Profile for Oliver! > Reviews

Content by Oliver!
Top Reviewer Ranking: 779

Oliver! "Tea house warrior" (Saltaire, West Yorkshire, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering
Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering
by Bhikkhu Bodhi
Price: 8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Precious Book by Great Master, 29 May 2011
Some books on Buddha's teachings are quite large folios with few Buddha's words and a lot of author's thoughts and commentaries. But not this one.

This is a very small book, almost pocket format, and once I started reading it, I understood why.

Every word author placed in this book is carefully and precisely chosen to deliver Buddha's teaching of a Noble Eightfold Path with as little distortions as possible. It must have taken years to write this little book, but the results are remarkable. Every notion is made absolutely clear and easy to understand. The book is very easy to read, but it requires a long time to fully absorb the message and move on to the next page, or paragraph, or even sentence. Once again, it's not one of those books where you need to search a jewel hidden in hundred of pages, every word here is a jewel, a piece of a jigsaw absolutely required to have a complete picture.

I am so impressed with Bhikkhu Bodhi's work that I intend to buy all his other books once I finish this book.

UPDATE: I did buy most if not all Bhikkhu Bodhi's books, they are totally worth it.

ARCHOS 32 8 GB Internet Tablet
ARCHOS 32 8 GB Internet Tablet

4.0 out of 5 stars Great media player with Android functions, 5 May 2011
First, I would need to correct the somewhat misleading title. I am not sure a device with 3.2" display (that's smaller than most mobile phones these days) can be called a "tablet" but guess marketing wizz kids at Archos decided it is "cool" to call it like this. As it stands, it is "just" a very good music/video player with built-in browser and other Android options. In fact such options are somewhat limited as Archos devices are banned from Google marketplace due to lack of built-in 3G connectivity. There is of course a way around if you use the very same google, I am not sure if we are allowed here to post such links but you will find it in no time.

So back to the device, which, as we agreed, is in fact a media player and should be treated as such.

Archos' own description is very confusing so let me tell you what this player does.

1. It plays music files, of almost any format (MP3, Flac, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, AC). Audio quality is very good, in fact very close to Cowon which is a big compliment in my books. Also the fact that you can listen to music in un-compressed format is a great advantage compared to MP3-only players.

2. It playes HD video viles - WMV, AVI, H.264, MKV or QuickTime video with 720p resolution. As screen is only 400x240 you'll have to connect a player to a TV or monitor to enjoy HD content. It won't play BBC iplayer files as there is no built-in DRM support.

3. Connectivity
You can connect it using USB (standard micro port), or WiFi/Bluetooth.
File transfer is just drag-and-drop which is great.

4. Internet
Built-in browser is OK and due to a very powerful processor Internet works quite fast (if you'd want to use it on a tiny screen).

5. Games/apps etc.
I am not a big fan of phone games, or other apps for that matter, but for those who can't live without Angry Brirds, rejoyce, once you sort out the aformentioned connection to Android Marketplace you can have them all. Well Flash is definitely worth getting (since it's free anyway). Skype is good too but I have it on pc, notebook and phone - how many more skypes does one man needs?

6. Storage capacity
8GB is a huge let down, 16 is a real minimum these days (I think). One star off for low storage.

Conclusion

Archos 32 is a very decent media player. In fact, a very good media player. There are even some extra options for you to explore, but I am not commenting much on "tablet" side of this player as I have no need to use them (for now) .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2011 2:31 PM GMT

Lenovo Ideapad S205 11.6 inch Laptop (AMD E350, RAM 2GB, HDD 250GB, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars A new breed of notebooks are out, 2 May 2011
This is one of the first notebooks to come with long-anticipated AMD Fusion chips. I was waiting for them for quite some time, as I could not make myself buy an Atom netbook, even as they were becoming dirt-cheap. This particular model has a dual-core 1.6Ghz E350 CPU/GPU with AMD Radeon HD 6310M video card (integrated with CPU). Overall this CPU/GPU combination is amazingly powerful, most games are absolutely playable, HD Video running smoothly, and normal tasks like Web browsing, emails, office documents editing performed very fast. In fact Word starts almost instantly, in less than 1 second. Overall PC startup time is less than a minute inc login which is pretty impresive for Windows netbook.

