Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Profile for KATN > Reviews

Content by KATN

KATN

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Acts: An Exegetical Commentary, Volume I: Introduction and 1:1-2:47
Acts: An Exegetical Commentary, Volume I: Introduction and 1:1-2:47
by Craig S. Keener

4.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Companion to Other Serious Commentaries on Acts, 5 Feb. 2015
I hope to give a more detailed review when I've read more of this tome. But for now here is why I bought it and will get the other three volumes.

Books by Keener, whether commentaries or otherwise, are a vast and detailed mine of information about the Greco-Roman world around the first century AD. You find out about customs, rhetoric, opinions, processes...all sorts of things that shed some times fascinating light on the Biblical text. If you are reading a Keener commentary, you will get this in spades, but not so much in the way of a normal higher end commentary. His aim is to focus on the socio-rhetorical aspects of the text, and will not spend a long or equal time on each verse, hammering out all the details such as you might find in a commentary from series such as New International Commentary on the Greek Testament, International Critical Commentary, Hermeneia, or even New International Commentary on the New Testament or the Pillar series, etc. So I find Keener (Ben Witherington offers the same kind of commentary) to be an essential addition to one or two of these major commentaries which will handles the whole text and the scholarly issues. Keener in this first volume does devote most of it to introductory scholarly issues, though he does write clearly and should be accessible to the interested non-scholars. As far as I can tell, Keener has translations for Greek and Hebrew, but often will offer the original word in brackets rather than present the Greek without explanation.

What I really like about these volumes (I own 1 and 3 so far) are the excurses. These are often fascinating and I really applaud the layout of the detailed contents page for each volume, where the various excurses are highlighted and therefore easy to find. Some examples are 'Ancient Physicians', 'The Sabbath in Early Judaism', 'Astrology', 'Proposed Backgrounds for Baptism', and from vol. 3, 'Dreams', 'Pythoness Spirits', 'Patrons, Clients, and Reciprocity', 'Demons and Spirit Possession'. In each excursus, Keener will go through the various sources, Jewish, Roman, Greek, Christian, etc, and will show how the topic in question operated or was viewed in all its shades and differences. Two striking ones for me in vol. 3 were on 'Purple' (as in the production of) and 'Suicide in Antiquity', the latter of which went into detail about what were the approved of and despised reasons for suicide (some reasons were romantic, others military, others for honour etc) and what methods or weapons were approved of (some were approved for women but not for men). This was in relation to the jailer who was preparing to commit suicide when he thought Paul had escaped.

Everything has a source - Keener doesn't make a statement without a footnote to a source. He seems to have read everything. It also helps you organise material and think through data. Unsurprisingly the bibliographies and indexes are so large that there are contained on CDs at the end of each volume!

Anyway, I hope to update this review later when I have read more, but to summarise - these volumes are very readable and a wealth of information on the ancient Greco-Roman world. The excurses alone will keep you dipping into these volumes, and they are easy to find thanks to the excellent layout of the contents. You will need another commentary, however, for detailed exegesis on each and every verse with more attention to the usual scholarly details. You also don't need to be a scholar to read these, or need to know the Biblical languages.

kenable Pure OFC HQ 3.5mm Jack to Stereo Jack Socket Extension Cable 5m
kenable Pure OFC HQ 3.5mm Jack to Stereo Jack Socket Extension Cable 5m
Offered by Best Price Square

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Cheap Alternative to Wireless Headphones, 5 Feb. 2015
These work well so far. I bought the 5m version because they cost less than £4 and wireless headphones (decent ones) cost £80. They seem a nice quality, and I like the look of them. Good investment for me.

20 Inch Roll-up Vinyl Tournament Algebraic Chess Board
20 Inch Roll-up Vinyl Tournament Algebraic Chess Board
Offered by JDS Toys & Games Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Really happy with this in general, 5 Feb. 2015
Really happy with this in general. Bought it as children are now interested in chess. It's quite large but seems tough, and of course is very portable. We just roll it up each time and stuff it on a shelf. It does have a certain smell which someone else complained about, but I don't mind smells like this.

