ARRAY(0xa7692504)

The Kane Chronicles: The Serpent's Shadow
by Rick Riordan
Price: 12.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Bulls with Freaking Laser Beams!, 17 July 2012
The Kanes are back with this continuation of the Kane Chronicles in a spinning world of madness versus order (Chaos versus Ma-at). As their wild Egyptian magical adventures continue, Sadie and Carter find themselves in more and more precarious and strange situations. Their pursuit to defeat Apophis, the giant snake of Chaos, and stop him from swallowing the sun, takes them on treacherous adventures to find an ancient spell... from Brooklyn House to the Underworld to the Land of Demons and the Sea of Chaos.

Although this book is supposed to be a transcript, I find it hard to imagine Sadie or Carter describing things as they do in the book, so I suppose it is a mixture of transcript and regular writing. However I got over this pretty early on, as it doesn't really matter or affect the story when it comes down to it! Also I really enjoy that we see the story alternately from Sadie and Carter's perspectives. This adds a bit more variety to the book (not that it needs it!).

I have always loved Rick Riordan's characters and this is no exception - the book is bursting with them and they often have wonderful quirky, unusual personalities as well as looks! For example, Bloodstained Blade - demon captain of the Egyptian Queen with a blood-covered double-sided axe for a head, Bes - the crazy hairy dwarf God who always wears Speedos and yells `BOO!' a lot, and Setne - a dangerously sneaky ghost with a nasty streak and as fondness for dressing like the `Ancient Egyptian Mafia'.

Of course, Sadie and Carter are superb characters - I especially love Sadie's rebellious streak - and even though there was the occasional American word that I don't think Sadie would say being English, it was not enough to put me off at all.
I would recommend the series to anyone with an imagination and taste for adventure and the unexpected! Obviously start with the first book:The Kane Chronicles: The Red Pyramid Also if you like these books, another series I have really enjoyed and would recommend, is Candara's Gift: Book 1 in The Kingdom of Gems Trilogy (Accounts of Candara)