Considering it's still the size/price of a typical (good) netbook we are talking here it's just amazing. In fact the specs of this machine are better than of my desktop (which is not new I admit).

The build quality is exceptional, with sleek design, quality almost full-size keyboard (I think letter keys are full-size, they only fiddled with arrows and enter buttons). Keyboard is the best around - I tried dozens of note/netbooks at PC World and other shops to compare (as I am going to use it for a lot of typing). Even more expensive models like Sony VAIO have inferior keyboards. Trackpad could be larger but it's OK. Glossy cover is a finger-print magnet (it is very hard to find matte cover on a netbook) but thanks to patterned design it's not so visible. Go off easily as well.

I was a bit conserned about glossy display but in fact it's not so bad as I mostly use it at the evening in a dimmed room so it's brighter than matte display and not so much reflective. Colours and contrast are very punchy, good for video/tv watching. Now having used it for some time I am not sure I would swap it for a matte screen.

It comes with Windows 7 Premium 64bit installed, which is much better than Starter edition, and you can upgrade memory up to 8GB, which will boost performance even further (if you really want to). Not too many extra software installed which is good, as most got deleted right away.

I think it is a perfect on-the-road netebook, light, stylish, with great battery life, and exceptionally fast.
Comment Comments (24) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2011 10:36 AM BST

Navigon 40 Plus 4.3 inch Sat Nav with 43 European Maps
Navigon 40 Plus 4.3 inch Sat Nav with 43 European Maps

5.0 out of 5 stars SatNav as it should be, fast, accurate and with good set of features, 29 April 2011
I have selected Navigon 2 years ago over TomTom and and other brands, and I am very happy about my decision. I had a 2150max model before and it did it's job pretty well. The only negatives were a) you could not select a route without specifying the route points and b) there was no Off button so if you use it only once in a while the battery is always flat and it takes about 5 minutes to start up.

Now having upgraded to Navigon 40 plus I am very happy that all this has been fixed, and a number of other cool features added.

Overall speed and accuracy improved significantly, due to a better processor and GPS receiver. It starts up very quick and finds GPS satellites in no time. There is now Off button as well, so it keeps the charge when not in use.

My routes is the feature I always wanted, so now I can select the road I want to take rather than being forced to use what I was told.

Lane assistant is handy too, warns you in advance what lane you should be in.

Screen is much brighter now as well, old one was a bit dim in comparison. This looks almost like AMOLED - very bright and crisp even in daylight.

Overall design is much sleeker, with nice metal feature, even the craddle and car charger look fantastic.

For 100 it's an absolute bargain - if you think Satnavs cost 1000+ just a few years ago and were bulky and unreliable, that's a massive progress. I am not sure if they can make them any smaller and cheaper from now on, but let's see.

I would definitely recommend this SatNav if you are undecided which to chose.

Nokia E7 Sim Free Mobile Phone Includes Free WH-205 Stereo Headset and HDMI Cable - Black
Offered by Book Seashore
Price: 194.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Nokia phone up to date - yet still not perfect?, 28 April 2011
I wanted this phone ever since it was announced. It was a new Psion for me, something I hoped to carry around and use to view/edit files and make notes (as well as making a few calls, checking emails and some Web browsing). I could have written this review on it, if I wanted. That was the dream. A Psion with colour touch screen, GPS and a phone - what else one can want?

Well I am afraid I'll have to keep dreaming!

This phone is certainly beautiful. Metal body, solid build, brilliant AMOLED display, sliding QWERTY keaboard... The touch and feel are exceptional. I know of no other phone on the market with similar quality (may iPhone fans forgive me). This is the phone to look at and admire.

But I wanted a phone to, actually, use it.

Here comes the dark side on Nokia.

Having decided to ditch Symbian OS in favour of Microsoft, it looks like they just did not dedicate enough resources to improve the user experience on this phone. I think even die-hard Symbian fans will agree that this OS in it's current state is dead. And as they are busy building MS phones I doubt that the software will be significantly improved - but this only time will tell.

