Profile for Ms. A. C. Johnston > Reviews

Content by Ms. A. C. Johnston

Ms. A. C. Johnston (Northern Ireland)

Third Wave Feminism and Television: Jane Puts It in Box (Reading Contemporary Television)
by Merri Lisa Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and readable, 11 Jun. 2009
I wrote a dissertation this year about third-wave feminism and television and found this book invaluable. That said, it's not strictly an 'academic' book - it's accessible to all and is written in a very readable style. The book covers all sorts of ground. Highly recommended...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2014 10:03 AM BST

PAGAN CHRISTIANITY HB
PAGAN CHRISTIANITY HB
by VIOLA & BARNA

5.0 out of 5 stars A.W.E.S.O.M.E., 11 Jun. 2009
This review is from: PAGAN CHRISTIANITY HB (Hardcover)
These guys have done their research! This book was an enjoyable and enlightening read, and totally blew my mind about the shortcomings of the institutional church. Not everyone's going to be happy! But it's an important discussion we need to have and it made me really hungry to find out more about New Testament model churches and how to do them...

The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within
The Barbarian Way: Unleash the Untamed Faith Within
by Erwin Raphael McManus

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab book!, 23 Feb. 2009
Erwin's basic premise is that Christianity has been watered down to simply being safe and civilised - which is about as far from Jesus' message as you can get. The urgency has gone and now it's just about living a good, safe and trouble-free life. Jesus wants spiritual warriors, barbarians. People who are willing to go to the ends of the earth for him and proclaim good news to the poor and fight injustice. Not going to happen in white middle-class suburbia.

Erwin brings us back to Jesus' original call for discipleship and purpose. It's a really good book, every friend I've lent it to has been like 'WOAH!'
My pastor got me this for my baptism and it has blown my mind. Read it!

VELVET ELVIS: Repainting the Christian Faith
VELVET ELVIS: Repainting the Christian Faith
by Rob Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, 9 Feb. 2009
Rob Bell's the real deal. You can just tell how excited he is about Jesus, it oozes off the page. This book proves once and for all that you don't have to leave your brain on a shelf when you become a Christian. Bell urges you to question things, and provides some solid biblical foundations for doing so!
If you've ever been disappointed by Christians and wanted to pack the whole thing in, Rob Bell feels your pain. Read this book and you'll feel your faith rejuvenated.

Calling the Rainbow Nation Home: A Story of Acceptance and Affirmation
Calling the Rainbow Nation Home: A Story of Acceptance and Affirmation
by E. T. Sundby

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply astounding. Everyone should read it., 17 Dec. 2008
I haven't even finished the book yet and I feel compelled to share with everyone how wonderful it is. I've always been pretty secure in my faith as well as accepting of my sexuality, but having joined a church recently that has helped me grow in faith but condemns homosexuality I've realised that I have some unresolved issues and whether or not I can be right if so many people condemn me. Elaine Sundby has a very sound understanding of the Christian faith and answers pretty much every question that was rattling around in my brain, even some ones I didn't know I had! Not only that, but I feel the book has moved me to a greater understanding of my own faith - I now have a deeper relationship with God as well as a "breastplate of truth" to guard my faith against those who misunderstand the issue of homosexuality. I recommend this book to those struggling with reconciling their sexuality and faith, to those who are struggling to accept someone they know because of their sexuality, to people who think they know what God thinks of 'teh gays'...everyone basically!

The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Scepticism
The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Scepticism
by Timothy Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should read it, 26 Nov. 2008
Just like how I believe all Christians should read 'The God Delusion', all atheists should read this book, so that they know what they're talking about. There will be no greater challenge to you than to read this book, and no matter what your world view you need to challenge and question it from time to time. Furthermore, I honestly believe the majority of believers don't really understand what their faith is about, I thought I did until I read this.
I've never read a more coherent argument for the existence of God - read it, whether you believe or not.

In a word: watertight.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 3, 2012 5:01 PM GMT

Feminism, Femininity and Popular Culture (Inside Popular Film)
Feminism, Femininity and Popular Culture (Inside Popular Film)
by Joanne Hollows

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 27 Oct. 2008
I'm currently writing a dissertation for film studies that involves feminist cultural criticism and this book has proved invaluable. Hollows goes into a great amount of detail about different feminist debates on popular culture in a very clear and easy-to-understand way, and her writing style is very pleasant to read. She touches upon the most important areas of cultural criticism (eg. for the film and tv section she looks at genre and psychoanalytic theories) and subjects the theorists she cites to a healthy dose of criticism, delineating the pros and cons of their arguments. If you have any interest in this topic, and particularly if you have an academic interest or you are a student trying to get to grips with this subject, I whole-heartedly recommend this book!