Profile for G. S. Dingwall > Reviews

Flying Monsters (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Flying Monsters (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray) [Region Free]
Dvd ~ David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Documentary with great use of 3D, 18 Aug 2012
This is a great documentary, even without the 3D. Add in the 3D and it really makes it top notch. The presentation, along with the excellent use of 3D, makes this one of the best documentaries I have ever seen. Only criticism is that it could have been a bit longer.

Kingdom of Plants in 3D (Blu-ray 3D)
Kingdom of Plants in 3D (Blu-ray 3D)
Dvd ~ David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Approach and great use of 3D, 18 Aug 2012
I really enjoyed this series when it came out on TV. Now I can watch it in 3D it's even better. Makes really good use of the 3D effect without overwhelming you with unnecessary pop-out effects.

Sony TDGBR750 Titanium Active Shutter 3D Glasses
Sony TDGBR750 Titanium Active Shutter 3D Glasses

5.0 out of 5 stars Watching 3D is a pleasure with these glasses, 7 Aug 2012
I've only recently upgraded to a 3D AV system. I bought a pair of Sony TDGBR250 3D Glasses at half price when I bought my TV. Those were heavy and uncomfortable, and did not fit well over my prescription glasses.

These glasses are lightweight and comfortable to wear. They fit well over my own glasses, although I find it better to remove the nose piece. They sit better on my own glasses without it. They make it easier to watch more 3D or play a 3D game for a longer session.

I don't know if it is my imagination, but the quality of the 3D seems to be better with these glasses.

They are a bit on the pricey side, so I will wait for a while to see if the price comes down before buying any more of these glasses.

I watched 2 movies all the way through wearing these glasses and the battery lasted fine. Charging is very quick.

I'm really impressed with these glasses.

ONKYO SKS-HT528B 5.1 Speaker Package
ONKYO SKS-HT528B 5.1 Speaker Package
Offered by DIRECT 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value For the Price, 6 Aug 2012
After recently buying a new AV Receiver for 3D for my main AV setup, I moved my old AV receiver into my bedroom. This set of speakers was bought so that I could have better quality sound for my bedroom TV, Sky+ HD Box and Bluray Player. I didn't really want to spend too much on a full set of speakers just for a bedroom, so this set seemed to provide value for money.

The sound quality is really quite good, considering the price. When watching Bluray movies, or Sky HD content with HD sound, they do a very good job. I have suspicions that the supplied cables may be reducing the sound quality a bit, especially from the sub-woofer. I have some spare bulk speaker cable left over from my main AV setup, so I may end up replacing the supplied cables.

Overall, a good basic set of speakers at a reasonable price.

Sony BR250 3D Glasses (Pack of 2 Pairs)
Sony BR250 3D Glasses (Pack of 2 Pairs)
Offered by Appods

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavy and don't fit over normal glasses, 22 July 2012
I got these from the half price offer that came with the new TV I bought recently from Amazon.

My first problem is they don't fit over my prescription glasses. the 3D lenses are too small to fit around the frame of my normal glasses. This has the effect of pushing the 3D glasses away from your eyes and making it seem a bit like tunnel vision. The next problem is they are quite heavy. The combined weight of these glasses and my own glasses is quite a lot and I end up with the bridge of my nose hurting after a couple of hours watching a movie. I also find they are a bit too reflective and any light in front of your head will cause reflection in the gasses. They really could have done with putting an anti-reflective coating on them.

This is my first experience of watching 3D, so I can't really compare it to anything else. For me the 3D looks great most of the time. I have noticed the 3D effect switches off from time to time. It happens on DVDs and games. Not sure what is going on here, will need a bit more testing to see what's causing it.

The weight and poor fitting are real downers for me. They make watching 3D a bit of a chore. I think I might get a pair of the new lightweight 3D glasses from Sony and see if they are any better.

In light of my experience, I can't really justify any more than 3 stars for these glasses.

Sony STRDN1020 AV Receiver
Sony STRDN1020 AV Receiver

5.0 out of 5 stars The quality of the sound is magic., 22 July 2012
I bought this as part of a recent general upgrade of my AV system so that I could watch 3D. I also bought a 3D TV and 3D Bluray player.

The quality of the sound output from this machine is just awesome. It replaced an older Sony STR910 receiver, which I thought had great sound. This one makes the old one sound ordinary. It performs well from the quietest to the loudest audio.

The layout on the back was almost the same as my old one, so it was very easy to connect all my stuff. Just remember to label your cables before you disconnect them from your old receiver. It makes connecting to the new one so much easier. The Auto Mike calibration was spot on, and did not need any further intervention from me.

I'm not really interested in the internet abilities of this item as I have a PC connected to my AV system. All I can say is the internet connection works OK.

There are plenty of connections on the back. The four HDMi In sockets are just right for me.

I have a TV, DVD, PS3 and PC connected to the HDMi sockets, (PC audio is connected to separate audio-in sockets), and a CD player and record deck connected to standard Audio in sockets.

