ARRAY(0xa8de5750)

Profile for Mary > Reviews

Content by Mary

Mary

A Season of Knives: A Sir Robert Carey Mystery (Sir Robert Carey Series)
A Season of Knives: A Sir Robert Carey Mystery (Sir Robert Carey Series)
Price: 1.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Some very "creative" ideas here!, 11 April 2014
Our roguish heroes are well out of their comfort zone still in London, and our respected author portrays Shakespeare and Marlowe in a very unexpected (unlikely) way. We meet Sir Robert's illustrious mother....well that explains his running away from home! Do I detect a touch of Blackadder here....remember Bob? Oh I enjoyed the madcap romp even if it was very far fetched. There were some more sensible moments when the conditions in London at the time were described, showing the product of real research.. I keep checking to see if the next instalment is out and I do hope they are safely back up in the Border country this time. If we are not careful the good old Dodd will get to like washing and wearing nice posh clothes. Heaven forbid!

A Surfeit of Guns: A Sir Robert Carey Mystery (Sir Robert Carey Series)
A Surfeit of Guns: A Sir Robert Carey Mystery (Sir Robert Carey Series)
Price: 3.28

5.0 out of 5 stars A rattling good adventure, 29 Mar 2014
I wish to complain. How am I supposed to do the housework when people write such rollicking good adventures? The hours went by and I just had to read a bit more. Supper was going to be a casserole, it ended up being beefburger and chips! A really good bit of escapism swashbuckling and such great characters. Must go now as I have got the next book downloaded and can't waste time talking to you!

Old Moorhen's Shredded Sporran (The Belchester Chronicles - 4)
Old Moorhen's Shredded Sporran (The Belchester Chronicles - 4)
Price: 1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!, 3 Feb 2014
Totally the farthest fetched of the Belchester Chronicles. Is our Dear Andrea running out of silly ideas? As for the ending! No! No! No! Never! There was a more acceptable candidate for that role and it would have helped the onward progress of the saga. Hurrrumph....will there be another episode? Looks very unlikely to me. Shame.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 7:26 PM GMT

Nemesis: (Falco 20)
Nemesis: (Falco 20)
Price: 4.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Vale Marcus Didius Falco!, 11 Aug 2013
A good story to end the Falco saga.Now a dyed in the wool pater familias whether he likes it or not, Falco no longer needs to earn a living and the fire has gone out of his belly. All in all he deserves to enjoy his retirement and this final adventure winds things up nicely. Whether I will follow the adventures of his adopted daughter....hummmm, not sure I can believe in her ability to survive on her own in an extremely male centred world.I know I will be revisiting Falco and re-running his adventures for old times sake. Thanks Lindsey!

Sheer Folly (Daisy Dalrymple)
Sheer Folly (Daisy Dalrymple)
Price: 4.19

3.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, 11 Aug 2013
My interest in Daisy's adventures is beginning to wane, and this story has not rekindled my enthusiasm. The story is set in safe territory, a stately home, and Carola Dunn is more at home with these surroundings. However the grotto and night manoeuvres were, shall we say, very contrived. Perhaps I need to give theses books a break for a while then come fresh to the next episode.

The Germanicus Mosaic (A Libertus Mystery of Roman Britain)
The Germanicus Mosaic (A Libertus Mystery of Roman Britain)
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable yarn, 11 Aug 2013
Typical of this genre of writing, what you see is what you get. Lots of background information worked into the narrative, Clearly portrayed characters, and a good storyline. Rather easy to guess "who dunnit" but an enjoyable easy read story nevertheless. I will probably be getting more of Libertus' adventures in the future.

The Lantern Bearers (Eagle of the Ninth)
The Lantern Bearers (Eagle of the Ninth)
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars The start of the Dark Ages, 26 May 2013
I enjoyed this book particularly as it really spelt out the chaos that left behind in Britain when the Romans withdrew their legions so suddenly. There was some contrived parts to the plot so that we could see the situation from the point of view of the various protagonists in the power struggle, but apart from that, it was a good story well told.

Miss Jacobson's Journey
Miss Jacobson's Journey
Price: 1.85

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious and disappointing, 26 May 2013
Having read quite a few of the Daisy Dalrymple adventures I thought I would try one of Carola Dunn's other sagas. Oh dear I'm afraid I found this as ponderous as the old berline carriage which figured large in the plot. I confess that an episode from Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe kept hovering in the background of my mind whilst reading, and I missed its excitement and drive (and of course Sean Bean!) I also found it quite frustrating when Ms Dunn kept referring to Jewish life and practices, but then just failing to give you that little extra information to satisfy the curious. For instance what IS a "mezuzah"? Mentioned a couple of times but not explained. I get the impression that Ms Dunn was treading a fine line between using her knowledge of Jewish customs to set the tale in an unusual scenario, but running scared of overloading the story with explanations and information so that it became a text book. To sum up, a thin story line, implausible situations and stereotypical characters. I'm afraid I will not be rushing to get the next book in the saga. Sorry.

God's Lions: The Secret Chapel
God's Lions: The Secret Chapel
Price: 0.77

1.0 out of 5 stars God's lions The Secret Chapel, 30 Oct 2012
This will be the first Kindle book I have bought which will be permanently archived! So glad I didn't buy more than one in the series. I enjoy archaeological mysteries and am prepared to accept a lot of "just suppose......what if...." but this story is SO far fetched I laughed out loud! I mean an oil gusher spontaneously erupts from the Negev desert and right next door water gushes out of the sand, and thus provides Israel with wealth and fertile land miraculously. Huston and a large part or America devastated by an atomic bomb. A Moses-like billionaire conjuring up expeditions, helicopter gunships, luxury yachts so that our 5 Chosen Ones can complete their mission to deliver Satan's Bible to the(not so secret)Chapel.Oh yes and they have to defeat Satan and his minions with the help of lashings of Holy water and all the Archangels. I mean....really! Only scanned through to the end just to see how the silliness would be resolved. Do not be tempted dear reader!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2012 8:41 AM GMT