Profile for Page Turner > Reviews

Content by Page Turner

Page Turner

BLACKBERRY 9900 BOLD PINK SLICONE CASE / COVER/ SKIN WITH SCREEN PROTECTOR AND CAR CHARGER

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak colour, 21 April 2012
The colour doesn't look at all as it seems online. It's more like a weak pink/peach. I won't be using it.

I was surprised that it wasn't better packaged.

I haven't tried the car charger yet, and I didn't get a screen protector.

You certainly get what you pay for. And I didn't pay much! Hence the reason I am not going to bother organising returns, its too much of an inconvenience. You take a gamble with online purchasing. This one didn't pay off.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Small but cute!, 21 April 2012
It was much smaller than I had anticipated, which is probably my fault.

My three (very young) daughters enjoyed the surprise toys inside. And being tin money boxes will last longer.

It's not something I would purchase as a gift for anyone else, but for my girls it was a perfect little treat.

Luxury Designer diamante Diamond case/Back cover For BLACKBERRY BOLD 9900/9930
Luxury Designer diamante Diamond case/Back cover For BLACKBERRY BOLD 9900/9930

4.0 out of 5 stars Trustworthy seller, 21 April 2012
I received the initial cover very quickly, but was disappointed that it arrived with a slight crack which became a large split when I put my phone in the cover. I emailed the seller, thought I hadn't received a reply and filed a claim with Amazon. The seller telephoned me immediately because he had emailed me through Amazon, but my personal settings didn't notify me. He offered a refund or a replacement. I opted for the latter and I received it the following day.

I was impressed by his polite service and quick attempt at resolution.

I felt that the inside of the case was a little 'plastic/cheap in appearence' but this is not viewable from the outside as photographed. Consequently, I have received compliments on the phone cover and to date, its the best phone cover I have purchased in terms of its outer appearence.

For his customer service alone, I would use this seller again.

Neocate LCP
Neocate LCP
Offered by chemistdirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helped our little boy, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Neocate LCP (Personal Care)
Our baby had continual digestive issues. He cried all the time and rarely slept. The usual suspects were offered, colic, reflux, etc.

As he's my fourth baby, my instinct was that something wasn't quite right with that. We tried infacol, to know avail, and colief. Ranitidine and Omeprazole for reflux. The latter made him more sick. And breastmilk seemed to be a real issue for him.

One Pediatrician wanted to do intrusive tests, that carried risks and wouldn't have been diagnostic - it was just for reflux. A second opinion resulted in this recommended formula.

It has worked extremely well for him. The downside is that its a very thin milk so he's more hungry, more often. But at four months, we can start introducing solids as well. Within a week, he was a very happy baby and it was lovely to see him have 'play time' as opposed to being in pain.

It can be bought on the NHS - I believe, but as a Private patient, we have to incur the full cost anyway. So this price tag is what we would expect.

As a 'back up' when you're running out, this is great to get it online, especially using 'one click' on my phone. We had it within two days.

We were warned that the taste made it difficut for babies to take and to introduce it slowly. But he took it immediately. He refuses to take it lukewarm though, it must be far warmer than our previous babies would have taken it. That's just been our experience though, I would advise caution in terms of heating bottles.

The Secrets Between Us
The Secrets Between Us
by Louise Douglas

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The Secrets Between Us (Paperback)
I was sceptical about this book as it was another of my personal recommendations. I thought the cover was a bit boring and the preview didn't reel me in. However, I was plesantly surprised. The book is very 'readable.' There aren't rambling similies and metaphors, just concise observations and descriptions.

I'm also not a fan of books written in first person, as it makes me feel a bit disconnected. But for this book, there would have been no other approach. So it worked.

I found the questionable element of her experiences was left open to interpretation, was it stress, grief, madness, prescription medicine abuse, or some supernatural presence? I liked that you were never quite sure.

The book flowed. The characters were nice. Nothing special, but they kept me reading.

If you're pretty good at guessing twists, you'll get this one early on like I did. I would like to find a story where the end blows me away. This didn't. In fact the book did seem to get even more far reaching in the end, in attempt to quickly tie up the loose ends.

In summary, as an easy read when you have a spare hour or so, this book is great. I would probably read another one of her books.

Madness: A Bipolar Life
Madness: A Bipolar Life
by Marya Hornbacher

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't gain anything from this book, 10 April 2012
I have to say, I rather agree with 'Holly' in her review. There is just something missing with this book.

When I had my diagnosis, I rushed out and bought every book I could find. From texbooks to memoirs.

Now bear in mind, I have no memory of my extreme highs and lows, so I rely very much on other people to fill in the blanks. Perhaps I kid myself that I'm 'not really that bad.'

