Profile for JP > Reviews

Content by JP

JP

The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It
by Kelly McGonigal
Price: 9.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, full of actually useful advice and tips for improving your willpower., 9 Mar 2014
I very rarely write amazon reviews, but this book is truly excellent. It provides an interesting and fundamentally enjoyable read while also relying on proven science and giving you willpower advice that actually just works.

I think the key point that I took away is that a lot of what I assumed about willpower, and about desire and my ability to improve my life, was misconceived, or even flawed.

Taking a fresh look at these areas has inspired me to improve, and more importantly, given me useful tools to do so.

Do-Win weight training shoes 'Gong Lu II' (Power), UK 10, Navy / Silver
Do-Win weight training shoes 'Gong Lu II' (Power), UK 10, Navy / Silver
Offered by Big Bug Sports
Price: 68.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid feeling shoe with slight quality issues, 22 May 2013
I have yet to actually wear these will lifting, but I thought I would leave immediate feedback. Will update this when I've got some use out of them as well.

Fit:
I would say get a .5 size smaller than your normal size. I originally got 10s, which are my normal size, and they were just a bit too large - they didn't fully 'hug' the foot and there was a good 2cm of space in the toe cap before it reached my big toe. Thankfully the bugsports guys were really good about replacing them (sent them out the same day, since I provided proof of postage), and the 9.5s I got fit a lot better.

In terms of how they feel, once I got the right size the shoes fit like a glove. The shoes are surprisingly comfortable, but at the same time feel very sturdy and supportive when fully laced up. You feel rooted into the ground.

Quality issues:
Its obvious that there was a little care lacking when the shoes were being manufactured. Nothing that obviously compromises their main purpose of being a stable shoe for weightlifting, but little things. The insole of my left shoe is a few mm to the right of where it should be, leaving a gap. Small bits of trim appear rough and unfinished. There is also a slight (2mm or so) extra bulge of sole at the front of the left shoe.

Again, nothing major, and I think they will do their job well, but worth considering if you are a quality person. Personally I feel like its a fair balance for the price.

Aesthetics:
The material of the top of the shoe is a navy plastic-leather and is somewhat shiny. I'd honestly feel a teensy bit embarassed wearing these anywhere but the gym. Not a major issue, since they are shoes for a function, but if your sartorial elegance concerns you at the gym its worth considering.

I'll update this when I've got some use out of them and see how they've faired.

Rainforest Foods Organic Spirulina Capsules 500mg Pack of 180
Rainforest Foods Organic Spirulina Capsules 500mg Pack of 180

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, but currently overpriced, 7 May 2013
Spirulina as a product is excellent, its a really solid supplement with a host of benefits. See [...] for a good rundown on what it could do for you.

However, recently the price of the rainforest foods spirulina has jumped significantly. You used to be able to buy 300x500mg for 11.99 - 0.039p per tablet - without subscription - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rainforest-Foods-Organic-Spirulina-Tablets/dp/B007Q178DS/ref=pd_sim_d_3

Now however you can only buy 180x500mg for 14.49 - 0.0805 per tablet - an extra 2.50 for half the amount.

I don't know why this is the case, but it appears to be significant price inflation (not to say gouging) from what was previously a very good deal. Accordingly, as of the 7th of May 2013, if I were you I would not buy this product as it does not represent good value for money.

As of the time of writing the best value spirulina on amazon.co.uk appears to be the sevenhills organics 1000x500mg for 25.99 - 0.02599 per tablet.