Profile for swoodwa > Reviews

The Help [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emma Stone
Offered by FILMNIGHT

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 19 April 2012
This review is from: The Help [DVD] (DVD)
Clearly, any film to be nominated in several categories at the Oscars is going to have some great talent involved, whether it be directorial, writing, screenplay or acting. This opus in my opinion ticks every box. A truly inspirational piece of work that covers all emotional strings in one sitting. Not often will I come on here to post a film review but I felt compelled in this case.

If like me you are a bit unsure (I purchased the film for my wife) as to whether it would be up your street, well don't wait for a second, grab it and savour every moment. It truly is a crying shame when the end titles roll.

Mountain Echo
Mountain Echo
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars One word...Fabulous, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Mountain Echo (Audio CD)
Was flicking through the latest Q magazine, which I last bought some 3 years ago and happened to come upon a review of this young ladies debut. Checked it out on Spotify and after listening to the first two tracks decided to make the purchase. Have seen her and others billed as following in Adele's shadow but in my mind this is a lot more satisfying than the former or any others.

A great collection of well paced songs and produced largely by Bernard Butler (who we all know has an eye for great talent) together with a collaboration by Ed Harcourt - this is deemed to be a great long player if nothing else.

It is hopeful she gets the recognition that is deserved and has a chance to create sequels to this opus for a long time coming.

Favourite tracks? Well there is not a dud amongst them but Numb, Like a Runaway, Mountain Echo and Remember Me are my current choice.

Check her out on Twitter.
@JodieMarieMusic

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Ramin Karimloo

5.0 out of 5 stars Awe inspiring, 21 Jan 2012
Am a fan of musicals but never previously with Phantom, only version seen prior to this was the 2004 film.

I purchased for my wife as an extra at Xmas, we watched it last night and I was blown away by the performance of all cast members. The staging was fabulous considering the venue it was played and audio/video quality on the Blu Ray was a massive selling point of the format.

The finale with the Lord and previous cast members singing the two most popular songs was a perfect ending and great to see Michael Crawford up there and very emotional, i would imagine the reason he does not sing is that he rushed from the Palladium where he was performing in Wizard of Oz that night.

Now if only they could do something similar for Evita!

Live At The Royal Albert Hall (incl. CD) [DVD](Region Free)
Live At The Royal Albert Hall (incl. CD) [DVD](Region Free)
Dvd ~ Adele
Offered by mecodu-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars A review not losing stars about swearing, or picture/sound quality!, 20 Jan 2012
My own opinion is that whilst this girl can belt out the notes to a great level, I am interested more in what is behind those notes.

There is something missing for me. I understand that Adele is very much a "torch" singer who is happy to stand at a mic and deliver "raw emotion", maybe her connection only works for some people. Alas I did not feel it.

Adele has produced some very nice music, perfect to be playing in the background and as a person she is witty and likeable - I have no issue with the swearing, so what? It is just random letters rearranged into something that people can more easily understand.

I suppose I am my own worst enemy, I had hoped for the mesmeric performance to come flowing out, I had set out to really enjoy this show but felt disappointed.

Too smooth, too analysed, more "show"and a bit more razmatazz required.

For me it really hit home when she happily told the audience about all the sad songs that will be getting sung. I enjoy being sad and all that goes with it for a short period, but I like being happy all the time.

Who knows, maybe adele can produce a bit more "happiness" next time round.

Hal
Hal
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful!, 11 Jun 2005
This review is from: Hal (Audio CD)
Forget the recent big releases by Coldplay & Oasis et al, this is where the enjoyment is to be had. Once in a while an album is released that can be listened to from start to end on the first play, whilst leaving a massive smile on your face as well as your heart. This is just one such slab of music, standouts for me..."My Eyes are Sore" beautiful and stirring, when the strings come in right towards the end overlaying the final round of harmonies..fabulous, "Don't Come Running" & "Worry about the Wind" lovely summer 70's era Beach Boys & Big Star driving songs, "Coming Right Over" simply wonderful, what a way to end a fantastic 43 mins of music. With Hal and The Magic Numbers we truly are spoilt! Buy Buy Buy!!

Scissor Sisters
Scissor Sisters
Offered by NetsavesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year in Febuary??, 7 Feb 2004
This review is from: Scissor Sisters (Audio CD)
I think so, one of the few albums in a very very long time in which I enjoy every single track. Simply wonderful, fantastic and and amazing stuff. Just Buy it!

Standing In the Shadows Of Motown
Standing In the Shadows Of Motown
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment, 25 Sep 2003
Am a huge fan of Motown and decided to purchase this purely on the basis of the Funk Brothers involvement. Certainly there is nothing wrong in the instrumental side of the album, but there is in the choice of some of the vocalists and their interpretations of some of the tracks. Joan Osbourne is the exception to the rule and her two tracks are fantastic. Less to be said about Chaka Khan though, as her reading of What's Going On is tepid to say the least, never mind her and Montell Jordan trying to do a Tammi and Marvin on Ain't No Mountain High Enough. It is quite simply awful, and to think of all the excitment and enjoyment the original version creates. Myself being a HUGE Marvin Gaye fan I focus on these two songs for obvious reasons, but overall it is a very weak package indeed. If you are after a high quality Motown orientated album then the very best is "Marvin is 60" fantasic stuff.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2011 9:33 PM GMT

Back In The World
Back In The World
Offered by Media Vortex

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather Disappointing, 25 April 2003
This review is from: Back In The World (Audio CD)
Whilst I have not been to one of his current shows, though will be going to see him at the Kings Dock in Liverpool this really does disappoint, the sound quality of this is nothing short of shocking. There is simply no feeling or atmosphere on this particular release. If you want a quality live Mccartney release "tripping the live fantastic 2CD" is a far better choice. As well as this it was a shame not to see more rare Beatles songs being performed as Brian Wilson does with the Beach Boys songs catalogue.

Mind If We Make Love To You [Us Import]
Mind If We Make Love To You [Us Import]
Offered by HANG LOOSE Records

5.0 out of 5 stars More More More Please!, 13 Dec 2002
It would seem to the avid fan that the “mints” are taking a rather long journey to the heights of megastardom. I myself think that Darian, Nick and Mike are enjoying the rather comfortable stroll. Since the debut “Wondermints” demo days of promise to the startling “Wonderful World of…” covers where they fabulously reinterpreted some classic tunes. It now seems that following the brilliant if inconsistent “Bali” they have finally hit the nerve on the head with “Mind If We Make Love To You”. Guesting on the album is genius Brian Wilson though I am hard pressed to hear it. Luckily this doesn’t matter one bit as they simply trawl through the obvious influences from Brother Brian to the Beatles and take a slight detour to Badfinger and Todd Rundgren among others. Some of the music on here is quite simply amazing with the final four tracks as good as anything you will ever hear. Particular note for myself though has to go to “Another Way” which according to interviews with Mr Sahanaja was put together in a rush and only just got onto the record! The background harmonies that come into the mix a minute from the end are simply heavenly and make the hairs stand on end everytime. God only knows that if they had acres of press coverage this gig would rule the world, but then it wouldn’t be as fun would it?!

Pet Sounds
Pet Sounds
Offered by srotceh66

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of THE rock genius, 8 Jun 2002
This review is from: Pet Sounds (Audio CD)
Well what can you say?... The greatest album ever made performed live in London at the historic Festival Hall. Brian has put together some great musicians to create what has been placed on this disc, and utter gold it is too, hell I would have paid the price just for the instrumentals never mind the whole album! If you have a passing interest in the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson or like me revere his musical creations you simply must add this to your collection.

Page: 1 | 2