Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop All Amazon Fashion Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Profile for Andrea Zuvich > Reviews

Content by Andrea Zuvich

Andrea Zuvich "17th Century Lady" (England, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
In the Footsteps of the Six Wives of Henry VIII: The visitor's companion to the palaces, castles & houses associated with Henry VIII's iconic queens
by Sarah Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and informative, 18 Mar. 2016
I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, and I'm very pleased to say I loved it. The book takes us on a journey to each of the places (castles, houses, palaces, etc) most associated with Henry VIII's six wives: Katherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard and Katherine Parr.

Although I normally don't read Tudor history, this book satiated my appetite for Early Modern History very nicely indeed. I enjoyed the beautifully-made diagrams of important dates associated with the various properties such as the well-known Whitehall Palace and Hampton Court Palace, but also the lesser-known ones like Eltham Palace (the fate of which was described as falling into ruin during the seventeenth century). Under each property, there is a section which includes some very handy visitor information.

One of the greatest things about this book is the fact that it is only based on English sites, but takes us to Catherine of Aragon's Spain, Anne Boleyn's early years in France, and Anne of Cleves' Low Countries. I knew almost nothing about the latter but because of this book, I can happily say I know where she lived. The images selected for this book are fabulous and combined with the information really brings it all to life.

Sometimes a book with two authors doesn't work, but the combined talents of Sarah Morris and Natalie Grueninger are seamless and written in an approachable and informative manner. In short, this book is a fun and enlightening read - perfect for both ardent Tudor fans and general history buffs alike.

Charles I (Penguin Monarchs): An Abbreviated Life
Charles I (Penguin Monarchs): An Abbreviated Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath of fresh air, 17 Oct. 2015
Some history books simply regurgitate what everyone else says, but others make you see things from a completely different perspective. This book falls into the latter category and it made me think about the factors which led to the English Civil Wars in a whole new light. It's not the biggest, most in-depth book about Charles I out there, but in my opinion, it certainly ranks among the best. Kishlanksy provided an extremely entertaining, enlightening analysis of these factors and I look forward to reading his other books, although we'll sadly be denied any more from him in the future. What a truly excellent historian, what a great book.

Effie Gray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Effie Gray (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cantelon's best album yet, 17 Oct. 2015
I first heard of Paul Cantelon when he composed the music for The Other Boleyn Girl. That album was very good (especially the track TOBG Finale), but the rest weren't as good. This soundtrack for Effie Gray, however, is simply superb. I loved every single track and I sincerely believe this is Cantelon's best album yet. This is simply gorgeous.

Effie Gray
Effie Gray

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, poignant film, 15 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Effie Gray (Amazon Video)
This film was beautiful and moving. I've always loved Pre-Raphaelites, and I remember reading about this sad and odd relationship between Ruskin and Effie. The scenes in Venice and Scotland were gorgeous, and the soundtrack by Paul Cantelon fit perfectly to the story. My only criticism is that I wish it went into Effie's relationship with Millais more. A stunning film.

Maison Close Season 1 (English Subtitled)
Maison Close Season 1 (English Subtitled)

5.0 out of 5 stars An underrated gem of drama, 14 Oct. 2015
I just finished watching Season 1 of Maison Close and I have to say, I really enjoyed it. There is a lot of sex, but as it's set in a brothel, this is entirely appropriate! All characters are multi-dimensional and the plot was intriguing. Seeing as I had never heard of this series before stumbling upon it here on Amazon, I think it's a pity that such a well-made, well-acted programme slipped through the net. For those who don't like subtitles (which is a shame, because they're are great films out there), be warned for this is subtitled as it's in French. Fabulous costumes, and stellar performances from all actors.

The Georgians in 100 Facts
The Georgians in 100 Facts

5.0 out of 5 stars I learned a lot!, 5 Oct. 2015
The Georgians aren't my cup of tea normally, and so I knew relatively little about them until I read this charming book. Mr Rendell does a fine job of relating interesting facts about the period into concise, accessible entries. I especially loved these facts, "Men were peacocks – from Macaronis to Dandies and Exquisites", "Handel gave us Zadok, Water Music and The Messiah", and "A vicar discovered aspirin 3000 years after the Greeks forgot it". I'm a huge fan of ketchup, so I was surprised to learn that it wasn't always red! I also didn't know anything about Enclosure Acts, which Rendell capably enlightens the readers about in the section entitled, "‘Get off my land’ – the Enclosure Acts drove the rural poor into towns." This fact book is the perfect size to carry in my handbag and I'm thinking about buying a few more copies to give to friends at Christmas. I loved it!

