Profile for Richard Crowe > Reviews

Squandered
by David Craig
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If only I had, 22 May 2008
This review is from: Squandered (Paperback)
I was rushing for the 46 bus to Paddington Station at South End Green in London with this book in my hand and its contents boiling my brain when who should I see but that master of spin, Aleister Campbell sitting at one of the cafes there. I very nearly rushed over to thrust it into his face and demand if he had yet read it. If only I had! I sat on the bus afterwards fuming at myself. This is a book everyone should read and if only they did then canvassing for New Labour would be a real nightmare for anyone still benighted enough to do it. But as other reviewers have commented this is not some Tory diatribe this is a clear and careful analysis that reads like Gogol's Dead Souls (only its all true) of the managerial takeover of our country. A process that actully began under Thatcher. The whole of the New Labour project is laid bare. The facts and the arrogance that it reveals throughout government should be enough to start a revolution. Its actually quite terrifying to see all these elements of this takeover brought together like this and I am someone who reads the press and follows the news closely and so thought I knew how bad it was. I think we should all be buying copies wholesale and giving it to everyone we know who can read and think.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2009 1:31 AM BST