Profile for K. Ross > Reviews

Content by K. Ross

K. Ross "KSR" (Prestwick, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Do You Know Me: A Tribute to George Jones
Do You Know Me: A Tribute to George Jones
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars If it sounds just like George, don't mock it. It's meant to!, 17 Oct 2014
Don't buy this, and then moan "He's just mimicking Old Possum"; he meant it that way!This is a tribute in the purest sense - Sammy wants to sound like George, and the resemblance is uncanny!

With that fact settled, then go ahead and enjoy the album. Would I still rather listen to old 'No Show'? Of course I would, and frequently do, but I found this album a truly enjoyable listen, and would happily recommend it. Even Georgette approved of what Sammy was doing. If she didn't, do you think she would have sang a duet with him? And while on the subject of Georgette, don't you think she sounds just like her momma?

ESV Women's Devotional Bible (Purple)
ESV Women's Devotional Bible (Purple)
by Crossway Bibles

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable translation, helpful devotional notes - a great combination and therefore a worthwhile gift for women., 17 Oct 2014
As a pastor, I am sometimes asked to recommend a bible. In terms of translation, my default 'go to' is always the ESV. Its balance of accuracy and readability is such that it must, in my mind, be the first choice. I would only hesitate to recommend the ESV as first choice if the reader's comprehension of English is limited (in that case, I would often suggest the NLT).

With 'translation' addressed, then what 'package'? Is it a bible with no notes? A study bible? a devotional bible? There are so many 'niche' bibles these days that it can seem a bewildering choice.

The ESV Women's Devotional Bible is just what it says. An ESV Bible, with devotional notes to help encourage and deepen faith, written from a woman's perspective. I purchased this as a gift for a female family friend (sorry, for some of us alliteration just comes naturally ;-), and having looked through it, I can commend the content as being helpful and clear. The contributors would all appear to be coming from a conservative evangelical perspective, and since that is my own position, I'm happy to encourage others to buy this. (next recipient of one of these will be my wife - hope she doesn't read this first!)

Topstar SY Deluxe OP290UG21 Swivel Chair Synchronising Discs Open Point with Arm Rests / Fabric Cover Red

5.0 out of 5 stars A great office chair; well made and very supportive., 17 Oct 2014
I work from home, and estimate that I spend between 25-30 hours at my desk each week. I've had a couple of 'executive' chairs over the years, usually more the 'management' style - big and well padded - but have never found them ideal for working. Ideal for sitting back in, but not for desk work.

Having read reviews of the Topstar range, I decided to give one a try, and this chair, in red, (colour choice made a huge difference to the price), seemed an outstanding bargain at the time.

Having used it now for a couple of months, I can confirm that I am not disappointed. I find it supports me well (6' / 13st.), and appears to be very well made. I can certainly recommend this for regular office use. If you want something better, then you will need to move into the £300+ professional market.

[5 years warranty]EasyAcc® SuperSpeed USB 3.0 3 Port Hub with 1 RJ45 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter for Mac,iMac,MacBook Pro Air,Ultrabooks,Laptops,Raspberry Pi,Tablet PC with USB Ports and any PC,Black
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal attachment for a Surface Pro, 19 Sep 2014
I purchased this to add Ethernet support to my Microsoft Surface Pro. Does the job perfectly, and at a great price.

Karrimor Mens Traveller Supa 2 Trekking and Hiking Shoes K566-LMK Light Mink 10 UK, 44 EU, 11 US

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional value - great for fair weather walking on relatively smooth surfaces., 29 April 2014
I have really upped my miles of fitness walking recently, and was concerned that my 'good' walking shoes (a nice pair of Rohan ones) were going to wear out on the mainly tarmac and some gravel surfaces I've been walking on almost daily. I was looking for something light, and coming in at a more 'disposable' price. These more than fit the bill!