I've been having a little trouble with AV Sync. Sometimes it gets stuck on the DVD channel and I have to turn it off to be able to access the other items connected to it. Not sure if this is a problem with the receiver or the DVD player. I disabled AV Sync on the DVD player and that has sorted it out for now. Probably needs a little more thought on my part.

The menu system is a bit on the weak side. I'm sure I've not fully explored all the options yet, but it is not the easiest menu system to use. Don't really know why Sony just didn't use a standard XMB system similar to that on the PS3.

Overall this is a great piece of kit. My main interest is the quality of sound. The other stuff is just window dressing and of little interest to me. On the basis of sound quality I have no problem giving this item 5 stars.

Sony KDL55HX853 55-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p SMART 3D Dynamic LED Television with Built-in Home Theatre System Stand (New for 2012)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Picture I've Ever Had - But still a few quibbles., 21 July 2012
See EDIT at the bottom of this review.

Just got this TV a few days ago and I have to say I am really impressed with the picture quality. HD is awesome and even SD is as good as I've ever seen it on a large screen TV. I've not seen any banding or clouding anywhere in any conditions. The glass covering the screen is quite reflective and you might need to control reflections in strong light.

Full 3D is pretty good, but I've never had a 3D TV before, so it's difficult for me to say it's better than any other set. I went for the half price offer on 2 pairs of Sony TDGBR250 3D Glasses. Unfortunately they are not a very good fit over my prescription glasses. The lenses are too small and they end up sitting about half an inch in front of where they would be without my glasses. I went out and bought a pair of ready made glasses with smaller lenses that would fit inside the frame of the 3D glasses. That has helped a bit. The 3D glasses are quite heavy. The combined weight of my own glasses and the 3D means that the bridge of my nose is quite sore after a couple of hours watching a movie. I might try the newer light-weight Sony 3D glasses that are now available.

Converting 2D to 3D is of limited use for me. You don't really get much of a 3D experience with it. It's more like a mild sense of depth in the picture. I might be inclined to use it more if the glasses were a bit more comfortable to wear.

The colour out of the box was really quite good. I tweaked the picture settings a little, mainly contrast, brightness and backlight, and now I'm very happy with it. The blacks and whites a really pure, much better than I've ever seen in an LED/LCD TV. The colour is deep and has a great tonal range from dark to light. You can still see the texture of the material of a person in a black suit, while the black remains pure. You don't get any black holes in the picture in dim scenes.

It is unlikely I would use the TV speakers much as I have all my stuff connected to an AV Receiver, but the sound from the TV speakers isn't all that bad if you don't have any other options.

The Stand, which also contains the speakers, is longer than the screen is wide. I have a few gripes about the stand. One is that it is silver in colour. I would have preferred it if it were black like the rest of the TV. I find the 5 foot wide silver bar stands out and can be a little distracting. The second gripe is the TV leans back at an angle of a few degrees. You can't make stand perfectly straight up. That's' the way it's built. It does not swivel left or right either.

I have a PS3, a Sony Bluray player, a PC and a Sky HD box plugged into my Sony AV Receiver and then passed out to the TV with an HDMi cable. AV Sync works reasonable well with the exception of the BD player. I had to disable AV sync for the BD player as it would not release back to one of the other sync components. I don't know whether this is a problem with the TV, the BD player or the AV receiver, but I can live without AV sync anyway. However the TV is great with all of the stuff I have connected.

The on screen menu is very weak. I really don't know why they didn't just put in a standard Sony XMB. It's not easy to navigate and it's unclear what each menu option contains.

I don't use the internet options a lot. Most of them are not things I would use. The BBC iPlayer and a couple of other catch up services are OK, I will likely access music from a network hard drive from time to time, I can play music from my phone through the TV and the sound is output from my AV Receiver, but the rest is just wasted space for me. I can't stream movies as I don't have sufficient bandwidth. I also found the connection, both wired and wireless to be slow compared to my connected PC. It takes ages for the iPlayer to get going and ages more to select and play programs.

There are many features I have yet to try. Most of them I would likely not be interested in. My main concern with a TV is the quality of the picture. The sound is taken care of by the AV receiver and the internet stuff is much better using my connected PC. The problems with the stand and the menu system are seen as trivial.

The 3D glasses are a bit more of a concern for me. They are not really suitable for the wearing over the sort of prescription glasses I wear. They are heavy and a little uncomfortable to wear.

However, the quality of the picture is really first class. Normal SD TV is really good and HD TV and Bluray DVDs are outstanding. I'm still in two minds about the 3D. There's not a lot of content out there that I find interesting. So far I only have 2 movies, Ghost Rider - Spirit of Vengeance and The Three Musketeers, I also have a couple of documentaries, Kingdom of Plants and Flying Monsters. The documentaries are stunning and really seem to make best use of the TVs 3D capabilities. I think I need to watch the movies a couple of more time to make my mind up on them.

