Profile for P. Carr > Reviews

Content by P. Carr

P. Carr (Suffolk, England)

Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD)
Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD)
Offered by Digitalville UK
Price: 6.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful game and series - ruined by its ending., 12 April 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Mass Effect series is a truly wonderful RPG - best in class - in which (over 3 games) you will spend a lot of time and become emotionally engaged in the characters and story.

And then the ending ruins it all. You are essentially presented with 3 ending choices, all of which are out of step with the character and decisions you have been playing over the last five years.

(Oh and if you have been playing ME1 and ME2, then note although multiplayer is optional, AFAIK, you *have* to play multiplayer in order to get the best outcome).

Bioware have announced they will be offering a new DLC to give new content clarifying the end of the story. My recommendation would be to wait until this is delivered, to see whether they fixes things, to give the game the ending it truly deserves. Once that happens I may edit and review the rating I have given the game here.

lf Sings
lf Sings
Price: 8.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Short but sweet, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: lf Sings (Audio CD)
Yes, this is short but this is beautifully sung and played. Personally I preferred this to the last album Innurdir Skinni . I bought the music as mp3 downloads from Amazon, which was cheaper, more immediate and in my opinion very good value for money.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 9, 2012 11:16 AM BST

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars BBC Listen Again Review of Unit, 13 May 2008
I bought a Blik Radiostation primarily to be able to listen to BBC Listen Again material in the living room, without needing a media PC, and it is on the basis that I have marked this review. Deciding on a mark wasn't easy because when it works this is a great device, but when it doesn't it can be infuriating.

The main problem the unit has is that it sometimes loses the Listen Again stream and starts back at the beginning of the programme. Sometimes I can listen to entire programmes without this happening and all is happy. There have been a few times when the unit has not got past the first song of the broadcast several times in a row, without re-starting and in these circumstances the unit is pretty much unusable. I don't believe this is the broadband connection, since trying the iplayer on my PC on the same morning, exhibited no such problems.

Now losing the stream part way through wouldn't be so bad, if you were able to forward wind back to where you last left off (or close to). Unlike the BBC iplayer, there is no forward wind function, meaning you have to listen to the same stream all over again!!

The unit does appear to have pause button, but leave this for any length of time, and I find the unit plays a few seconds of buffer, and then goes back to the start of the programme again.

Setup of the unit was quite straight forward. My initial problem was working out how to remove the default EU plug and replacing it with the UK plug! Connecting it to my broadband via my wifi router WEP key was easy.

Constructing a `favourites' list of Listen Again programmes doesn't seem to work well. You can register with the Frontier Silicon portal and build a favourites list of Listen Again programmes, which can then be `accessed' via the Blik unit. However the programmes I try to access this way, *do not play* giving back a `Network Error' message (It works fine for live internet radio streams, just not my listen again programmes). My solution to this problem - not documented in manual - is to assign a `pre-set' button (from 0 to 10) against favourite programmes, having first manually searched for the programme via the unit. Manually searching for a programme is not something you would do on a regular basis, as it takes time to key in the name of the programme you are looking for via the unit.

Another problem to be aware of, is that whilst the number of Listen Again programmes accessible via the portal is huge, the list is *not complete*. Thus when my wife wanted to listen again to a one-off drama that was available via the BBC iplayer, it was not available via the frontier silicon portal and the Blik radiostation. Nor could I find any way of manually specifying a listen again stream (at least not one that doesn't result in a `Network Error' message)

Whether or not the above problems can be remedied from a firmware update in conjunction between Revo and Frontier Silicon (who run the radio portal), remains to be seen. One would hope so, as presently the technology feels very much a beta product - one with key usability points that need ironing out.

Sound on the unit is good, but it is better still if you make use of the stereo outputs and instead route it through your hi-fi amplifier and speakers.

This review may come across as negative, but I want people to be aware of potential current problems so that they are not surprised. On the plus side, this unit does enable me to enjoy listen again programmes in my living room - something I was previously not able to do.