Spirit of the Highway
Spirit of the Highway

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating tale!, 30 Sept. 2015
I received this copy of Deborah Swift's new book in exchange for an honest review. I first came across Swift's work (The Lady's Slipper) when I was browsing in Victoria Station, London, a few years ago. I was happily surprised to find a traditionally published book set in the seventeenth century. Deborah is now the author of five novels - again, all set in the 17th century! I must admit that although I have bought all of these books, this is the first one I've read (and since this book was so interesting, I shall have to find the time to read all the others!).HighwaySwift2

Spirit of the Highway marks Book Two in the Highway Trilogy that Swift has written for Endeavour Press. I haven't read the first novel in this series, but was able to get to know all the characters well since this book can also be read as a stand-alone.

The tale begins and ends with some paranormal activity, and we follow our narrator, the hot-blooded Ralph Chaplin, from the Battle of Worcester to his homecoming at Markyate Manor. There, Ralph is reunited with his family and Lady Katherine Fanshawe, the married young woman with whom he is in love. Theirs is a touching story of people divided by class but united by shared beliefs. Ralph is an idealistic supporter of Parliament, and Kate is married to a Royalist. They both wish to change the country and adopt the ideals set forth by Gerrard Winstanley and the Diggers Movement, but these aims are not practical. Kate, Ralph, and members of Ralph's family - notably Abi - have to deal with the consequences of so long and terrible a war.

Unfortunately, the horrors of war pursue Ralph, not only when he learns about a dreadful family secret, but in the form of a Cavalier out for vengeance. Some characters are simply dreadful - I didn't like Elizabeth at all, and this dislike is a testament to Swift's ability to bring life to her characters in only a few pages.

The ending, although tragic, made me eager to learn about the rest of the story, which Swift states in the Author's Note will finish in 2016 when the final story in the trilogy is released. In this same Note, Swift succinctly summarises what the English Civil Wars were and their significance. She also explains that some of the characters were real and explained who the Diggers were. I think this was a very well-written, interesting, story and I look forward to reading the other two as soon as possible!

SCL rating: 4.5/5 (I wished there were more scenes between Kate and Ralph because I was captivated by their romance!)

A Little Chaos [DVD] [2014] [2015]
A Little Chaos [DVD] [2014] [2015]
Dvd ~ Kate Winslet

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, gentle period drama, 28 Sept. 2015
I finally had the chance to see this film yesterday and I loved every single minute of it. In fact, I was sad when it ended because I loved it so much. I think it was beautifully directed and acted. The sensitive, gentle story follows Sabine - a woman who has had a traumatic experience and who survives by being employed for her whimsical garden style. She adds a little chaos to the structured, formal Baroque designs favoured by top gardener Andre Le Notre. Having previously seen Schoenaerts as a total thug in another movie recently, I was very impressed by his total transformation into the gentle Le Notre. The chemistry between Schoenaerts and Winslet was sensitive and beautiful. Helen McCrory's character was decidedly dislikeable, and it was a treat to see Rupert Penry-Jones in a periwig! If you like super fast-paced, action fests with lots of sex and superficial storylines, this isn't for you. If you've been raised on Merchant Ivory films, love gentle and beautifully-made films with heart, this is for you.

Live Free, Live True
Live Free, Live True

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable series, 27 Sept. 2015
I really enjoyed Ripper Street. I think Season 3 ended really well. Great acting, interesting plot. Good stuff! Thanks Amazon for bringing us a Season 3!

A Cloak of Zeal
A Cloak of Zeal

5.0 out of 5 stars A puritan you can root for, 14 Jun. 2015
This review is from: A Cloak of Zeal (Kindle Edition)
I never thought I'd end up liking a Parliamentarian character, let alone a Puritan one, but thanks to Logue's engrossing characterisation and writing style, I now am. I'm looking forward to reading more of Thankful Russell's adventures. This is a short story, but very entertaining. The English Civil War period is all too often overlooked, and yet it is an incredibly interesting time period to read about. I enjoyed this story and it whetted my appetite for more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5