User interface is quite obscure and hard to find yourself around. Many simple actions require 2-3 or more steps to complete. Many actions are slow to perform, like opening a file or application, probably in part due to a very slow by today's standards processor (680MHz). Interface is not very intuitive, and unless you upgrade from an older Nokia you will find it very complex. I used e72 for 2 years but it still was not straightforward. And no significant improvements that I expected from a more modern phone. That's Nokia user saying, I hate to think what Apple or Android user would think. They'd probably drop dead.

Web browser is very disappointing, slow and crashing way too often. Yet due to a bigger touchscreen it is still an improvement over older models.

I do not comment on camera as I am yet to use it, ever. There are "proper" cameras for that, why try to fit everything into a phone, making it heavier and more expensive? Same goes about MP3 player, none of the phones that I know can play music with a decent quality - but that's purely my opinion as Cowon and Sony user.

GPS is probably one of Nokia strongest points. It's Maps software is excellent, on par with my dedicated car GPS system, and does not require internet connection like Google maps. This is something any phone must have, and it's probably most used application for me (I travel a lot).

File vewing/editing is possible, but slow and not really convenient - keyboard is great for short messages and emails, but it's still too small to be totally comfortable. You can type with 4 fingers though which is still better than thumbs.

Conlcusion

This phone looked so promising but failed to deliver. Excellent design is let down by OS and interface. Hopefully 2 more years and my perfect phone will be built. But not this one.

GOOD

- Design and build quality
- AMOLED display
- Full QWERTY keaboard
- GPS with maps which does not require internet connection

BAD

- OS and User Interface
- Web browser
- Slow processor
- Very few useful applications on the market

UPDATE 07/2011: It's been only one month since launch, and the price is down [] on Amazon, and it can be bought [on another big marketplace] even cheaper - I think you can't fool the market. There's an update to Nokia UI coming soon, if it is improved, I think I might come back to E7, especially when the price will be a lot cheaper.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2011 8:16 AM GMT

Nokia E7 Silver & White
Nokia E7 Silver & White

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Nokia phone up to date - still not perfect?, 15 April 2011

Well I am afraid I'll have to keep dreaming!

But I wanted a phone to, actually, use it.

Here comes the dark side on Nokia.

Conlcusion

GOOD

- Design and build quality
- AMOLED display
- Full QWERTY keaboard
- GPS with maps which does not require internet connection

BAD

- OS and User Interface
- Web browser
- Slow processor
- Very few useful applications on the market

Uni-ball Eye UB157 Rollerball Pen Fine 0.7mm Tip 0.5mm Line Red Ref 9000702 [Pack of 12]
Price: 12.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A pack of 12 brilliant pens, 9 April 2011
A previous review must be a mistake, or there was a packing error which should be addressed to Amazon rather than posting a 1* review for a great product.

I have had similar packs for different colours and every time there were 12 pens as stated and all of them were brilliant!

Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes: The Scientifically Proven System for Reversing Diabetes Without Drugs
by Neal D Barnard

5.0 out of 5 stars All information you need to reverse or even completely heal diabetes, 9 April 2011
My best friend was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes two months ago and I've researched tons of books, web sites and other information about this condition in order to help him.

Unfortunately, official medicine seem uninterested in healing people with diabetes (both types), other than keeping their sugar levels low with medications in attempt to prolong their life. It seems that nothing has changed in treating this condition since the times when my grandfather had it. As a result of such "treatment" patients only further develop their insulin resistance (with type 2) and require more and more different medicines over time. I have not heard stories of people being completely healed by such drugs, quite on contrary, there are plenty of unfortunate stories of people losing sight, kidneys, limbs and even dying.

At the same time there is a simple way to improve your condition by simply eliminating products that caused diabetes in the first place - all animal products including fish and dairy, refined oils, sugars, alcohol and junk food. Replace it with vegetables, quality whole carbohydrates (yes) - like brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat; exercise daily, use natural and inexpensive supplements; fast, if you can; and you will start feeling better day by day.

