Profile for B > Reviews

Content by B

B "B" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Understanding Flash Photography: How to Shoot Great Photographs Using Electronic Flash

5.0 out of 5 stars The FIRST book you should read on flash, 18 Aug. 2012
I've owned an SB900 for a year or so but I've struggled to do anything effectively with it. I was reading Joe Mcnallys books and videos on kelby training - which are great but I always felt I was missing something. I was, there's a whole load of fundamentals about flash I was missing and Bryan in his great teaching style covers them fantastically in this book. It's one of those books that I felt sad had to end. But it's really brought me up a level with the basics of flash and got me shooting proper flash pictures. I also think when I go back to the Joe McNally resources I'll get a lot more out of them.

Bosch ART 23 Easytrim Accu Cordless 14.4 Volt NiCD Grass Trimmer (23 cm Cutting Diameter)

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless strimmer, 12 May 2012
I wondered why this thing came with so many spare plastic blades, now I know! I go through 5 or 6 blades in the 10 minutes it takes me to strim my garden. They just disintegrate. Its a pity as the strimmer body is ok and the rechargeable battery concept is fine, just let down by a poor blade design. I've decided to use the money I would have spent to buy a packet of blades every month to buy a different strimmer and this one is going in the bin!

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but could be better, 16 Dec. 2011
The cover is certainly a neat fit and the light function works well, so the product is really well designed. But I'm really disappointed that after taking it in and out of my bag normally for a week the leather is scratched and marked. Not the quality I would expect for a £50 product.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2011 9:37 PM GMT

Seagate Expansion 2 TB External Hard Drive, USB 2.0
Seagate Expansion 2 TB External Hard Drive, USB 2.0
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless - Failed after less than 6 months!, 20 Mar. 2011
What a piece of junk. I've had it for less than 6 months with light use and its failed. Seagate Warranty doesn't recover data (even if its possible) and you have to pay to ship it to them. Don't buy it.

The Back of the Napkin: Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures
The Back of the Napkin: Solving Problems and Selling Ideas with Pictures
by Dan Roam

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but hardly earth shattering, 14 Jan. 2011
This book is okay and by no means bad information. But it's far from revolutionary and I found it a bit obvious especially if you've read any similar stuff before.

If this sort of stuff is brand new to you then its worth a read but itherwise I'd give it a miss.

Vision and Voice: Refining Your Vision in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (Voices That Matter)
by David DuChemin

5.0 out of 5 stars The Missing Link between Vision and Post Processing, 9 Aug. 2010
Like David's previous books, the writing and standard of photography is very high. The book has three parts to it: A number of chapters on shooting with vision, intention and how this vision needs to be carried through to post processing, a section on David's view of the Lightroom tools and the final section has 20 of David's photographs describing his vision for them and how he carried his vision through to post. For me, the first and last parts are the most valuable, the middle part is necessary I suppose to complete the book and useful for those new to Lightroom.

The first part of the book is fantastic, a clear discussion on what vision means, why it is important and how post processing should support that vision and intent.

The last part of the book is also useful but more practical in nature and gives an insight into David's thinking both on his vision and how to express the vision in post. My only criticism in this section is he refers to the histogram quite a bit but doesn't show it in the text. However, the fact you can download his RAW files and follow through the post processing yourself is a great addition and gets over the missing histograms.

As with most PeachPit books, the standard of publication is very good. Any serious photographer will find this book of value even if you only read the first part.

Griffin Smarttalk - Headphone Adapter, Mic & Control for iPhone
Griffin Smarttalk - Headphone Adapter, Mic & Control for iPhone

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money, 12 May 2010
Bought this and it works as no more than an extension cable. Mic and buttons are non functional. Don't waste your money.

Composition (Photo Workshop)
Composition (Photo Workshop)
by Blue Fier

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what is says on the tin!, 27 Aug. 2009
Odd book this, the first three chapters start off well with some good (but basic) advice on composition. But from chapter 4 onwards the book is all over the place, chapters on aperture, shutter speed, light, portraits, file formats ... everything you can think of except composition!! Severe lack of editoral control on this one. I have given it two stars instead of one because the stuff in the other chapters is not bad but off subject and probably covered in photography books you already own. A much better buy for your money is the Photographers eye by Michael Freeman.

Perfect Exposure
Perfect Exposure
by Michael Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 out of 5!, 10 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Perfect Exposure (Paperback)
This is the second Michael Freeman book I've read and this like the other is a fantastic read. It's quite involved so may not appeal to the casual photographer but defintely worthwhile for the serious photographer. After reading I have to admit that I thought I knew what correct exposure was but was way off the mark. I now have a much more detailed and richer understanding of what exposure means and it's had a direct impact on my photographs in subtle ways I wouldn't have appreciated before. Superbly illustrated with Michael's own photographs adds to the appeal of the book. This will be a book I will return to many times in the future.

Magic Lantern Guides: Nikon D90
Magic Lantern Guides: Nikon D90
by Simon Stafford

3.0 out of 5 stars Technically comprehensive but disappointing, 1 Jun. 2009
Whilst I can't fault the technical detail and the skill of the author, what a drab looking book! All the pictures are in b&w (some illustrating points about colour!). The illustrations that are included are good but there could have been a lot more. For example there is a piece of text explaining histograms which could have been made clearer by a diagram. Following my disappointment with this book I've bought "Nikon D90 for Dummies" which is a far better illustrated read - although the level of technical detail is slightly lower.

Page: 1 | 2