It gets four and not five stars because of a partial boot print on it! The print doesn't actually encroach upon the squares, so I didn't ask for a replacement. Perhaps I should have anyway. The print is, however, permanent and won't wash off. Shame, but its a good product anyway.

iBoutique® 30W Bayonet (B22) Daylight Energy Saving Light Bulb Equivalent Output 150 Watts (Full Spectrum) Great For SAD Sufferers, Snooker, Pool, Hobbies, Crafts, Photography

1.0 out of 5 stars Look Elsewhere, 5 Feb. 2015
Gives a very cold light which is not particularly bright either. It also did not last very long. I found another bulb which was brighter and gave a warmer tone, which is also still working...

Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009)
Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009)
Dvd ~ Brad Pitt
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this is Tarantino's best film. I was really rocked by it the ..., 6 Dec. 2014
I think this is Tarantino's best film. I was really rocked by it the first time I saw it, and was confirmed in my impression by a re-watching. It is quite violent, even for a Tarantino film, but is very, very engaging. There are many unforgettable scenes and pieces of dialogue and acting, and it has a very satisfying ending. Everyone who is in this is at their best - Diane Kruger, Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender, Christopher Waltz, Til Schweiger, and, though this was the first thing I've seen her in - Mélanie Laurent - was excellent as well.
Waltz was brilliant as 'the bad guy', the kind of bad guy you really enjoy seeing on the screen yet despise at the same time and is convincingly threatening yet charismatic. As the biggest star by far, Brad Pitt could have made this film lopsided, but I think he fits into his role very well, and serves the scenes he's in without dominating them or pulling the focus towards him. I do think he is a very good actor.
Though I'm sure plenty would disagree, I think this is Tarantino's best, and I would be surprised (but also pleased) if he could better it. I really liked Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction in particular, and I think these are his top 3. But we shall see!

The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Vol. 1 & 2
The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Vol. 1 & 2
by James H. Charlesworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable for some, 6 Dec. 2014
These are very cheap (for what they are) and well produced. I'm not sure what to say about them, because I'm not sure who to say it to - the people who would normally buy these volumes tend to need them. I can only assure them that they have all the notes and introductory materials, and the print is good and the quality high. Actually, when I bought them (from Amazon) they were a fair bit more expensive, but even then I thought they were cheap. And in the end, I've had to buy the digital edition with Accordance Bible software as well, for various reasons, but I still constantly use these for extended reading.
If you're like me, you can only be grateful for the decades of work that has gone into these volumes, and the publisher who has made them available so cheaply but with as little compromise as possible.

Savages - Extended Edition [DVD]
Savages - Extended Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Blake Lively
Offered by DVD Overstocks

2.0 out of 5 stars No point, no-one to like, no discernible plot..., 6 Dec. 2014
I like Oliver Stone films generally, and I was excited to see this one, but this is a real mess. I gave it 2 stars because it could have been worse. It had no interesting characters, no-one to care about at all, no real plot or story - just a 'situation', and the ending didn't really make any sense - in fact, it was a total mess. The acting was enough for the one-dimensional characters, but that's it. I thought that the film might be a brutal warning against the allure of drug trade - easy money, sex, power, etc - but it didn't even go there. To be honest, I don't really know what it was about. A film by Oliver Stone with Benicio Del Toro, Selma Hayek and John Travolta about drug cartels sounds really promising, but this fails deliver on any point. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Stone was rewriting this as he was shooting it. Who knows. Stone can do better, hopefully.

Once More Round The Sun
Once More Round The Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars I was worried..., 23 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
I have to say that I was worried about this album. The singles did not help allay my worries, but as soon as they started streaming it on iTunes a few days ago, I gave it a listen through and was delighted at how good it was. I gave it a few more listens, and as I write this now it's blaring away at high volume. It's really, really good. Even the singles sound much better and make more sense in the context of the album. There are some truly awesome moments too, that almost make my hair stand on end. I really love 'Asleep in the Deep', though I haven't noticed anyone else single this out as a favourite track. I love the chorus on that one. I found 'The Motherload' too catchy at first, but it's depth and power is really growing on me. 'Tread Lightly' is a superb opening song and really draws you into the album. Another standout is 'Halloween'.

