Profile for bodhi > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
GUND Pusheen Medium
GUND Pusheen Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 April 2016
This review is from: GUND Pusheen Medium (Toy)
Aww yiss.

Sony KDL-50W755C 50 inch Smart Full HD TV - Black
Sony KDL-50W755C 50 inch Smart Full HD TV - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, great interface, great build quality., 13 Aug. 2015
I spent weeks reading reviews, watching reviews, reading forums, walking in and out of stores to look at models I had seen before finally biting the bullet and buying this. It was the one TV that I kept coming back to, and I am extremely pleased with the decision.

Picture quality, the sharpness of the image is great. The colour reproduction is great. The detail in blacks is great. It's been a massive step up from my old 2010 Samsung, which I had previously thought represented a good quality picture.

The border is impossibly thin, and the whole thing has a monolithic appearance, the brushed metal frame really gives it a premium look and feel. If you told me this was an Apple product, I would believe you. The unit is also incredibly thin. I was genuinely afraid I might snap it when removing it from the box, but don't let that put you off.

The menu and interface is very clean, clear, and most importantly smooth and responsive. I really cannot stand a TV that is sluggish. The remote also seems to work from lots of angles very well, although it is a bit plasticy. It also turns on very quickly, no long load times.

Initial set up was easy, but took a little time to download and install the update. I have fibre internet so I suspect the time was more installation than download. The TV will want to update when you take it out of the box, and you should. Just don't turn it off whilst the crossed out power plug and spinning blue arrows are going, it is doing something, I promise.

Some features, like USB recording and YouView are still not available at the time of review, but they are promised this summer. YouView can't come soon enough, as although the EPG (programme guide) is nice, it doesn't have a timer feature(!). Sony/Google do appear to be knocking out updates at a reasonable pace though.

GoogleCast and YouTube work well. YouTube playback seems smoother than it used to be from my old Chromecast. At times I thought I was getting 60FPS playback.

PS4 works very well. Make sure to turn on Game mode, from the Action Menu, and then tweak the colour settings to Neutral, as the picture did get slightly darker when I turned this mode on for the first time. Thankfully, picture settings are saved per source, so you don't need to go worry about degrading image quality on your TV or Blu-Ray player. Game mode brings the input lag down to approximately 36ms, instead of 100+, which is really important if you plan to play online, or twitch games on this thing.

One strange issue I have found, but only noticed in a silent room at night, was a faint hissing coming from the speakers at low volume while playing PS4. I only noticed it when idling on the main menu. Disabling ClearAudio+ fixed this for me. I also noticed a small patch of some very minor clouding (unevenness of illumination) when viewing some shades of very dark(almost black) screen in a dark room, this is due to the edge lighting that keeps the TV so slim. It's been a non-issue for me and hasn't detracted from my enjoyment, and is invisible in every other scenario I've thrown at it, but full disclosure and all.

So yeah, amazing TV, highly recommended to anyone, especially those on the fence who have spent too long reading the complaints of the AVFORUMS hardcore. Buy it, preferably the biggest one you can fit in your room.

UPDATE - 4 OCT 2015: Still waiting for Sony to implement the YouView functionality they promised for "Summer 2015", then September 29th 2015. A post form the first of October says "coming soon and in final stages". USB recording still on their to-do list as well.

Removing a star until it gets the update, but still very happy with the purchase.

UPDATE - 4 NOV 2015: YouView update dropped today. First impressions are that it works, but is a barebones implementation. Pausing live content doesn't seem to work, and the timer functionality only added a few weeks ago to the basic EPG is now absent again(!). There was one minor update a few weeks ago that finally added the timer function to the "vanilla" programme guide, but now YouView is working (and has in fact totally replaced the original TV guide and system, it's doesn't count for much). That previous update also added some minor performance and stability improvements that were welcome, as twice recently the TV stopped detecting the PS4 I have plugged into it until I held down the TV's power button to do a reboot. Each time it worked afterwards immediately.

Sony are still clearly ironing out bugs in the system, and for that reason I'm going to withhold the fifth star I originally gave it, even though I do love this TV, as this product clearly needed another 6 months in the oven. Sony decided to push it out early to compete with other manufacturers more mature TV OS systems. Still, well done to Sony for going with Android, rather than needlessly coming up with their own inevitably awful OS like they would've done in years gone by.

USB update is still on before the end of the year. Still appears it won't work with YouView according to the blurb, which begs the question "what is it for then?" seeing as YouView has totally replaced the original programme guide/system. Time will tell.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2016 2:02 PM BST

Sony BDPS390 SMART Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player
Sony BDPS390 SMART Wi-Fi Blu-ray Player

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with purchase, 23 Feb. 2013
Unit is small, silent, up-scales SD content well, is WiFi (supports iPlayer, YouTube, Netflix, LoveFilm, 4oD etc). Menu is XMB driven like Playstation 3 but doesn't come close to the smoothness of the PS3's menus due to a lack of horsepower. Also supports the Sony iOS remote app, which can be useful. Turning the unit on/off also turns my Samsung TV on or off too, which is handy, but your experience may differ.

The supplied apps aren't especially intuitive to navigate unfortunately, but are functional. You'll notice this most if you are coming from an iOS/Android world. Also, there are a lot of obscure on-demand content apps that clutter up some of the menus, and there doesn't seem to be a way to re-organise, remove, or 'favourite' your preferred ones. Other than that I cant fault it.