I have a reasonably wide foot (UK size 10) and these are a prefect fit. The proverbial 'glove' fit. They have the right level of cushioning for me (6'1" / 200 lbs), and seem to have good ventilation. There are two things you need to be aware of though:

1. There is no ankle support in these - they aren't designed for that - and they are therefore unsuitable for rougher terrain. However, on relatively smooth and level paths, they are ideal.

2. These shoes are not waterproof. They aren't designed to be, and they don't claim to be. There is a 'Weathertite' version of this shoe - it has the same sole, but different uppers. See my review of them if you are interested.

Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing, Vol. 1
Thoughts to Make Your Heart Sing, Vol. 1

1.0 out of 5 stars This may be an excellent boook, but the Kindle implementation is a major problem, 25 Feb 2014
Sally's story Bible is a wonderful thing, and great for parents to use with their kids. I also know of it being used to teach the basics of the Gospel to adult Christians with learning difficulties.

However, this Kindle app is a disappointment. One of the great strengths of the Kindle library is the fact that Amazon promote readers for a whole range of devices. I happen to choose to read on either my PC, or my Windows Phone 8 mobile (cell) phone.

Having purchased this book - with no indication in the details that it will not open on some iterations of the Kindle Reader software, I finf myself £0.99 poorer, and no words to show for it.

Amazon / Kindle - please sort this! - I notice that I am now the second person to give a 1-star rating - this is not a reflection upon the content of the book, but a mark of dissatisfaction at the failure of the product to meet its stated usefulness.

Hymns & Prayer Songs
Hymns & Prayer Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful simplicity, borne out of exquisite artistry. More Praise than Performance., 15 Feb 2014
This collection of sacred songs by Buddy Greene (now very difficult to obtain on media) was downloaded as MP3 files. The quality is superb. Each and every note rings clear, and Buddy's voice (along with others) sings these simple songs with clear feeling and evident faith. Buddy means what he sings, believes what he sings, meaning that the recordings on this album are more than performance - they are praise!

Love Buddy Greene's voice and music, and also the beautiful sounds that emerge when he teams up with Jeff Taylor and Ron Bock.

Down Every Road 1962-1994
Down Every Road 1962-1994

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful box set of Hag's Capital years, 24 Jan 2014
I started listening to country music in my teens in the 70's; I was, to quote Barbara Mandrell "Country, when country wasn't cool", and very quickly came to appreciate the music of Merle Haggard. I have purchased a variety of albums over the years, including his most recent work, but found this box set and went for it. The quality of the recordings are excellent - keep in mind I heard much of this stuff on cassette tape first time around!

The set is well presented, and the included book is interesting to thumb through. Happy to have purchased this!

Ex-Pro ToughPro Lens Case 6 x 8cm Lens Case - Black
Ex-Pro ToughPro Lens Case 6 x 8cm Lens Case - Black
Offered by ExpressPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Half the price of a LowePro, and more than half as good., 29 Dec 2013
I purchased two of these cases from Ex-Pro to hold an 11-22 and an 18-55 EF-M Canon lens. The cases are well made, and, at roughly half the price of a similar sized LowePro case, are well worthwhile considering as a lower cost option. Material and manufacturing quality seemed good, and I am happy to recommend them with one qualification; In my opinion, the sizing is very tight. The Canon lens is exactly 8cm with front and rear caps on, and it placed considerable force on the zip to close it properly. However, for a slightly shorter lens, I would give these cases my full recommendation, and for that reason give them 5 stars.

DURAGADGET Black "Tough" Hard Zip Pouch With Elasticated Strap & Netted Interior Pocket For Motorola Xoom 2 10.1 Inch 16GB Android 3.0 Tablet (Wi-Fi Version) & Dell Latitude 10 Windows 8 Tab
Offered by GADGETPLUSUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case for a Dell Latitude 10 - and can accommodate the 4-cell battery, 16 Dec 2013
This is a great case for a Dell Latitude 10 (the ST2 model, in my case). It provides protection that a neoprene sleeve or netbook bag never could. And also able to accommodate the 4-cell battery.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3