So, I've probably only listened to the album 5-6 times, but instead of getting familiar, it's revealing more and more intricacy and layers, and that is a thrilling sign of quality and longevity. I have to say that for some reason I am surprised at how good it is...it is so great that there is a band out there like this still putting out music of this quality, complexity, thoughtfulness, and best of all, you can tell from their videos and interviews that they really like each other and just love playing together.

I'm a very happy Mastodon (and music) fan! I got very heavily into Meshuggah whilst waiting for this album to appear, and I started to get worried that now anything Mastodon put out wouldn't be as engaging and powerful as what I was now accustomed to, but I am delighted to proved wrong. Long may Mastodon continue!

Elite Squad : The Enemy Within [DVD]
Elite Squad : The Enemy Within [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wagner Moura
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE these damn films!!!, 9 April 2014
Something put me off watching the prequel to this film, and I can't remember what it was because I was fairly interested in it. Years later I saw it on LoveFilm and was blown away. Then I got this one and it is just as good, if not better.

I don't know if there are any plans to make more. I really hope there is another one...

Powerful, visceral, gritty, complex, mature and considered, with a fantastic lead in Wagner Moura as the compelling Roberto Nascimento.

These are intelligent films with a punch.

ObZen
ObZen

5.0 out of 5 stars Mastodon brought me here...they may make your other music boring after a while..., 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: ObZen (MP3 Download)
I've been waiting very impatiently for Mastodon's new album, due out very soon, and I was always getting recommendations for Meshuggah, a band I've heard of for a long time but have paid no attention to. So I decided to see which album was worth sampling and found myself bewildered by reviews on here. They have some serious, opinionated fans. They were divided over whether Catch 33 or Nothing was the best, but then when you looked at reviews for those albums, they were divided over whether earlier albums like Chaosphere or Destroy Erase Improve were the best. And if you read the reviews for the latest ones, ObZen and Koloss, you got a lot of grumbling about how they weren't as good as...Catch 33, etc, etc.
So I listened to the samples and the production sound for ObZen sounded best, and the bass drums on BLEED sounded thrilling. So I started there. I don't really have a big review, despite the foregoing. I like em. They demand patience. They agitate me and demand my concentration. They are definitely not background music that you can tune in and out of. They have made a lot of my previously enjoyed music boring. Mastodon had that effect too, but this even more so. They have also made some of it better too, some things I had not appreciated as much as I do now.
Anyway, I am still getting to know this album, and since then have downloaded Catch 33 and Koloss, both of which are very good. Koloss is more like ObZen. Catch 33 is a different...I listen to that quite a lot.
So if you're like me a few weeks ago and don't know where the hell to start, I don't know what to recommend to you. Maybe ObZen or Catch 33. The production on ObZen is phenomenal. Catch 33 is more hypnotic and more of a 'journey'. ObZen is an album of songs.
You can listen to the most of the full albums on YouTube.
I am pleased I know this band now, or at least am getting to know them.

I initially gave this four stars but I've had to upgrade it to five. This is now my favourite Meshuggah album (I own them all now) and one of my favourite albums generally. To me, this is a flawless album and I love the clear production which really brings out the fantastic tones. It is rare to have an album where you like every track, and this is one of them. My favourite tracks are Combustion, Bleed, Lethargica, Pineal Glad Optics and Dancers to a Discordant System. But they are all very good.
I mentioned in the original portion of my review that I also had Catch 33. This is one of their very best, and is an extraordinary record. Koloss is good, but the production suffers from over-compression. A real shame, especially as it follows the beautiful production of ObZen. All the other albums are certainly worth checking out, and I have to say that it was when I started listening to Nothing that I finally began to 'understand' Meshuggah.
As for the 'agitation' I used to feel listening to these complicated pieces, that has faded away with familiarity and each album becomes easier and more enjoyable to listen to and learn. I would expect that fans of Metallica and Tool might like this band...they were heavily influenced by Metallica (they sound exactly like them on their first album) and I believe they were an influence to Tool...anyway, this is my favourite album of one of my new favourite bands. If you are contemplating getting into them, enjoy the journey!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5