PowerShot G12, Panasonic Lumix LX5, and Nikon Coolpix P7000 but none of them appealed to me, for different reason.

Canon and Nikon are too large and look errr, odd and bulky, and Panasonic produces strange, sometimes unnatural colours.

I was awaiting for the forthcoming Fujifilm FinePix X100 Digital Camera, but it looks like it will be difficult to get for a while due to low production after the quake and very high demand, so no price reductions quite for some time, and £900 is still a lot for a regular person who just wants to make good pictures of his kids and some views from the trips.

Olympus XZ-1 comes as a very good and reasonable choice. It has larger image sensor and very wide and bright lens that lets lots of light through. As a result all images are of a very high quality, both on screen and in print. It is easy to operate, especially if you shoot in automatic settings like me. Good speed and decent battery life. Very light to carry around. Have only been using it for a few days but very positive results so far. Will update this review once (if) I hit some major drawback.

Some people note that it has not-so-good video recording, but I am not using as as I have a dedicated, and very good Sanyo camera for that (which does poor still images, which only proves the point that every product can only excel at one thing).

PS. I've updated the firmware straight away as it seems there were some focus problems with earlier models.
PPS. There is a new contender for this camera coming - Fujifilm X10, but at £500 it will be quite a bit more expensive.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2011 11:46 AM BST

Moleskine Squared Notebook
Moleskine Squared Notebook

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect notebook, with great history behind it as well!, 30 Mar. 2011
While still waiting for a perfect pc notebook to arrive (it should be light like netbooks, even lighter, yet be fast and fully functional, at least for basic office-on-the-go tasks and video - hope that my wait will be over soon) I still prefer to use an old-fashioned way to make notes, i.e. with pen and paper.

I have found my perfect pen long ago (Uni-Ball Micro Deluxe UB155 Rollerball (Blue, Pack of 5 Pens)) but notbooks I used before ( Pukka A4 Jotta Metallic Squared ) were OK, but nothing more.

When I needed a new one, I decided to make some research, so I found Molskine.

WOW.

No, seriously.

If you appreciate the joy of hand-writing you'll immediately understand what I mean. The quality of the paper, cover, bondings, everything, is impeccable. There is a nice bit of history attached to it as well, although it is not the same company that made the original Moleskines used by Hemingway and others, I am happy that someone did a great job is recreating such beautiful products.

I have bought 2, A5 and pocket size variants, both are perfect, each for it's own purpose.

You will not be disappointed to get one.

Moleskine Pocket Squared Notebook
Moleskine Pocket Squared Notebook

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pocket Notebook, 30 Mar. 2011

When I needed a new one, I decided to make some research, so I found Molskine.

WOW.

No, seriously.

I have bought 2, A4 and pocket size variants, both a perfect, each for it's own purpose.

You will not be disappointed to get one.

The Clay Machine-Gun
The Clay Machine-Gun
by Victor Pelevin

5.0 out of 5 stars The most unexpected guide to Buddhism, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Clay Machine-Gun (Paperback)
This is an amazing book.

Set out in two different Worlds and times, both happening inside one man's mind (Peter Void). In one part he is a patient in a psychiatric clinic, in another a warrior and a poet. One World's dream is reality in another, so when he falls asleep in one he simply awakes in another.

His task is to awaken (as for the rest of us) from both dreams into a true reality, but for him it is twice as hard as he must do it in both parts of his dream.

Book is beautifully written and easy to read yet it touches (and explains) most deep Buddhist topics. Sometimes they are explained by very unexpected personages, like a member of a mafia gang, which makes them shine from completely different angle.

I am not sure if this book would appeal to those with no interest in Buddhism or mysticism, unless it's a fan of some really weird "out of this world" books. Fans of Russian literature will also enjoy it as it can be put in one row with some of the best examples of Russian prose, i.e. Bulgakov.

Read it, and who know, maybe it will help you to find what you were looking for (even if you do not know what it is).

uni-ball Micro Deluxe UB-155 Rollerball Pens - Blue, Pack of 5
uni-ball Micro Deluxe UB-155 Rollerball Pens - Blue, Pack of 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ball Pen - Stylish and Perfect Writing, 30 Mar. 2011
I've been a fan of Uni-Ball pens for some 10 years, and I must say they only get better with every new model. Inexpensive, yet absolutely top quality writing instruments, beat Parker every day. I carry one with me every time, along with Moleskine Pocket Squared Notebook as they make a perfect match.

This is even newer version with brushed metal look and thinner line (0.2), I think it will be my favourite now.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2012 8:10 PM GMT

Uni-ball Eye UB157 Rollerball Pen Fine 0.7mm Tip 0.5mm Line Blue Ref UB157BLUE [Pack of 12]

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Day-to-Day Ball Pen, 30 Mar. 2011
I've been a fan of Uni-Ball pens for some 10 years, and this one has been my favourite for the past 2 years. I like to take notes on paper, and a good pen is absolutely essential - I can't write with those free pens they give you here and there as "promotions". Only Muji pens come close in terms of quality, but they are a bit too thin.

If you enjoy hand-writing, you need to try this pen, if you have not yet done so!

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12