Profile for Leslie N. Wilson > Reviews

Strands: A Year of Discoveries on the Beach
Strands: A Year of Discoveries on the Beach
by Jean Sprackland

5.0 out of 5 stars So many memories, 28 Dec. 2012
From the late 50s thro. to the early70s we lived in Great Crosby . Our Farther had a Co. car ( salesman ) and we spent a lot of weekends, both winter and summer on Ainsdale beach. My brother and I would collect coal washed up out of the ships bunkers that had been sunk in the channel leading to Liverpool, returnable lemonade bottles for the 3d refund, and of course lots of treasures from the tide line. I can remember us finding many of the items described in the book, except the Squirt!

In those early days the beach was still covered by 6/8ft. wooden poles sticking up out of the sand, we presumed to prevent planes landing during the war.

Behind the dunes was another very different area, low lying and marshy, in the spring a haven of wild flowers and nesting waders. We often used to find nests in the high water line, just a scrape in the sand usually with 4 brown spotted eggs.

I went to Southport Technical College, and in the Summer Holidays worked for the Council as a "Beach Cleaner Etc" according to my contract. Duties included selling Deck Chairs from a large stack, selling tickets to pitch a tent in the sand dunes ( no kidding!!!) The best job of all though was to follow the morning tide out in an old jeep, and mark anything obnoxious with a red flag for the "heavy gang " to pick up before the visitors arrived. Those early morning on the beach are some of my best memories, huge skys, air like champagne, you could see the Lake District, the north wales coast and further round Formby point,the Liverpool skyline.

We live far away now but still have relatives in the area so always pay a visit to the beach whenever we are visiting .

Jean, thank you for bringing back all these happy memories.

Best Regards,