Profile for T. E. > Reviews

T. E. "T.E."

Page: 1 | 2
Opera Rouge -CD+DVD/Spec-
Opera Rouge -CD+DVD/Spec-

3.0 out of 5 stars Traditional, with a few exceptions, not "Opéra Rouge", 8 Oct. 2014
I didn't enjoy the DVD that much since I had cheated myself into the idea of a super concert: a cross-over between what Vincent Niclo and the "Red Choirs" stands for. Instead, it's quite a traditional Red Army Choir concert. It only features Vincent a few times, and it's not really "Opéra Rouge" (as stated on the package front) either. I like the Army Choir, but expected a new take on presentation this time.

Asia - Live In Moscow [DVD] [2003]
Asia - Live In Moscow [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Asia

2.0 out of 5 stars Very average and a bad idea in the editing room., 1 Dec. 2012
First: I've been strict and gave it two stars, according to Amazon: meaning "I don't like it".

Two things disturb me.

1) Any concert on DVD that is chopped into pieces with "behind the scenes" after every other song is A CRIME.
2) After a while, it all seems so... average? I mean, they're not really on fire, are they?. The solo session performed by the drummer just seems dumb and out of place.

It is un-fresh, un-innovative and bland. ASIA is ASIA, but compared to other acts like Ultravox, Scooter, Mylène Farmer... ASIA does not stand out here. At all.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality fez hat., 1 Dec. 2012
To me, the brighter red fez hats are for fun, playing or masquerading. A proper fez hat should be coloured as they used to be, in dogwood (Cornus mas) colour, that is maroon. "As is" it fits an adult perfectly. Anyone with a smaller head might want to cut off a portion of the lower part to have it fit better. They're made of felted wool so cutting won't harm them. Finally, a fez with a tassle is not for me. They should have a little "antenna" on top, like this one. I own one and love it.

CAT Footwear Men's Apa Desert Trainer P713925 10 UK
CAT Footwear Men's Apa Desert Trainer P713925 10 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars So comfortable., 31 Oct. 2011
Along with the CAT Emerge Lace-up and CAT Shako Broder, these are true favourites.

I can use them all-day and the only thing I notice from time to time is that I'm surprised how comfortable they are. Thick enough sole so the shoe relieves the foot from the uneven surface of the ground. They have a very grippy sole, amongst the most slip resistant shoes I own.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Casual favourites, 31 Oct. 2011
My casual favourites. I use them all the time except when I need something more formal, and then I miss them.

Very, very comfortable with a somewhat unusual fit. They kind of grip the foot at mid-length (just in front of the ankle, lengthwise) and are roomy in the front portion of the shoe. I have never experienced any discomfort while wearing theese CAT shoes.

Outdoors they give very good traction even on wet, slippery rock or mountainsurfaces and this is how I use them much of the time, at day-long walks in nature. They only have one drawback, they're not water proof, so rainy days I use some other foot wear.

Patricia Kaas - Ce Sera Nous [DVD]
Patricia Kaas - Ce Sera Nous [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patricia Kaas
Offered by FREETIME

5.0 out of 5 stars Patricia Kaas and the musicians gives a superb performance, 14 Jun. 2010
It's not a colossal show.

In fact, it's just Patricia on stage, singing beautiful songs with skilled musicians.
The DVD edition is very nicely filmed, edited and concieved. Picture and sound are clear and colours are bright with excellent contrast.

It's a concert well captured on DVD, it'll put many others to shame.

When Patricia sings, she owns the stage, and when she doesn't sing - the musicians are in total control. Put together, you're given a powerful experience.

Unfortunately, outside of France many french artists are overlooked because of the language. Truly sad in many cases and Patricia with her powerful, well controlled voice with great depth is no exception.

One word only: Excellent.

Carly Simon - Live From Martha's Vineyard (US Import) [DVD] [2010]  [NTSC]
Carly Simon - Live From Martha's Vineyard (US Import) [DVD] [2010] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Carly Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars Carly Simon - Region free in glorious NTSC., 8 Jun. 2010
Here it is then. The 2009 edition of the previously hard-to-get-your-hands-on-concert... And it's a DVD this time. Live from Martha's Vineyard.

Many who appreciate Carly Simon's songs and voice own a worn out VHS of this particular concert and I'm no exception.

Filmed back in the "Video Era" (1987) and in NTSC format, you're sure to get a picture quality that is only second class, but Carly's voice is first class. Even if image quality isn't excellent, it doesn't affect sound quality and certainly not Carly's performance. She looks happy and lovely.

