Profile for Peter Guymer > Reviews

Content by Peter Guymer

Peter Guymer (Provence, France)

ALERTEGPS G300 Speed Camera Detector
ALERTEGPS G300 Speed Camera Detector

5.0 out of 5 stars Will pay for itself, 13 Jan 2008
I got an AlerteGPS G200 (similar to the G300 but without the battery) after speeding past a camera which I must have been past at least 100 times.

With the G200 I would have been reminded from 250 metres before the radar that I was going too fast and saved myself the fine which would have paid for the G200 as well as saved me the points on my licence.

The G200 does not "detect" radars but it is programmed with the location of every radar in Europe. Since it incorporates a GPS it knows where you are, the direction you are going in and what speed you are doing (more accurately than your speedo too). Put all this together and it provides you with accurate verbal warnings and visible alarms when you approach speed, red light and bus lane cameras.

Mobile cameras are also provided for with an indication of how often they have been deployed on that stretch of road.

The unit is updated by the AlerteGPS website over the internet simply by plugging it into the USB cable provided (which also provides power to the unit while it is connected to your computer). The AlerteGPS database is updated on a daily basis with new camera positions.

In the car you connect it to the cigarette lighter (or 12V point) using the power cable supplied with the unit and then you just put it somewhere on the dash. It is extremely small and light and the power cable is very thin so it is easy to find a good place to put it.

A really great product - the only caveat is that I read somewhere that some countries (like Switzerland) have banned the use of this and similar "driver aids".

Philips WACS 7000 - 80GB Wireless Music Centre and Station
Philips WACS 7000 - 80GB Wireless Music Centre and Station

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly great piece of kit let down by poor instructions, 12 Jan 2008
I would have given this system 5 stars but for the instructions which do not deal adequately with some installation issues.

I was given the centre and satellite for Christmas and it worked straight out of the box - however the system must have been in storage for months, if not years, as it had the original firmware and and an old Gracenote database which did not recognize many of my CD's.
It is at this point that, unless you are computer-literate and have access to a computer connected to the internet, you could become very frustrated. I guess most people who buy this system will, like me, already have a computer and wireless internet access as it is in this situation that the Streamium system really comes into it own.

In fact I have several PC's on a wireless network using Livebox for internet access. With such a system, assuming that Philips Media Manager (PMM) is installed on each computer, then both the Streamium centre and the satellite(s) can play any of the music stored on any of the computers. If you also install Philips Wireless Audio Device Manager (WADM) on the PC then it too can play the music stored on the Streamium centre.

I downloaded the latest firmware from Philips and successfully updated the Streamium centre via the ethernet cable using the WADM software. I then updated the satellite's firmware wirelessly using WADM. I also updated the centre's Gracenote database using a CD-ROM (just to see how it worked) but you could do this wirelessly as well.

You have to invest more time in all of this than you would expect because the instructions provided by Philips are either inadequate or just plain wrong. For example the 2-way remote control provided with the centre CANNOT access many of the centre's advanced functions (such as setting up the wireless connection) even though the instructions imply that you CAN and the error message you get if you do use the remote is not even listed in the instructions. You can instead use the buttons on the front panel for setting up the wireless connection UNTIL you come to enter the WEP or WPA code for you wireless router which then requires the remote control. And here it gets really stupid - you have to use the 1-way remote control (which comes with the satellite) to enter this code. I only found this out by visiting the excellent Streamium forum at [...]

Both the centre and station(s) should be configured for wireless connection with the router (so that both can get music direct from your PC's) so you have to go through this exercise again for each station. Entering a 20 character WEP using the remote control requires some degree of patience!

Now my Streamium is all working I have junked my old hifi system which with its big speakers and associated CD storage shelves which all took up far too much room. The Streamium system is far neater and now I have ripped all my CD's these can be stored in the garage. The centre produces really good quality sound and, considering its size, the satellite's sound is also amazing.