This was £90 when I bought it a month ago, currently £110. With that in mind, it may be worth considering another player in the price bracket this now occupies.

Seagate 750GB Momentus XT Serial 2.5 inch 7200 RPM 32MB 6GB/S SATA Solid State Hybrid Hard Drive
Offered by Extreme_Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasing performance, 26 Jan. 2013
I've been waiting for SSD's to come down to a reasonable price for a workable amount of storage forever. Although my desktop has space for more than one drive, I don't want to buy a small SSD and potentially be limited by the number of applications I can install on it due to space constraints, or find that I end up installing all my games on a mechanical drive anyway, again due to space. I had an old 250gb mechanical drive, and that was filling up fast, but I couldn't justify a 512gb SSD.

In the end I've bought this and I'm very happy. The drive is very quiet, I only occasionally hear it spin up, its got plenty of space obviously for me, and the performance is excellent. Leaps and bounds beyond a mechanical drive, as quick as an SSD to boot My i3 Ivy Bridge PC now boots as fast as my 2011 Quad-Core i7 Macbook Pro with a 128gb Crucial M4 SSD.

This drive will keep your OS boot files in the cache, so it will always boot fast no matter what other applications are put onto the 8GB of SLC Flash memory. The first time I opened an application it opened only marginally quicker than my old drive, but the next time I opened it it was much quicker, and the third time quicker still. The drive learns which files are being used most regularly and intelligently caches them to the Flash chips on the fly, so now my PC boots very quickly and all my commonly used apps load instantly as well. All this file management is done by the drive and is invisible to the OS or file system, so the drive just shows as a normal 750gb drive (700gb when formatted/partitioned for actual use in an OS).

StarTech.com 18in SATA to Right Angle SATA Serial ATA Cable - 18in SATA Cable - 18 SATA Cable - 18in angled SATA Cable
Offered by Digital Drives

4.0 out of 5 stars SATA has never been so sexy!, 26 Jan. 2013
Seriously though, its a SATA cable, right angled at one end. It does what it says it does, no fuss and no problems. Comes with dust covers for connector ends when not in use too. Its also red, 18 inches long, and has no retaining latch on either connector, so they 'pop' in to your ports and you don't require tiny thumbs to remove these from the board/device if every things closely packed together.

Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1600C9 XMS3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 Performance Desktop Memory Module

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality RAM, 26 Jan. 2013
Excellent value, nice looking heat sink, seems to slot into the RAM sockets much more smoothly than many other brands of RAM I have used, so quality control and tolerances seem to be high on Corsairs priority list.

Although it may be down to my motherboard, its worth knowing that when installed, these defaulted to 1333mhz, until I amended them up to the full 1600mhz my CPU and board supports. No problems with either of the two of these modules I have bought. Would buy from Corsair in the future.

Drive [DVD]
Drive [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ryan Gosling

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, great soundtrack, 26 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Drive [DVD] (DVD)
An enjoyable watch, mostly low-key, atmospheric, subtle and almost calm movie, interspersed with the odd bit of ultra-violence. Did I mention the soundtrack is awesome? 80's synth vibe to it all. I bought the soundtrack too immediately after I finished watching.

Faux Fur Animal Hood (Hat, Scarf & Mittens) - Wolf
Faux Fur Animal Hood (Hat, Scarf & Mittens) - Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars Went down very well as a gift, 26 Jan. 2013
Bought as a birthday present for a friend, she loved it needless to say. Delivery was very quick, quality of product is good. The length of the scarf/hand mittens is such that you can't have your hands in them with your arms at your side, that may be of interest to potential buyers. Also, the interior of the hat is lined in the kind of material you find on the inside of jackets, rather than a fluffy or kitted interior.

Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Why pay more, 6 Jan. 2013
Comfortable mouse, plenty of buttons, long woven cable, adjustable click/smooth scroll wheel, adjustable weight too.

My only gripe is the thumb buttons are probably a little too far back on the mouse for my larger hands. My thumb tip rests on the furthest forward of the three and thumb knuckle on the furthest back. Surprisingly the middle of the 3 is well distinguished and I have yet to accidently press it.

I would say that some games dont appear to recognise the middle thumb button but I can hardly blame the mouse for this.

Final thing, the two very small +\- buttons on the left side of the LMB are not remappable, as they control the mouse sensitivity (shown on the LED's on the middle-left of the mouse) for on the fly adjustments, if thats your thing.

CaseCrown Lux Glider Case (Black Obsidian) for Apple iPhone 4 / 4S
CaseCrown Lux Glider Case (Black Obsidian) for Apple iPhone 4 / 4S

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than an Apple bumper, 6 Jan. 2013
Bought this to replace the free Apple bumper case I got with my iPhone 4. This is a significantly better case than Apple produced and offers much better protection.

Its a solid black plastic case, with a rubberised outer coating, and a felt lined interior (remove rear scratch guards if you have one on your phone like I did). Its a very snug fit, so the case actually seperates into a top three quarters and a bottom quarter of a case, which may not be apparent unless you look at the picture closely. Its not a snap on or Apple style case in case you were wondering.

You slide your phone along the grooves cut into the case into the top portion, then clip the bottom section on. The fit, as I said is very snug, and there looks to be zero chance of pocket lint getting between the case and phone and scratching the aluminium band around the phone, as happened with my Apple case.

Page: 1 | 2