Profile for Darkstar > Reviews

The Zen Experience
The Zen Experience
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading., 2 Oct 2013
I tend to avoid writing book reviews, the experience of a book is often too subjective for them to be meaningful, however in this instance I am going to make an exception. This is a very good book, a very good read, and absolutely astonishing considering it costs nothing. If you are interested in the history of Zen, or Chinese/Japanese buddhism in general, or even simply curious, then download this book now. The narrative flows easily, never becoming turgid or technical, and the author's knowledge of the subject is readily apparent. I am sure that if you are in one "camp" or other within the buddhist community some of his opinions may be contentious, but for an outsider's or layman's view of the subject this is as good as any I have read. You lose nothing by giving it a read.

Benetech Professional Grade Non-Contact LCD IR Infrared Digital Thermometer Laser Point
Offered by SYT Store
Price: 7.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy item at a good price!, 27 Jun 2013
I thought I was taking a bit of a risk ordering this item as it is considerably cheaper than other models on the market, but I am pleased to say that my concerns werent justified: this is a nice bit of kit. I daresay if you use a digital thermometer in your daily work you will want a more professional model, but for the handyman, this one is excellent.Its quite robust, sort of rubbery plastic casing, simple operation, works off a single 9v battery, has a laser guide and a backlight; its really very good for the price. I've used it to find cold spots in the double glazing and the radiators and I am sure more uses will present themselves as time goes on. The item was delivered well within the target time. Ten quid well spent (especially if you like boys toys :-) )You know you want one.............

OXFORD OXIMISER 601 BATTERY CHARGER OPTIMISER NEW FOR 2011
OXFORD OXIMISER 601 BATTERY CHARGER OPTIMISER NEW FOR 2011
Offered by BDLA Motorbike Accessories
Price: 35.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective bit of kit..., 21 May 2013
Just started the bike up after being stored, under a bike cover but out-of-doors over the winter.Started first press of the button. Cant say more than that really: it does the job it was bought for (and saves a lot of grief!). Recomended.

Acctim 13253 Smartlite Travel LCD Alarm, Black
Acctim 13253 Smartlite Travel LCD Alarm, Black
Price: 12.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Travel Alarm., 21 May 2013
Just returned from holiday in Central Asia having bought this alarm clock for the trip: I am very pleased with its performance. Delivery was swift and the instructions werent too incomprehensible :-)
On first looking I though the switches were a bit "plasticy" but they function very well with a positive motion. The night-light is sufficient but not too bright and the alarm is progressively loud: it never failed to wake me up, even at 04:30!
The folding cover/stand is effective and unobtrusive. The fact that it takes a standard battery is good, they are available everywhere whereas the "button" type batteries some of the smaller alarms take can be hard to find, though the sales material reckons it will work for about 18 months on a battery so you'd have to be unlucky for it to die on you...
An efficient, reliable travel alarm at a reasonable price: recomended.

Gorilla Glue 60ml
Gorilla Glue 60ml
Price: 4.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but read the instructions!, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Gorilla Glue 60ml (DIY & Tools)
This is a good product, simple to apply and very strong, but you need to be aware that its not a contact adhesive and it has almost zero tackiness (or "grab") when first applied. Thats not such a problem if you have gravity on your side, but if you are sticking vertical surfaces for example you will need a way to hold everything together (and to stop the glue running). Also, the manufacturers recommend clamping the surfaces together for a couple of hours to get the best result, and thats not always possible.
It will stick almost anything to anything else, but does need some water sprayed on one surface to activate the glue.
I used this glue to fix a leather door panel to the metal frame of a car door and it did a very good job, but I had to use a lot of gaffa tape on the paintwork of my car to hold the whole thing together, which isnt the best for it.
I am pleased with this product and would recommend it, but you need to read the instructions and think about applying it before you actually do.

Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds - Rasta (discontinued by manufacturer)
Skullcandy INK'D Earbuds - Rasta (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by BlueBarrelSurf
Price: 29.99

2.0 out of 5 stars They dont last..., 3 April 2013
There's not a lot to say really: they look good, they sound ok, they dont cost the earth, and they dont last a month!
Really, an established company should address the problem that is reported by so many customers. The wires strip out of the 'phones. Its a quality control matter surely? I wouldnt buy them again.

