Profile for R. Colin Gardiner > Reviews

Content by R. Colin Gardiner

R. Colin Gardiner "Colin R Gardiner" (Lancashire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
500ml IPA Isopropyl Alcohol 99% pure ISOPROPANOL
500ml IPA Isopropyl Alcohol 99% pure ISOPROPANOL
Offered by Modern Mailing

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent de-greaser!, 21 Jun 2014
Cheaper than buying at a pharmacy, IPA is marvellous for de-greasing many household items. Get a new/clean micro fibre cloth and a few cc of IPA and all those annoying streaks and finger marks on your TV just disappear! Because it's 99% pure there is no residue! Also great for removing sticky label residue!

56 Piece Hobby Craft Knife Set
56 Piece Hobby Craft Knife Set
Offered by HOUSEWARES-ONLINE

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of kit for a tenner!, 21 Jun 2014
As I say, a lot of kit for a tenner! Some of the smaller knives have a fairly flimsy plastic blade holder one of which broke. Lots more to back it up. All the blades are held in situ by magnetic take which keeps it all neat and tidy. Having done without something like this for decades, I now find I'm using the kit once or twice a week.
If you are looking to repair an iPod Classic Gen.6 then it worked a treat for me.

SainSonic Zodiac 904 Series 144Hz Rechargeable 3D Shutter Glasses for Acer/NEC/BenQ/eMachines/LG/Optoma/Vivitek 3D-Ready DLP Projectors*Black*
Offered by P&A

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Optoma HD131X, 4 Sep 2013
These 3D glasses work a treat with my Optoma HD131X projector! You just have to make sure you select 'DLP-Link' in the 3D menu of the projector, otherwise you will experience loss of sync'.

I've tried them with various 3D material from 3D-Blu-Ray to Sky 3D SBS programs and they just work fine. I have experienced the odd ( well, one actually ) inversion of left and right lenses but a quick press of the power button rectified the issue.

These are SO cheap in comparison to Optoma's own brand, you can buy four pairs for the price of one Optoma. I've had 3D TVs since they came out and these glasses with the Optoma HD131X are far superior to my previous 3D experiences. So much so, I am re-watching my 3D content on an 84" screen.

Delighted!!!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 25, 2013 12:11 PM BST

Alphasonix Latest 3rd Generation Audi Music Interface (AMI - 4F0051510K) Adapter Cable / Lead - Connects iPhone 3G 3GS 4 4S iPod (all models) iPad iPad 2 and iPad 3 to Audi A3 A4 S4 A5 S5 A6 A7 A8 Q3 Q5 Q7 TT / VW Volkswagen Golf Jetta Passat Passat CC Tiguan Touareg EOS
Offered by alphasonix Ltd. (UK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked first time!, 14 Aug 2013
My daughter has a Mk6 Golf and wanted to connect her iPod Classic so I bought one of these rather than pay up to six times more direct from VW. Worked first time and charges the iPod too. She's delighted so I am too!

Ignore the relatively higher postage cost, it's the total cost, in my opinion and at around 8 quid, one cannot grumble! delivered quickly too!

LAYEN® BS-1 Bluetooth Audio Receiver Solution. Single Receiver To Turn Your Bose Series 1 or Early 12v Docking Station Bluetooth: Stream Your Music Wirelessly - Bluetooth Adapter for the Bose 1st Generation/Series 1 Dock
Offered by LAYEN

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat, 14 Aug 2013
Works a treat! No messing, just pair and away you go! Rejuvenated my daughter's Sound Dock 1in less than 3 minutes!

Live: Lovely To See You [Blu-ray]
Live: Lovely To See You [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ The Moody Blues

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastic!, 16 May 2013
I'm not a great lover of music, I confess. Friends look at my minuscule collection and sneer, saying "Is that it?". I haven't bought a CD in decades let alone a music DVD. A friend of mine pitched up one night with a selection of his latest music Blu-Rays and DVDs hoping to whet my appetite over a few beers.

I loved the Moody Blues when in my teens so I chose to watch and listen to 'Lovely to see you'. The whole experience was amazing, particularly in DTS HD Master audio. I've never heard anything like it! I was almost in tears. I ordered my own copy even before he left.