One last piece of advice - there is an excellent freeware called WACHANDLER which provides a much improved PC interface to the Streamium system.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2010 2:11 PM BST

Philips WACS700/05 Streamium Wireless Music Centre
Philips WACS700/05 Streamium Wireless Music Centre

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly great piece of kit let down by poor instructions, 29 Dec 2007

The Blue Zone
The Blue Zone
by Andrew Gross

2.0 out of 5 stars Misses the Patterson panache, 5 Dec 2007
This review is from: The Blue Zone (Paperback)
I'm not sure how this co-authoring works but always suspected that the main work was done by the little-know co-writer (Andrew Gross) and that the sales were achieved by the inclusion of a famous name (James Patterson).
I was obviously wrong as this first solo effort by Gross is poor whereas his joint efforts with Patterson were generally excellent.
The plot is loose, the characters flat and the ending flawed by an unexplained coincidence that had everyone arriving at the same place and same time for the grand shoot-up.
I was pleased to get to the end before tossing it in the bin and for this reason it gets 2 stars instead of 1.

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3000 Laser Keyboard and Mouse Set
Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3000 Laser Keyboard and Mouse Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 1 Feb 2007
This about the sixth keyboard/mouse combination I've bought in the last couple of years and it is far and away the best.

I was about to order the latest wireless keyboard/laser mouse from Microsoft when luckily my PC mag published a very comprehensive review and the Logitech MX 3000 was the clear winner.

To be honest it is worth getting the keyboard just to experience the best key action you can buy. It is true that the keyboard initially appears rather flat instead of being canted towards you - I have noticed that I sit up more when I type instead of lounging back - this has to be good and my typing speed accuracy has much improved.

The mouse is a delight too with light yet positive controls (and there are a lot of them) and a beautiful gliding action. It is incredibly accurate if, like me, you need pin-prick accuracy for some of your applications.

We then come onto what I can only call the "gadgets" - a rotary "volume" control which actually is not so easy to use as buttons and a "close program" button which is countersunk so you don't press it by accident and therefore is a little difficult to press at all - but at least all these buttons can be reprogrammed, if you can think of a better use for them and can still remember what they do once the little picture is no longer relevant.

Every manufacturer has this kind of stuff on their keyboard but for me you could junk it all and save an inch or two of keyboard depth. By the time you remember you have a button to open your email program you have probably launched from your tray.

But I digress - if you want the best keyboard and mouse on the market buy this. If you want funky buttons you'll find lots of these too.

One for all URC7556 5 in 1 Remote Control
One for all URC7556 5 in 1 Remote Control

5.0 out of 5 stars Does even more than it says on the box, 1 Feb 2007
Having hunted around for some time to find a multi-unit universal remote control that actually does what it's supposed to has taken me quite some time.

But the One 4 All Universal Remote really does it all. I set up my Sony Wega 60" TV, my Panasonic Sky Digibox and my LG Combo DVD recorder/VHS player in just a few minutes using the standard preset codes.

Any keys on the old remote which don't work can be programmed onto any button on the One 4 All that you choose - particularly important with my Combo DVD/VHS which can switch between the DVD and VHS via one push of a button.

But here's the really clever bit which they don't tell you about - even if there is no standard code for your particular unit (as was the case with my son's Xbox 360) you can program the on-off button from your existing remote and then go on to manually set up all the other buttons.

It actually makes sense to buy this universal remote and set it up for all your original remotes before they break or get lost or are eaten by the dog - a bit like backing up your computer before you lose your data!

There are lots more features which I haven't got round to using yet such as macros which will allow one button to execute several button sequences on several remotes. Imagine a single button to turn everything off when you go to bed!

A very good buy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2008 4:13 PM BST

Philex 4 - Way Universal remote control
Philex 4 - Way Universal remote control

1.0 out of 5 stars Compatibility problems and poor sensitivity, 21 Dec 2006
I ordered this remote to replace a Magician-4 remote which has gone on the blink. I wanted to control my Sony 50" LCD TV, a Panasonic Sky receiver and an LG Combi DVD/VCR.

Given that all my gear is quite recent and that the previous remote managed to control all these I was very disappointed with the functionality of the Philex remote.

The best I could achieve on the TV was the on/off, channel change and volume controls - no other buttons worked.

On the Sky receiver most buttons worked, except bizarrely, the red button.

For the DVD recorder, unsurprisingly, very little worked - you could not possible program a recording for example.

It may be that I was just unlucky with my particular equipment - what was totally unacceptable though was the poor sensitivity of the remote - no unit would react unless the remote was pointed directly at the unit's IR sensor whereas the Magician 4 could be pointed in any direction from up to 5 metres away.

Happily a refund is on its way.