Profile for aristotle > Reviews

The Mcgarrigle Hour [DVD] [2009]
The Mcgarrigle Hour [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Kate & Anna Mcgarrigle

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Heaven, 5 Nov 2014
I've been a fan of (ie in love with) the Mcarrigle sisters for more years than I care to remember so finding this DVD was a real treat. It actually exceeded my expectations - FANTASTIC.
It even managed to convert me into a fan of Louden and Martha (still not sure about Rufus).
Draw the curtains, curl up on the sofa with your partner and a glass of wine (or whatever) and watch this DVD. Life will never get any better.
Other reviewers have gone into detail regarding the actual content, so I see no point in adding to their comments. The only thing left for me to say is 'Buy it and Enjoy'.

The Call of Agon: Book One of The Children of Telm
The Call of Agon: Book One of The Children of Telm

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time, 8 Oct 2014
I downloaded this book for two reasons - it was prominently displayed on the web page and it was free. However I only managed to get a third of the way through before I deleted it. The author doesn't seem to have an original thought in his head. The book is a mish mash of well known mythical themes dressed up in different characters - Robin Hood and King Arthur being the most obvious reference points (there is even a lady of the lake!) but a number of fairy tales and Celtic myths have also been plundered to pad out the plot. Even for free it is only worth two stars and that is being overly generous.

Brown Leather Look and Feel Upright DVD Unit ( Holds up to 26 DVDs)
Brown Leather Look and Feel Upright DVD Unit ( Holds up to 26 DVDs)
Offered by hibaba

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for, 8 Oct 2014
I have a number of CD units of this type, bought some years ago from a certain high street store and was delighted to find this matching unit for my DVD's. It is well made, more than sturdy enough to hold the DVD's and it looks good. The price is also very reasonable for the quality. What more could one ask?
I will certainly purchase another one when my collection of DVD's is large enough to warrant it.

Hot Tuna: 25 Years And Runnin' On [DVD] [2006]
Hot Tuna: 25 Years And Runnin' On [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Hot Tuna

3.0 out of 5 stars ... fan of Hot Tuna's accoustic music and so was delighted to find this DVD on Amazon, 10 Sep 2014
I am a fan of Hot Tuna's accoustic music and so was delighted to find this DVD on Amazon. However, I am rather disappointed with the quality. Even allowing for it's age, the picture quality is poor. It has clearly been edited on a computer (the dissolves and insets are evidence of this) from at least two separate gigs, and I would have thought the picture quality could have been improved at the same time. The whole thing appears to have been done on a shoestring and I have even considered that it may be an amateur bootleg.
Having said all that, the music itself is not too bad (a bit sloppy in places) even though poor old Jorma looks as though he has just been involved in a bar fight. Overall I am pleased that I bought it but would only recommend it to ardent fans.
Musically 4 stars, but only 2 stars for production, so averages out at 3.

It's So Hard To Tell Who's Going To Love You The Best [+DVD]
It's So Hard To Tell Who's Going To Love You The Best [+DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars A great loss to the music world, 7 Jun 2014
It' So Hard .... captures Karen at her best. Her voice is so full of depth and emotion it sends shivers down my spine. She could have been one of the world's greats if her lifestyle had not caught up with her. Much has been made of the similarity of her voice with that of Billie Holliday. There is some resemblance but there is also a good deal of difference. If you like true authentic blues/counry/ folk, buy this album. You wont be disappointed. The aditional DVD alone is worth the cost despite it's short length.

Cotton Eyed Joe
Cotton Eyed Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars Strictly for the devotee, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Cotton Eyed Joe (Audio CD)
Once in the mid 1970s I recorded a band in a crowded pub using one microphone plugged into a two track reel to reel. Cotton Eye Joe Appears to have been recorded in a similar fashion. It may be an authentic sound, but Hi Fi it is not. Even so her undoubted talent shines through, it is a shame the sound quality is so poor. If you are a fan of Karen Dalton, it is worth buying, but if you are new to her music give this one a miss. Of all her CDs I find the one that really captures her music withouy being over produced is It's So Hard To Know Who's Going To Love You The Best, which also has the benefit of an extra short DVD.

Celtic Woman: Songs From The Heart [DVD] [2010]
Celtic Woman: Songs From The Heart [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Celtic Woman

2.0 out of 5 stars All technique no feeling, 13 July 2013
If you are looking for true celtic music, leave this well alone. There is no doubt that they play and sing all the right notes, but there is absolutely no emotionial involvement with the songs. It is a glossy, over choreographed stage production and not a musical concert. This is what happens when middle class people try to do 'ethnic' music. If all you are interested in is a group of pretty girls backed by a bunch of classically trained musicians in a spectacular setting, then this is for you, but if you want true celtic music look elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2013 12:07 PM GMT

Pushin' Against a Stone
Pushin' Against a Stone

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Beautiful, 9 Jun 2013
This review is from: Pushin' Against a Stone (Audio CD)
Bought this after reading previous reviews in Amazon and two music mags. I'd never heard of her before so it was a gamble that really paid off. Her voice is a little disconcerting at first, but by the second track I was totally won over. A great mix of blues, country and jazz influences that blend together beautufully. My advice is ignore the few derogatory reviews and put faith in the overwhelming number of complimentary ones. Take a chance and you won't be disappointed. It is many years since I was this enthused about a piece of music. It is simply beautiful.

The Bridge School Concerts 25th Anniversary Edition [DVD] [2011]
The Bridge School Concerts 25th Anniversary Edition [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ The Bridge School Concerts

5.0 out of 5 stars Every home should have at least one copy, 24 April 2013
I bought this on recommendation from a friend, and was not disappointed. The two music DVD's are fantastic, even the artists I don't usually like. Billy Idol (not normally my cup of tea) is fantastic and is one of the few who really communicated with the kids. To have them all accoustic is a real treat. Shame Paul Mcartney used an electric bass while even Metallica felt able to be all 'unplugged'.
I agree with previous comments regarding the documentaries DVD - definitely a must see. It does the heart good to know there are such caring and compassionate people in the world.
If you are thinking of buying this 3 DVD package, I urge you to do so right now!

Toshiba 26DL933B 26-inch Widescreen HD Ready LED TV with Freeview and Built-in DVD Player (New for 2012)

3.0 out of 5 stars rather disappointing, 12 Feb 2013
Let me start by saying that everything works ok. However, the picture quality (arguably the most important aspect of a TV) leaves a lot to be desired. The colour is dull and flat and, no matter how much I adjust the controls, lacks definition. The power save mode makes matters even worse, giving the appearance of looking through the window on a grey misty day. Still I guess you get what you pay for, and for the price it aint too bad. Just don't expect bright lively colours and high definition!

Page: 1 | 2