Profile for S. O'SHEA > Reviews

The Good Cook
by Simon Hopkinson
Price: 17.00

5.0 out of 5 stars In the words of Simon...'LOVELY'!, 6 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Good Cook (Hardcover)
I am rarely prompted to write a review of any book I've read, whether it's fiction or non-fiction, but I really love this book. I have a lot of cookery books and many of them lie dormant on the shelves, some have one or two favourite recipes which I come back to again and again and just one or two are spattered with love and constant use. Simon Hopkinson's The Good Cook, whilst still fairly pristine, is one of the latter. I have already made several of the recipes: Piedmontese Peppers; beurre blanc; the parpadelle with porcini; panzanella; rhubarb crumble with Jersey cream and tandoori chicken. (In fact three of these have been made twice now!) Without exception they have been absolutely delicious and I am keen to try many of the other recipes in the book. The rice pudding looks fantastic...and how wonderful to see it pure and unadulterated just as my grandmother made it with its nutmeg skin! In the TV programme Simon comes across as someone whose enthusiasm for eating and cooking is infectious...you feel as if you could have him round for a cup of tea while you make something tasty together. (Although I am not quite such a perfectionist, I suspect!) Buy this book if you love cooking for people...you won't regret it...and neither will they!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2011 4:24 PM BST

Bake
Bake
by Rachel Allen
Price: 4.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 13 May 2009
This review is from: Bake (Hardcover)
I have made the blueberry cheesecake twice...though once with raspberries; the fairy cakes with a very interesting cooked icing; the soda bread and the date and walnut bars to date and everything has turned out very well. The recipes are really easy to follow and nothing has loads of ingredients which helps. I do a lot of baking and would heartily recommend this book. The writing doesn't have the wit of Nigella, but the recipes are good.

Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
Jamie's Ministry of Food: Anyone Can Learn to Cook in 24 Hours
by Jamie Oliver
Price: 13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 19 Oct 2008
Like most of the other reviewers here I think this is a great book for everyone. Although it is aimed at people who are reluctant cooks don't let it put you off if you are more experienced. There are plenty of recipes here for you, too. I enjoy cooking and was worried it would be too basic for me, but far from it! Since receiving it on Thursday I have made the smoked mackerel pate and the chicken wrapped in poshy crispy ham, which were quick, easy and delicious. What I particularly like is the way Jamie uses a base, say for stews, rice or porridge and then gives you four alternatives when you have mastered the basics, so there is A LOT of recipes in here. For beginners there are loads of photographs to show you how things should look at each stage of the recipe. I would highly recommend this to anyone. Brilliant!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2010 9:13 AM GMT

Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking
Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking
by Delia Smith
Price: 13.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 21 Mar 2008
I am a real Delia fan, having been brought up to watch her on regional TV way back when. I have most of her books and there is nothing to beat The Complete Cookery book if you want to know something really basic.

So...I bought this on the basis of my previous experience and to be honest I was disappointed. I enjoy cooking for the most part and can certainly fry up a bit of mince with herbs and spices or peel and mash some potatoes at the very least! The recipes themselves are fine, but I prefer to source fresh ingredients for the most part rather than buy things to sling in the freezer or store cupboard, not that I am averse to tinned tomatoes or frozen peas!

However, I have given my copy to a friend who doesn't really cook and completely lacks confidence in the kitchen. She LOVES it! It is a perfect book for her, because it helps her to learn the basic skills of cooking, without overwhelming her with everything at once. She can still use 'convenience' products, but combine them with fresh ingredients to make something really tasty and nutritious.

In short, if you are already a confident person in the kitchen this book is not for you. Buy something like Nigella Express or Gordon Ramsey's Fast Food instead. BUT...if you are a novice cook who is terrified of the kitchen it will be a great buy.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 27, 2008 7:11 PM BST

Indian Food Made Easy
Indian Food Made Easy
by Anjum Anand
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent update to an old favourite!, 24 Sep 2007
This review is from: Indian Food Made Easy (Paperback)
I have a very old dog-eared copy of a BBC Madhur Jaffrey cookery book from years ago which I often use, but Anjum Anand's new book is an excellent modern day version, with more attention to eating healthily. There is less oil, for example, in most of her recipes.
The recipes themselves are well laid out, easy to follow and beautifully photographed, so you can appreciate what the end result should look like.
So far I have made the bengal gram curry, the avial, the chicken wraps, naan bread and a lamb curry and everything has been easy and delicious. We also drrank the strawberry lassi in the summer, which I much preferred to a smoothie.
I am lucky to live near Indian grocers, but there is a lot of information about how to buy unusual items over the internet and more details about these ingredients.
If you love Indian food and enjoy cooking I can thoroughly recommend this book!