So. when I read this book (which I bought last of all of them), I found it difficult to read. Literally, I couldn't get a flow. In fact, I actually found myself not being that bothered about this person or the end.

To be honest, I would recommend, Kay Redfield Jamison's "An Unquiet Mind" - it was the most recommended book to me. I like intelligent, fact filled books. Then I would recommend textbook style books to better learn about the illness and treatments.

You could read five different books about people and their illness and not relate to any of them. Whilst there's some similiarities in terms of symptoms, it presents differently and effects us all differently and those around us. As such, I didn't gain anything from this book. And I wouldn't recommend it to loved ones of people with Bipolar Disorder, simply because they'll probaly be even more confused. And perhaps even more alarmed!

If you're really keen to learn about the illness and treatments, I would seek out a good reference book. Even the 'For Dummies' range has one, and its actually quite good, albeit a little condescending!

So, if you're looking for a trite, disjointed read that leaves you wondering what's going on half the time and doesn't seem to have a point - look no further! (and I mean the book - not this review!)

I Never Called it Rape
I Never Called it Rape
by Robin Warshaw

4.0 out of 5 stars I read it years ago and found it helpful, 10 April 2012
This review is from: I Never Called it Rape (Paperback)
I bought this book years ago. It was one of the first books I ever read on this subject matter. It was during my time when I was trying to understand what had happened to me. From a small UK village, I was raised with myths and set ideals, so this information was not readily available to me. I found this book integral to my healing.

It is American, so there's terminology and cultures that are not easily related to in the UK. It would be great if there was a book like this targeted at UK readers. I found it informative, compelling and reassuring.

I would higly recommend it to younger readers (17+). I would urge the reader to seek some form of counselling if this subject had not been addressed before. As it will trigger some fairly complex and profound reactions.

I did pass it on to another woman who had experience of partner rape, but perhaps nowaways there are more specific books for that subject matter (see Real Rape, Real Pain.)

Having read it some time ago, now being in my 30s, I would probably seek out a book more current with my peers. As being able to relate is hugely part of the process.

For readers in their late teens and 20s, I would recommend this book to survivors and to the more curious who are keen to understand this topic better.

Real Rape, Real Pain: Help for women sexually assaulted by male partners
Real Rape, Real Pain: Help for women sexually assaulted by male partners
by Patricia Easteal

5.0 out of 5 stars Bias - but it's a good read!, 10 April 2012
OK, I know the author (Patricia Easteal) and my story is one mentioned in the book. No, I'm not telling which one!

There aren't many of these types of books out there and I think women looking to find solace in this subject matter, may just find it here.

Its not a sit down and trawl the pages sort of book. Its more like a reference, and one to view over time. Digesting it quickly will probably overwhelm and upset most women. So I'd advise caution.

I contributed to this because I wanted to share my story and perhaps help someone along the way. The author is an extremely intelligent woman and its worth getting to know her work.

I gave it to a friend who didn't return it, so I've ordered another one! Its been interesting seeing it all come together. It wasn't easy. But for some women, books are priceless - especially when you don't have anyone/anything else. I hope that it provides a sense of not being alone, and encourages someone, at least one person, to get help and support.

Where the Truth Lies
Where the Truth Lies
by Julie Corbin

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Where the Truth Lies (Paperback)
I read extremely fast and I often buy batches of books based on my personal recommendations. Amazon thought I might enjoy this one.

Amazon got a bit wrong!

I wouldn't say the characters are particularly engaging. I wouldn't say the story sent my imagination into overdrive either. How exciting can the emphasis of healthy food and Brighton be?

If you're like me, you'll probably guess the end anyway. And then feel disappointed!

Its OK. A 'before bed' or 'in the bath' kind of time killer. But its not one I packed into my handbag and pulled out at every given moment.

All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir
All That Is Bitter and Sweet: A Memoir
by Ashley Judd

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and engaging, 10 April 2012
I purchased this book because I enjoy Ashley Judd's movies. I find her watchable. She's never struck me as an ego-maniac, more 'down-to-earth.' I heard that she had experienced trauma and that she had done important work in developing countries, so I was keen to learn more.

I found this book very insightful. I enjoyed her first hand experiences overseas. She isn't pretentious, she seems very genuine. I have grown to respect her more as a woman. Her personal story adds to her dimensions.

If your interest lies within development work, I think you'll enjoy this. The movie thing is more of a side line. If you respect Angelina'a Jolie's work in Cambodia (not her personal exploits) I think you'll enjoy this.

Not so keen on the God parts! No body likes a preacher - hence the star rating not being higher.

PS - not interested in a debate, thanks Christians!