If you like the Moody Blues and have a half decent Home Cinema System, don't miss this one.

Sennheiser RS 170 Closed Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphone
Sennheiser RS 170 Closed Digital Wireless Over-Ear Headphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, comfortable and beautifully crafted., 16 May 2013
Haven't bought headphones for over 20 years and they were the IR kind. Well, how things have moved on! Great sound, very comfortable and very well made. Purely subjective of course as I have nothing with which to compare.

I bought these for a home recording project so I chose the 'closed-back' version (RS170) to block out external noise which, works very well indeed! They also block any sound 'spillage' to others very effectively. The headphones use a 'Kleer' technology which is claimed to eliminate interference. As I have not experienced any wireless interference, it must work. Haven't really tested the range so cannot comment on that. There is also a 'dB' switch on the base so you can adjust the input, depending on the source.

So far, I've found myself swapping between my AV Receiver and my iMac which means moving the base each time. A nice touch would have been to add a 3.5mm input socket on the headphones so that they could be used wired for short periods on other devices rather than keep moving the base. Bluetooth functionality would have also been an advantage but that's a big ask at this price.

Very happy with my purchase.

Samsung WMN250M Mini Wall Mount for Samsung TVs Upto 65 inch
Samsung WMN250M Mini Wall Mount for Samsung TVs Upto 65 inch
Offered by bingo-deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully engineered, inspiring confidence!, 14 April 2013
Hanging your flat screen on the wall requires a degree of confidence, not just in the ability to fit it competently but, that it's not going to fall off. This is the second Samsung branded slim mount I have purchased ( the other being the single point, wire version ). For my 46" in the bedroom, I wanted the security of an original brand and was not disappointed!

One of the brackets ended up a little 'squiffy' due to the old walls being stone and plaster and the drill drifting off-centre but, the bracket compensated easily and there was no need to adjust the level.

Yes, there are cheaper varieties available but, when you're hanging 1400 quid on the wall, do you really want to take the risk of potentially inferior materials or construction? That's my take on it anyway!

Sumvision Cyclone Micro 3 Media Player - Black
Sumvision Cyclone Micro 3 Media Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price!, 14 Oct 2012
I bought this for a friend who's a bit of a Luddite. This is the best incarnation yet! Better graphical interface, proper remote ( no longer has the credit card 'bubble' buttons ) 8GB inbuilt storage and USB powered option. The latter function is only useful if going straight into a compatible Smart TV and you don't want access to extra storage as there's only one mini-USB. Comes with two mini-USB to standard USB connectors, one male and one female. I filled the internal memory with various common file types and all played without issue during my short test.

Okay, it's not as good as a Dune Media Player ( my particular favourites ) but it's less than half the price of the entry level Dune HDTV 101. Perfectly suitable if you are on a budget.

Netgear XAVB5001 Powerline AV 500 Adapter Kit
Netgear XAVB5001 Powerline AV 500 Adapter Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat even with older Netgear Powerline products, 30 Oct 2011
I already have a set of the older Netgear AV 101 Powerline Adapters and wanted to expand the network to other rooms in the house. The AV 500 adapters are fully compatible with my existing set so, I was prepared to pay a premium.

Configuration is simple with the "Netgear Powerline Utility" which works on Mac OSX and Windows. The utility enables the user to rename each adapter for easy identification, check the speed of each and even disable the status lights, particularly useful if you are distracted by the flashing LEDs.

I bought the higher spec' AV 500 as I wanted to stream HD video to TVs around the house. In practice, the AV 101s are perfectly capable of handling HD Video without any stutter however, initial access to the media device is much faster with the AV 500s.

In view of the AV 500's higher data speeds, I have connected one to my router and the other to my Ethernet switch which is in turn connected to my TV, Cinema Amp', Sky HD box and PS3. The slower AV101s are connected to a security camera and a Smart TV in the back bedroom as their demands are less.

In tests, I have had three different movies being streamed to three different TVs from my NAS Network Attached Storage device with no interruption!

PROS
Easy to configure.
Small and unobtrusive particularly with LEDs disabled ).
Somewhat future-proof should I need to go to a Gigabit network in the future.

CONS
More expensive than most.

Page: 1 | 2