There is no-one out there who can heal you, but yourself. And you have everything to be healthy. All you need is the right direction, and this book gives you enough information to find it. It is written by a doctor who dared to experiment and he discovered a very simple way to cure diabetes with incredibly high success level.

While I would urge you not to stop there and continue your research, this book is a very good start, in fact in has everything to change your life and get you on the road to recovery.

Coming back to my friend, he followed a program we developed for him, which is very similar to the one described in this book, for two months and last week his analysis came completely clean - Hemoglobin A1c 5.8, glucose 5.5. Of course it is not the reason to revert back to a previous diet, rather a motivation to go even further.

If you or your friend/relative have diabetes, especially type 2, you need to buy this book and give it a try. I do hope it will work for you same way it did for my friend. It's all in your hands.

UPDATE: It's been 6 months since my friend was diagnosed with diabetes and about 5 months since he adopted a diet similar to the one described in this book (I think a bit more advanced) and he is now virtually free of any symptoms - his blood sugar is always normal, and he feels less tired and in general much better than before. He only lost about 1 1/2 stone (9 kg) but considering it was done without any restrictions on food intake (he's a bit of an eater so it's hard to change) it's a good result.

If you or your relatives or friends have diabetes, please buy this book and research further but most important, stop eating foods that made you ill, and you too can become diabetes-free. It's not a miracle, it's only natural to live a healthy and happy life. Good luck.

Coconut Cures: Preventing and Treating Common Health Problems with Coconut
Coconut Cures: Preventing and Treating Common Health Problems with Coconut
by Bruce Fife
Price: 13.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The healthiest of all oils?, 9 April 2011
I've heard before that coconut oil is good for you, but could not say why exactly.

This book provides all the answers, and even more. It looks into the use of coconut oil from both scientific and practical point of views. Detailed explanations why you should use this oil and not the refined commercial oils are mixed with real-life testimonials when people with different ailments healed themselves with coconut oil.

Since reading this book I ordered 6 jars of virgin coconut oil and use it for cooking or as a cream (good for sunburns or as an after-shave) and can confirm that it is so much better even if compared to quality olive oil (I was not using refined vegetable oil like sunflower etc for a while). Most notable effect was that kids have a much better appetite and seem to enjoy rice with vegetables much more if it has coconut oil added.

I would recommend everyone to read this book and start using coconut oil (and bin all refined oils) - you will feel a difference!

Olympus XZ-1 Digital Camera - Black (10MP, 4x i.Zuiko Wide Optical Zoom) 3 inch LCD
Offered by Luzern
Price: 174.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great high-end compact camera, easy to use with high image quality, 31 Mar 2011
If you are on the market, like me, for a small camera that you can carry around with you all the time, that would also produce high quality images if not all than most of the time, and unwilling to spend 1500 on Leica X1 you know your choices are very limited.

So far there were only tree cameras that I narrowed down - Canon PowerShot G12, Panasonic Lumix LX5, and Nikon Coolpix P7000 but none of them appealed to me, for different reason.

Canon and Nikon are too large and look errr, odd and bulky, and Panasonic produces strange, sometimes unnatural colours.

I was awaiting for the forthcoming Fujifilm FinePix X100 Digital Camera, but it looks like it will be difficult to get for a while due to low production after the quake and very high demand, so no price reductions quite for some time, and 900 is still a lot for a regular person who just wants to make good pictures of his kids and some views from the trips.

Olympus XZ-1 comes as a very good and reasonable choice. It has larger image sensor and very wide and bright lens that lets lots of light through. As a result all images are of a very high quality, both on screen and in print. It is easy to operate, especially if you shoot in automatic settings like me. Good speed and decent battery life. Very light to carry around. Have only been using it for a few days but very positive results so far. Will update this review once (if) I hit some major drawback.

Some people note that it has not-so-good video recording, but I am not using as as I have a dedicated, and very good Sanyo camera for that (which does poor still images, which only proves the point that every product can only excel at one thing).

PS. I've updated the firmware straight away as it seems there were some focus problems with earlier models.
PPS. There is a new contender for this camera coming - Fujifilm X10, but at 500 it will be quite a bit more expensive.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2011 11:46 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11