Profile for Father Brian > Reviews

The Holly & The Ivy [DVD]
The Holly & The Ivy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ralph Richardson

5.0 out of 5 stars Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!, 3 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Holly & The Ivy [DVD] (DVD)
I have loved this film since I saw it in the 1980s. Over-acted at times. (The two aunts are wonderful. The opening sequence in the hotel always makes me want to cry.) As my brother said, "Any film with a steam train AND William Hartnell as a sergeant in the first few minutes is worth watching." It is full of sentimentality - and an England that has gone or never was - but the central story is very powerful. The dishwashing scene is another tear-jerker, not to mention the fine (and subtle) acting. How does Celia Johnson manage to wield a tea-towel and come out with such pathos? Margaret Leighton is astonishingly beautiful and her diction is a cause of joy. I can watch this film any time. (I rewatched the film on Christmass Day 2014 and have decided it is my favourite film. The hanky was at the ready and the eyes mopped from time to time. One point - some reviewers have associated the holly and ivy with the two aunts: I have always had the two sisters in mind. Do others agree or disagree? For those who were not impressed by a first viewing - this one definitely improves with familiarity.

Wagner: Tristan und Isolde (DG The Originals)
Wagner: Tristan und Isolde (DG The Originals)

4.0 out of 5 stars I havn't heard the whole recording yet - but totally ..., 3 Sept. 2014
I havn't heard the whole recording yet - but totally agree with the person who equated Price with Janowitz. I heard the Liebestod on Radio Three (Was it "Private Passions"?) and was bowled over by her glorious voice. Can't wait to get the set.

Moominpappa at Sea (Moomintroll)
Moominpappa at Sea (Moomintroll)
by Kingsley Hart
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Tears for the Groke, 12 Jun. 2012
I was so glad to read others appreciation of what is a wonderful book. Now in my late 50s, I first read "Moominpappa at Sea" when I was 8. Even talking about the Groke's dance makes me weep. (The first review had me in tears.) The atmosphere is extraordinary. Jansson's total lack of sentimentality, her ability to portray the foibles of adults to the young (and old) reader - make for a reading experience that many people overlook. ("How can you read children's books?" people ask me.) Yes, there is resolution - but only after a fashion. She reminds me of Iris Murdoch.

Of Gods And Men [DVD] [2010]
Of Gods And Men [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Xavier Maly
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars A visual sermon, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Of Gods And Men [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I saw this film at the local film theatre. The spiritual journey of the community, from disagreement to unity of purpose, was stunning. The portrayal of their life, both together and within the local Moslem community,was gently unfolded. The sheer love between all concerned was vividly portrayed - and their love of God. It felt like a documentary rather than a drama with actors. It made me want to pray! The final chapter meeting to decide whether to stay or go revealed a depth of love and trust - in both God and each other - was a real revelation. The 'Last Supper' scene was so beautiful and the final scene was more to do with the heavenly journey than earthly death. I would be interested to hear what an atheist made of it. One last comment, as with so many none British/American films, it made me aware of how noisy 'commercial' films are. Watch it at night with everything else switched off - and no breaks for anythhing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2013 5:17 PM GMT