Good news for european customers may be that most TV sets and DVD players will be able to handle the NTSC format, so you will most probably have no playback trouble with this edition since it's also REGION FREE even if it's sold as REGION 1. At least my copy was, look at the uploaded images of the DVD's back cover.

However, I can leave no guarantees what-so-ever since I have a multi region DVD player, so would not notice any difference.

Strong points: Carly, Carly's voice, the songs and the intimate feeling of this outdoor concert with a relatively small audience at the sea side. It's like a family gathering.

The baddies: Mainly the 80's style clothing she wears in the beginning. Look at those padded shoulders! And with those trousers, I mean, she looks like the third man in Miami Vice! To some extent also video tape image quality and 80's choreography, which certainly left room for improvement.

Luckily, she soon removes the Miami Vice horror clothes and looks like a woman in a dress for the rest of the show. Pheew!
Comment Comment | Permalink

6 Pack: Kings of the Kitchen (including Gordon Ramsey, Dominique Bouchet, Guy Savoy, Peter Doyle, Anton Mossiman, Michel Roux [DVD] [2007]
Offered by Ansells

3.0 out of 5 stars Some strange brew..., 8 May 2010
Normally I care little about the technical stuff regarding DVD:s etc. Good content, good sound & picture and I'm a happy duck.

This set consists of three double-sided discs, each side carrying a program of 25 minutes in length.
Anyone realises that all 6 features (150 minutes) would have fitted nicely onto one single-sided disc.
There are no menus on the discs, the one 25 minute show just fires away and after it ends the DVD player stops. Never seen this before, doesn't really matter either...

The shows: Little visits on location in each chefs restaurant, a little chit-chat with the chefs and some staff. Really lacks substance.

With these culinary celebrities it isn't hard to think up ways to pack flavor into these DVD:s. Anything would have helped, like the chefs giving advice - "this produce is great with this herb" or maybe showing how to cook something a little tastier.

After a few shows I felt annoyed with one show per side as it means you don't have the "Play All" option, which would have come handy, the shows only lasting 25 short minutes each.

The box set is not expensive, so there's no hard feelings because of the short comings...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2010 8:12 PM BST

Ninja Vixens: Movies 1-5 Box Set [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Ninja Vixens: Movies 1-5 Box Set [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by M and N Media US

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a very good effort..., 6 Mar. 2010
I followed Amazon's rating when I gave it two stars, that is "I don't like it".
One star would be "I hate it". I did not feel hate.

However, while I thought these films would be light hearted fun in the martial arts genre, they are not, or rather, "Ninja Vixens: Flame of Seduction" is not. It's the only one I've watched.

Very poorly edited and filmed. Looks like something from the video era.

There's random nudity without any real meaning. I'm not prude so I wouldn't mind if there was a point.

There are five films in the box of which four that I probably never will watch, but "Ninja Vixens: Flame of Seduction" contained no real signs of martial arts skills.

My unofficial rating would be zero stars.

Chop Shop: London Garage - The Complete Series One [DVD]
Chop Shop: London Garage - The Complete Series One [DVD]
Offered by You Love a Bargain

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe, maybe not... Nah, you don't need be a gear head to enjoy this!, 9 Jun. 2009
Being the incurable spanner-monkey that I am, but of some age, I love series like this!
Chop Shop: London Garage gives you one of the best - and most entertaining - series to your very own small screen in the living room.

I don't know 'bout the truthfulness of the series background when they claim it's a legitimate business and so on - but never mind - let's just be in it for the ride and the (in)sane inspiration!

It's all about spirited designer Leepu Awlia from Bangladesh and his arrival in the UK where he is teamed up with long-time, old skool mechanic Bernie Fineman, a true cockney, me thinks. In addition there's Leepu's brother Zia, welder and panel beater and all the other guys in the team, like Julian, Terry, a polish guy nick-named Magic and at least two more.

From piles of junk from scrappers and elsewhere they design and build unique one-offs in record time, all of them road legal.

There's plenty of sparks flying from grinders as well as from the friction between them in the team.
This is nothing like American Chopper and other shows, this is far more entertaining, even for non-petrol heads because the series focuses on so many aspects.

Beautifully shot without artificial lighting and with just the right camera to give the episodes a gritty enough feel to them.

I normally care little for the extras, but here they're essential!
You get the two original episodes shot in Bangladesh - they have to be seen to be believed! There's also two episodes with production commentaries.

Great series! Only draw-back is that the DVD's are printed as they were aired as a TV-series, that is it's edited for commercial breaks, but never mind - you gotta luv'em!

Page: 1 | 2