Profile for Jason > Reviews

Jason

Draper DIY Series 16661 3-Piece Wood Chisel Set
Draper DIY Series 16661 3-Piece Wood Chisel Set

2.0 out of 5 stars Handles not robust enough - Not recommended., 28 Dec. 2014
Cheap but not so cheerful chisels - almost single use and therefore not brilliant value actually. Perhaps I was unfortunate but the 2nd time I used these - to chisel out a fairly deep notch in some pine - the plastic handle on one of the chisels shattered into pieces. Not overly impressed and would definitely look to buy higher quality tools going forward; buying these was false economy.

More Mile California Compression Socks Black
More Mile California Compression Socks Black
Offered by Active Human Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Why pay more?, 21 Jan. 2014
I am a keen runner - 50km per week - and have suffered from tight achilles tendons and sore calf muscles for quite a while. I wanted to get some compression socks to help with my training and the recovery afterwards but given I only run for fun and to keep fit - i.e. not competitively - I didn't want to spend a fortune. I saw these and at £9.45 for 3 pairs (+ £2.50 p&p), it was a no-brainer to give them a try. They arrived swiftly and have done the job very well. I am a UK size 9 and ordered the 8.5-10.5 sizes - they cover my whole lower leg (to just below my knee), fit tightly and don't move at all whilst running. They are fitted for the left and right feet so tick all the boxes I've seen on more expensive products.

I'm sure that there are better brands out there but better products? I'm not sure as they are only socks after all and they do the job perfectly.

Recommended.

The First 20 Hours: How to Learn Anything ... Fast
The First 20 Hours: How to Learn Anything ... Fast
by Josh Kaufman

2.0 out of 5 stars Catchy Title, Disappointing Book, 10 Dec. 2013
Like others, I was intrigued by the title - let's face it, who wouldn't want to be able to learn anything fast and be good at anything in 20 hours? It certainly beats spending 10,000 hours of deliberate practice to become an expert.

However, whilst I really liked Josh's earlier book "The Personal MBA" and would fully recommend that you do purchase/read this as it is really very good, this was a disappointment. The most value in the book was, as others have said, pretty much common sense although I did find it useful to have this articulated in an easy-to-read list form. Unfortunately, this was the limited to the first couple of chapters and probably should have been confined to a blog post or website article. The vast majority of the book was devoted to a series of case studies demonstrating how Josh put the theory into practice and whilst this was useful in parts (I found the section on consolidating a newly-acquired skill via sleep and thus scheduling practice at the end of the day to be helpful), most of the book was uninformative and bordering on the dull.

I really wanted to like this book given that the concept of becoming proficient in anything in 20 hours has to be appealing, and because I thought The Personal MBA was first class, but it was just impossible given the content. Put in this way, if I'd read this prior to discovering The Personal MBA, I wouldn't have bothered to read another book by this author. And given the quality of The Personal MBA (regardless of whether you agree with his basic premise in the book that you don't need to spend £000's on a business school MBA), this is a real shame, and a warning to others of how easily you can damage a good brand through poor content.

I'd recommend that you check out The Personal MBA instead!

The Personal MBA: A World-Class Business Education in a Single Volume
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2014 2:00 PM GMT

Eurosonic Plug in Cordless Door Chime (Pack of 2)
Eurosonic Plug in Cordless Door Chime (Pack of 2)
Offered by Accessories Arena

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect - Inexpensive and fit for purpose, 10 July 2013
I bought this to replace a more expensive wireless door chime that had given up the ghost after becoming increasingly unreliable. With a keen price, swift delivery it already ticked a few boxes before installation - after a straightforward installation it worked first time and has been 100% reliable ever since. I'd recommend it highly and if I need another such item, this will be the top of my list as I can't see any advantage of paying up for the more expensive items.

As They Slept (The comical tales of a London commuter)
As They Slept (The comical tales of a London commuter)

1.0 out of 5 stars Interesting idea, poor execution., 23 Dec. 2012
Like the other unfavourable review (as of 23rd December 2012) I bought this on the strength of the 5 star reviews, as well as because I also commute and thought it was an interesting idea. Sadly, I found it to be a pretty poor effort all told - neither funny nor insightful, just a poorly-written collection of sentences that added up to much less than what it could have been. Kudos to the author for having a go though rather than just having the idea and doing nothing about it.

It doesn't cost a lot in money terms but to paraphrase the genesis of the book's premise, reading this is a complete waste of your time.

Avoid. Or read it and just have low expectations if you're expecting Clarkson or Bryson. But that's just my opinion and as you're not me, you will undoubtedly have a different view.

FINALLY: THE GOLF SWING'S SIMPLE SECRET - A revolutionary method proved for the weekend golfer to significantly improve distance and accuracy from day one (1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Results say it all..., 30 Jun. 2011
Like many others, I've read widely on the subject of how to play better golf - CONSISTENTLY - and have always found things either to be too simple to make much difference or too complicated to be easily repeatable. Although the title appeared cheesy, I was convinced by the review written by the single figure handicapper - downloaded it at the end of April before a flight abroad and was actually disappointed that I'd finished it in about an hour - perhaps I was expecting War and Peace for my £3.51??!!

Once I'd realised that this was close to the most stupid way to rate a book, I took the principles of creating the connection with the upper arms and creating lag onto the course. I am a very long hitter but my accuracy has always been awful - the techniques I employed after reading the book have made my shots marginally longer (useful but not necessary) but have transformed my driving! From 4/14 fairways hit on an average round to almost hitting them all and no loss of distance - a total revelation! My golfing partners noticed the difference immediately and commented that I was swinging more smoothly and getting great results. I've recommended it to them and I wholeheartedly recommend this book to you.

It's short, to the point, with pretty straightforward language and thus easy to understand and take onto the course. I'm a natural sceptic but I'm totally convinced. For the price of a Pro v1 ball (ok a little more) it will be the best investment in your golfing game you will make.