Profile for David Spencer > Reviews

Content by David Spencer

David Spencer (London, England)

Dear Lumpy: Letters to a Disobedient Daughter
Dear Lumpy: Letters to a Disobedient Daughter
by Louise Mortimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Jan. 2015
This is English humour at its best!

PENTAGONAL POUND COIN HOLDER
PENTAGONAL POUND COIN HOLDER
Offered by Lambland ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coin holder!, 6 May 2014
I've had one of these since the early 1980's when the pound coin was introduced. It holds five one pound coins and in those days five pounds was worth rather more than it is now so it made sense to have something that would help prevent the coins falling out of your pocket. This is the third generation of these that I've had. The first broke into two pieces after about 15 years, the second I lost (empty!) after about 8 years and so we'll see how long this one lasts. The only main disadvantage is my phone is in a leather pouch in my pocket and the coin holder tends to stick to the leather so can be pulled out at the same time as the phone by accident. However, if it's full of coins this does not happen. I have often had curious remarks from others when I pull the coin holder out.

Fiskars General Purpose Left-handed Scissors, 21cm
Fiskars General Purpose Left-handed Scissors, 21cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good scissors, 28 April 2014
What can one say about scissors? They are robustly made and do the job of cutting - exactly what I am looking for. I will update my review in ten years to tell you whether or not they still perform well.

Kitchen Craft Egg Pricker
Kitchen Craft Egg Pricker
Offered by millstones

4.0 out of 5 stars Good egg pricker, 26 Aug. 2012
This egg pricker works fine. However you need a little practice to get the right amount of force needed to make the hole - too much force initially broke a couple of eggs. A light touch is better.

Ex-Pro Euro European Clamping fast on fast off - Converter Plug with power connections Black / 3amp - easily convert European 2pin mains lead circular type connections to UK standard plug.
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid continental to UK adaptor, 26 Aug. 2012
Works well! (what else can you write about an adaptor!?). . . but you have to write at least 20 words in order to get the review posted. I use it on the power supply for a USB hub for my Raspberry Pi.

PCSL Brand - PSU for Raspberry Pi ~ Power Supply Unit
PCSL Brand - PSU for Raspberry Pi ~ Power Supply Unit
Offered by PC Supplies Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, basic power supply, 26 Aug. 2012
This product works fine as my Raspberry Pi power source. I use a separate powered USB hub so the demand on the Raspberry Pi power supply is not too large. I also use this as a charger for a Kindle which also works well.

7dayshop Clip-On Double Headed LED Reading Light - Perfect for AMAZON KINDLE / TRADITIONAL BOOKS / LAPTOP USE / MAP READING / MUSIC STANDS ETC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful little light, 24 Sept. 2011
I read late at night in bed and the bedside light used to disturb my partner until I got one of these little lights. Easily clips onto a book without damaging it and provides a very bright, focussed and discrete light for reading. I'm now finding more uses for it including reading an awkwardly positioned electricity meter, fiddling around with small electrical components and anything that requires a bit more light.

Kitchen Craft Apple Corer & Wedger with Stainless Steel Blade
Kitchen Craft Apple Corer & Wedger with Stainless Steel Blade

5.0 out of 5 stars The sturdy apple cutter, 24 Sept. 2011
I saw a friend using an apple cutter a little like this and had to have one! This one is a sturdier version than her's and works brilliantly. If you are going to get an apple cutter I highly recommend this one.

Radar Days: Memoirs of a WAAF Radar Operator
Radar Days: Memoirs of a WAAF Radar Operator
by Gwen Arnold

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, 24 May 2010
I bought this book for my aging mother who was a radar operator in World War 2. She thoroughly enjoyed it and said on several occasions how similar Gwen Arnold's experiences were to her's. "Radar Days" apparently started life as notes made to tell future generations about Glen Arnold's experiences. Glen had found researching family history to be somewhat sterile, concentrating on births marriages and deaths but lacking basic detail of what people actually did in previous centuries.
I found the emphasis of the book to be too much (for my taste!) on personal details and not enough on being a radar operator.

Irrationality
Irrationality
by Stuart Sutherland

4.0 out of 5 stars An essential read for humans, 17 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Irrationality (Paperback)
For anyone who deals with human beings in their work or personal life (99.99% of people?)this book is a must. It helps to explain the complete irrationality of most of us and gives tantalising hints as to how we might address this in others. It is an easy to read book but with sufficient complexity to make it facinating.Irrationality