Profile for andy_abel > Reviews

Content by andy_abel

"andy_abel"

Daniel Powter (U.S. Release)
Daniel Powter (U.S. Release)
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Guilty pleasure, 27 Aug. 2005
I didn't want to like this album. Mr Powter looks like a bit of a pratt on the front cover, and structurally the entire album is bog-standard, predicatble, formulaic pop. For these reasons it should be a non-starter, but something keeps you coming back. Perhaps it's the insane catchiness of the melodies, or maybe just the captivating voice. I feel like I shouldn't like it, but I do. Original, no, but worth a listen, yes.

Whatever and Ever Amen
Whatever and Ever Amen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous!, 8 July 2003
This review is from: Whatever and Ever Amen (Audio CD)
I bought this after having thoroughly enjoyed the debut album. Whatever And Ever Amen is overall more mature sounding, although I don't quite enjoy it as much as their previous effort. Musically, the album is astounding, but more mellow and reserved than their self-titled album. It has it's upbeat moments in the awesome "One Angry Dwarf..." and the catchy "Kate". However, I was a fan of the funky, happy, boppy pop majesty of the first album, so this album was slightly disappointing in that respect. The songs on this album are still fantastic, just not what I was expecting

Cheer Up!
Cheer Up!

4.0 out of 5 stars different, but good, 4 July 2003
This review is from: Cheer Up! (Audio CD)
If you're a fan of RBF's earlier ska-punk, this may come as a slight surprise to you. Overall the album is more guitar-based, with the brass playing less of a part than you're maybe used to. This doesn't make it bad though, it's just a bit different. In general The Fish seem to have moved slightly away from ska-punk and more towards guitar-based pop/rock songs with a bit of trumpet thrown in.
Nevertheless, the songs are very catchy and RBF keep their cheeky frat-boy humour. Well worth a listen, but if it's a ska-punk CD you're after, try their previous three albums (Everything Sucks, Turn The Radio Off, Why Do They Rock So Hard), or just get Favourite Noise as it's their 'best of' compilation.

Ben Folds Five
Ben Folds Five
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily the best album in my collection, 3 July 2003
This review is from: Ben Folds Five (Audio CD)
A friend of mind recommended BFF, so I decided to start with the original album. That was quite possibly the best music buy I've ever made. The gimmick to this album is that not one of the 12 tracks contain an electric guitar, and I can honestly say I don't miss it one bit! The music is so tight and some licks really do leave you breathless. Every song is a winner in it's own right. From the stunning Philosophy (complete with funked-up Gershwin ending) to the majestic Video, this album never fails to impress.

The Vertigo Of Bliss
The Vertigo Of Bliss

4.0 out of 5 stars superb, 3 July 2003
This review is from: The Vertigo Of Bliss (Audio CD)
When I met the bassist at a gig he told me the album would be out in December. Six months later it finally arrived, and it was certainly worth the wait. The original Biffy album has many stand-out tracks (27, 57, justboy...etc), whereas The Vertigo Of Bliss is more of an overall masterpiece. There are a number of top tunes, but not many of them would survive as singles. You need to hear them all together to appreciate the work of art that this album is.
Much of the album continues in the familiar Biffy vein, with unpredictable rhythms and ever-changing moods. However, we see another side of Biffy in 'Diary Of Always', incorporating sampled drums and lush electronica.
Overall, a great album, but get Blackened Sky first to get the Biffy feel.

Late Show
Late Show

4.0 out of 5 stars stunning!, 3 July 2003
This review is from: Late Show (Audio CD)
I bought this album after hearing a track on Radio 2 one evening. I can't remember which song it was, but it doesn't matter - all the songs on this album are great. If you like jazz, you'll love this. And if you don't like jazz, I'm sure you'll be able to appreciate the sheer talent of this band. Thumbs up.

Ideas Above Our Station
Ideas Above Our Station
Offered by Rikdev Media

1.0 out of 5 stars a great disappointment, 20 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Ideas Above Our Station (Audio CD)
I am surprised to see so many good reviews of this record. I have to say this album is a great let-down. I can honestly say I only enjoy two tracks: "Falter" and "Silver". The rest is over-hyped rubbish that is certainly nothing new to the scene. I would hesitate to classify it as proper full-on British rock as I have seen it described. It's more like cunningly disguised punk.
A few good moments, but on the whole this is boring and repetitive. You may have trouble distinguishing between the songs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2010 1:30 PM BST

Blackened Sky
Blackened Sky
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars a top record, 19 Jun. 2003
This review is from: Blackened Sky (Audio CD)
I bought this record on impulse and have never looked back. Full-on rock at heart, The Biff incorporate incredibly original and intelligent nuances to this fine collection of songs. Mellow, majestic clean guitars and heartfelt vocals can switch to rip-roaring guitars and agressive screams in a split second. It shouldn't work but it does. Time signatures frequently change, but it all hangs together with an incredible tightness.
Blackened Sky breaks the mould of conventional underground rock. Tracks to look out for: "joy.discovery.invention", "27", "justboy", "57", "christopher's river"