OtterBox Impact Case for Nokia N8 - Black
OtterBox Impact Case for Nokia N8 - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective yet impractical!, 3 April 2013
This case will protect your N8 very well, it fits well and doesnt interfere with any of the function buttons, so in that regard it does its job. Unfortunately, I have found it to be impractical to use. It is quite bulky and its not at all smooth: with it on, your phone will not slide into your pocket (or slide out of it...): its rubber, which means in practice you have to hold your pocket open and PUT the phone in: you wouldnt believe how difficult this makes life! 100% friction. It'll stay where you put it, but in practice thats not a good thing. I've stopped using mine. Perhaps if you take your phone potholing its ok, but if you wear your phone in a suit pocket (or the pocket of your jeans): NO.

Giorgio Beverly Hills Yellow Homme Eau de Toilette Spray 118 ml
Giorgio Beverly Hills Yellow Homme Eau de Toilette Spray 118 ml
Price: 12.85

3.0 out of 5 stars Think about it.........., 3 April 2013
This product has a nice smell and you get a big bottle for a bargain price, BUT.......it doesnt last. I find I need to use six or seven sprays to have a noticeable effect, it seems very dilute, and that makes me wonder just how economical it works out to be.
If you want something for an immediate effect then this would be fine, but if you want something to last an evening out or at least a couple of hours then this product just wont do. You pay your money and make your chouice I guess. I like the smell, but I wouldnt buy it again.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Black
Price: 59.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A reluctant convert........, 12 Mar 2013
I've been an Amazon customer since the year dot, mainly for books, which I have at home on floor-to-ceiling shelves, and I always resisted the lure of the Kindle on the basis that I like "real" books. However, as I have a longish holiday coming up and didnt want to carry several pounds of books in my luggage, I bought a basic Kindle. What a revelation! There's several technical reviews here so no point in me adding to them, but simply for the convenience, the suprising number of free books, and the relatively low price of the Kindle itself I think I have really been missing out: and so are you if you dont have one! If you buy a case for one, the Kindle handles just like a real book and is just as comfortable to read (this is necessary if you cant get on with the "one-handedness" of the naked Kindle). The screen is very good, not quite as "non-reflective" as advertised, it WILL reflect an overhead light, but its very good otherwise. And the adjustable font is a blessing for older eyes. I'm very pleased I got one, it wont stop me buying real books, but the Kindle expands your reading experience, and if you dont need the whizz-bangs of the tablet/semi-computer Kindle Fire you arent missing out by getting the basic model. I'm very pleased with mine, and if you are a "reader" you will be very pleased with yours. Get one.

MulBess Brown Lighted Leather case cover Built in Light For Amazon Kindle 4 Wi-Fi/3G 6 "E Ink Screen Display Reader October 2011 , Brown I
Offered by MULBESS

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes the Kindle perfect!, 8 Mar 2013
I really like this product, it makes the Kindle reading experience perfect in that it restores the "two handed" feel of a real book, something you open and close and something you can hold in the middle, the "spine" of the "book" in effect.
Delivery was very fast, well within the estimate. Other reviewers have mentioned difficulty in fitting the Kindle into this case, however for me it seemed simplicity itself: of course its quite a firm fit - you dont want the Kindle dropping out of the thing, do you? - but it really wasnt a problem. The electrical contacts lined up first time, no problem there either.
The light is adequate: if you really do most of your reading in the dark then you'd probably be better off getting the Kindle Paperlight which would solve that problem at a stroke, but I only wanted a light for the "just in case" scenario, very occasional use, and this is fine for that pupose. Its a big plus that the light in this case is fitted, flush and very stylish: some of the offerings with clip-on lights look really bulky and awkward.
Bearing in mind that, at the current reduced price, this case is a third of the cost of some of the alternatives it really is a great buy. I'm chuffed to bits with mine. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7