Profile for KATN > Reviews

Once More Round The Sun
Once More Round The Sun
Price: 7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars I was worried..., 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Once More Round The Sun (Audio CD)
I have to say that I was worried about this album. The singles did not help allay my worries, but as soon as they started streaming it on iTunes a few days ago, I gave it a listen through and was delighted at how good it was. I gave it a few more listens, and as I write this now it's blaring away at high volume. It's really, really good. Even the singles sound much better and make more sense in the context of the album. There are some truly awesome moments too, that almost make my hair stand on end. I really love 'Asleep in the Deep', though I haven't noticed anyone else single this out as a favourite track. I love the chorus on that one. I found 'The Motherload' too catchy at first, but it's depth and power is really growing on me. 'Tread Lightly' is a superb opening song and really draws you into the album. Another standout is 'Halloween'.

So, I've probably only listened to the album 5-6 times, but instead of getting familiar, it's revealing more and more intricacy and layers, and that is a thrilling sign of quality and longevity. I have to say that for some reason I am surprised at how good it is...it is so great that there is a band out there like this still putting out music of this quality, complexity, thoughtfulness, and best of all, you can tell from their videos and interviews that they really like each other and just love playing together.

I'm a very happy Mastodon (and music) fan! I got very heavily into Meshuggah whilst waiting for this album to appear, and I started to get worried that now anything Mastodon put out wouldn't be as engaging and powerful as what I was now accustomed to, but I am delighted to proved wrong. Long may Mastodon continue!

Elite Squad : The Enemy Within [DVD]
Elite Squad : The Enemy Within [DVD]
Dvd ~ Wagner Moura
Offered by b68solutions
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE these damn films!!!, 9 April 2014
Something put me off watching the prequel to this film, and I can't remember what it was because I was fairly interested in it. Years later I saw it on LoveFilm and was blown away. Then I got this one and it is just as good, if not better.

I don't know if there are any plans to make more. I really hope there is another one...

Powerful, visceral, gritty, complex, mature and considered, with a fantastic lead in Wagner Moura as the compelling Roberto Nascimento.

These are intelligent films with a punch.

ObZen
ObZen
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Mastodon brought me here...they may make your other music boring after a while..., 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: ObZen (MP3 Download)
I've been waiting very impatiently for Mastodon's new album, due out very soon, and I was always getting recommendations for Meshuggah, a band I've heard of for a long time but have paid no attention to. So I decided to see which album was worth sampling and found myself bewildered by reviews on here. They have some serious, opinionated fans. They were divided over whether Catch 33 or Nothing was the best, but then when you looked at reviews for those albums, they were divided over whether earlier albums like Chaosphere or Destroy Erase Improve were the best. And if you read the reviews for the latest ones, ObZen and Koloss, you got a lot of grumbling about how they weren't as good as...Catch 33, etc, etc.
So I listened to the samples and the production sound for ObZen sounded best, and the bass drums on BLEED sounded thrilling. So I started there. I don't really have a big review, despite the foregoing. I like em. They demand patience. They agitate me and demand my concentration. They are definitely not background music that you can tune in and out of. They have made a lot of my previously enjoyed music boring. Mastodon had that effect too, but this even more so. They have also made some of it better too, some things I had not appreciated as much as I do now.
Anyway, I am still getting to know this album, and since then have downloaded Catch 33 and Koloss, both of which are very good. Koloss is more like ObZen. Catch 33 is a different...I listen to that quite a lot.
So if you're like me a few weeks ago and don't know where the hell to start, I don't know what to recommend to you. Maybe ObZen or Catch 33. The production on ObZen is phenomenal. Catch 33 is more hypnotic and more of a 'journey'. ObZen is an album of songs.
You can listen to the most of the full albums on YouTube.
I am pleased I know this band now, or at least am getting to know them.

Kinivo ZX100 Mini Portable Speaker with Rechargeable Battery and Enhanced Bass Resonator
Offered by BlueRigger LLC
Price: 32.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good not Great, 6 Feb 2014
I really like this thing. When I got it it was a tenner, and I think that is about the right price, if a little cheap maybe.

I use it for when I'm washing up and for when iPlayer isn't loud enough.

My wife has a MusicalAngel which is more than double the price of this thing, but is certainly better.

This thing has a decent sound and goes fairly loud.

It is compact when closed up, very light, feels sturdy and well made, can be daisy-chained to more units (which I think would sound good). It is also has a nice blue light, which I am a sucker for.

Also, the battery life seems to be very good.

For 10 and for the things I use it for (and it looks very good), this is great. If you're willing to spend more (but not a great deal more), then definitely check out the MusicAngel - a better sound and even better blue light!