I would really like to have knocked of half a star for this TV, The picture is fantastic but there are just a few too many minor issues. However, I am prepared to recommend this TV on the basis of the quality of its picture. The best quality from any TV I've ever owned.

EDIT:

Just want to put in a few words about my 3D experience. Most of the time I just can never seem to get a 3D picture without some crosstalk in it. If I get the front of the 3D field perfect, then the back has a lot of crosstalk and vice versa. The adjustment you have with this set is very limited. All you get is zero and plus or minus 1 and 2. I have never found any movie which is better on any setting other than zero.

So I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the 3D performance of this set. I don't know enough about other 3D models to say it's better or worse than any other brand, but the 3D is not this set's best feature in my opinion.

Just to confirm my earlier comments, 3D aside, this is the best TV I have ever owned and it has great HD and SD picture quality.

Edit No.2:

I was so fed up of not being able to get a good 3D picture, I had my eyes tested to see if there was anything wrong with my stereo vision. It seems I am one of a sizeable minority who will never be able to see 3D TV pictures properly. My eyes don't focus in the right place to bring the 2 images back together correctly. Ah well, so no 3D for me, but this is such a good TV for everything else, I'm not too bothered about it.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 10:00 PM BST

John Carter [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
John Carter [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Taylor Kitsch

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 8 July 2012
Having heard all the bad reviews I didn't really have high hopes for this movie. The critics were wrong and I think this is a fun movie to watch.

I grew up with Edgar Rice Burroughs books, although my favourite was the Venus series. This film actual feels like a Burroughs story and that's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much.

The CGI is fantastic, almost as good as Pandora in places. The "DOG" is adorable. The dialogue is a little limited but the characters are well portrayed.

I'm sure I will be watching this movie again, many times. As a sci-fi nut and a Burroughs fan, I'm happy to give this movie 5 stars.

Dreamland Intelliheat Heated Fleecy King Size Dual Mattress Protector
Dreamland Intelliheat Heated Fleecy King Size Dual Mattress Protector
Offered by World of Outdoors

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but problems with the cable., 10 Feb 2012
Works well and does what it says on the pack. Some may find the lights a bit on the bright side. Only complaints relate to the cables.

It plugs in on each side about 18 inches from the head end of the bed. (You need two mains sockets for this item). This makes it impossible to tuck your bottom sheet in under the mattress, and it is surprising how often your hands or arms seem to end up resting on the plugs. It would have been better if the connections were on the top end of the blanket so the leads went over the top end of the mattress.

The length of the cable between the controllers and the blanket is very short. Makes it impossible to sit the controllers on the bedside tables. They have to be left dangling down the side of the bed. Could have done with another couple of feet of cable.

Thermoskin Pair of Arthritic Gloves Large 24-26cm
Thermoskin Pair of Arthritic Gloves Large 24-26cm

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I had hoped, 8 Feb 2012
I bought these to help with mild arthritis in my fingers which gets worse in the winter. They are nice and tight on the hand and you can definitely feel the extra heat helping to soothe the pain. I find I don't want to wear them all the time, as the pressure applied by the gloves becomes a little uncomfortable after a few hours. So I just use them in the morning and if my hands feel cold at other times of the day. They definitely help the discomfort in the fingers, but there are a few things I don't like about them.

The outer layer of the gloves is made from some sort of material which has a surface which feels very similar to velcro. I suppose this might have been used to provide added grip, but it is all over the glove. It makes it awkward to push you hand into a pocket at times as the rough surface can catch on the material of your trousers. Difficult to use in a shop as they can make it hard to get your money out of your pocket.

They seem a little shoddy in manufacture. There are lots of loose little ends of thread sticking out. The gloves appear to be made of some sort of rubbery material and a glue has been used to join parts of the glove together. In places some of this glue is on the surface of the gloves and gives the glove an overall cheap look as if very little care has been taken in their manufacture.

I find it is not possible to wear the gloves all the time. You have to take them off whenever you are likely to get them dirty or wet. You might have to take them off many times during the day. They are not easy to take off. If you have ever worn a tight Marigold kitchen glove, you'll know what I mean when I say you have to work at it to get them off your hands. The gloves feel a lot like rubber kitchen gloves in the way they stretch when you try to pull them off. I worry about how much of this stretching they will take before tearing at one of the seems.

Finally, a minor point, but I find I can't wear my wristwatch while wearing the gloves. The glove extends on to my wrist to the point where my watch would sit. I know I could buy a larger bracelet for my watch, but they are very expensive for the watch I wear.

If you can put up with the stuff I've mentioned, then these gloves do seem to help with arthritic pain in the fingers.

PS. I find I have to be careful if typing while wearing these gloves. They stop the fingers moving apart to some extent when you try to reach some of the keys. I find I make quite a few mistakes due to hitting the key next to the one I thought I was using.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7