Wall Mounted pull up chin up bar Rock solid frame holds up to 200Kg
Wall Mounted pull up chin up bar Rock solid frame holds up to 200Kg
Offered by RJH Product Development
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best design, 29 Jan 2014
I weigh between somewhere between 106-108kg. Different chin-ups bars promised they could hold up to 300kg in weight, but didn't look like it, and I was reassured both the unique design of this thing and the more moderate claims of 200kg weight to hold. That made it sound like someone knew what they were talking about. And let's face it, no-one who weighes 200kg will be able to hang there let alone pull themselves up. I can barely do any myself and badly need to drop a few kilos.

So - I'm pleased with it regardless of my current lack of ability. You can watch a lot of videos on YouTube of people falling down with those door frame ones. This thing put into brick is there for life, or so it feels.

The only niggle is that it doesn't have any padded grips. This means callouses, unless you have weight-lifting gloves. I suppose padded grips would rot in the rain though. Not a big deal, and if you're the kind of person who is banging out thousands of reps on this thing callouses are a mark of glory anyway...

Death Be Not Proud (The Secret of the Journal)
Death Be Not Proud (The Secret of the Journal)
by C. F. Dunn
Price: 7.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Onwards and Upwards, 8 Dec 2013
I can't really say too much about this book in terms of content, as I don't want to spoil it. Dunn, who left us at the end of the first novel wondering - "What now?!" continues to build scene after scene where you cannot genuinely predict where things are heading. The book begins slowly with Emma at home in England trying to pick up the pieces from the chaos she left behind in Maine, but, after making some careful steps with the development of certain important characters - mainly her parents - one surprise sets off a chain of intriguing developments that doesn't let up until the end, where, of course, we are left with another cliffhanger of sorts. A lot of questions raised in the last instalment are answered in this one, and show that Dunn has clearly thought out her story with a complexity that feels authentic, and sets the stage for a whole range of dramatic possibilities for the sequel(s?). There is no particular certainty over the question of whether there will be a happy ending for Emma. One suspects not, or at least not without some scars from Dunn's instinct for tragedy and ambivalence - which makes for all the more satisfying drama!

Crack the Skye
Crack the Skye
Price: 5.20

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Crack the Skye (Audio CD)
This is a flawless album. Really.

I have all their other albums, including the early stuff, but this is the shining gem. Certainly Leviathan is great and Blood Mountain is also very impressive, and so on, but this is a masterpiece I doubt they will surpass - but who knows? They are a pretty extraordinary band.

Winter Kills
Winter Kills
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 7.76

3.0 out of 5 stars Ach, it's OK..., 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: Winter Kills (Audio CD)
I don't know what is missing in this album but whatever it is, it started to disappear with Beast. The production is excellent, the music is very, very tight - drumming monstrous as always, and maybe better than ever - but it lacks...tunes? Groove? It's weird, because it seems like such a well executed blast of music, but somehow it's quite flat and even boring. Little stands out. I'm listening to it repeatedly, trying to find any gems, and there isn't much. Hopefully I'll get into it eventually (Tripping Over Tombstones has potential).

This is a band that I have automatically bought whatever they released without listening to it first. After the disappointment with Beast I did listening to samples of this a few times, and I went ahead and bought it cautiously. But I think I may not get the next one, unless I get really convinced it's worth it. It can be difficult to find reviews you can trust, as there are always with any band the (I suspect) 12-14 year old kids writing "5 stars! This album is brilliant end to end best yet great tracks can't fault it worth every penny buy it now you won't regret it [enter band name] keeps getting better and better [enter band name again] forever!!" I roll my eyes when I read these reviews, but to be honest I envy them and their unrelenting ability to love bands like this who have sadly started to slide...

Thinsulate Knitted Beanie Hat - Black - One Size
Thinsulate Knitted Beanie Hat - Black - One Size
Offered by stansbargains
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Bargain!, 30 April 2013
I lost my hat and they sold this one at my local shop for 15! I got it off here for 2 something delivered! I'd say the fit was cosy to point of being tight, but it has relaxed now and feels very snug. Very happy with this, and so damn cheap.

Red Cafetiere / Coffee Press Cozy / Coat - 8 Cup
Red Cafetiere / Coffee Press Cozy / Coat - 8 Cup
Offered by UK Cook Shop
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed., 30 April 2013
It's smart, fits very well, is nice and thin, and is well designed. The coffee stays hot long enough to get through the whole cafetiere without microwaving it. Not sure why it's 8 or so, but maybe that's the material.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4