Profile for A. B. Syed > Reviews

Content by A. B. Syed

A. B. Syed "The Adventures of Bruno Penny: Norbert de Strangle and the Great Museum Robbery"

Page: 1 | 2
Dermatology: Xanthelasma (Skin Diseases Book 5)
Dermatology: Xanthelasma (Skin Diseases Book 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's the rest of it?, 27 Feb. 2014
I bought this book thinking it would contain useful information. Unfortunately, each chapter consists of two or three sentences of information which is all freely available on the internet.

I can not recommend that anyone else spends over £5 on this.

Existence Is Futile
Existence Is Futile

4.0 out of 5 stars Existence is about Ninjas, 2 Jun. 2013
I have just finished reading Existence is Futile and I must say that I am left with an overwhelming feeling of love and hope and optimism.
It has been a long, sometimes confusing journey following Henry through his insecurities and his wonderings.
And once the ninjas arrive, there is no turning back.

The first impression I got from this book was that it was going to be a very preachy tome about what the author perceives to be the horrors of organised religion, but I'm very glad to say that it got much lighter as the story unfolded and I'm very pleased to see that even a confirmed atheist can find some kind of meaning in life.

A lovely twist ending make this a heartwarming book to read overall. It could benefit by some minor editorial flourishes but is otherwise a rewarding read.

PHENBURN® 375 Slimming Pills | Weight Loss Diet Aid (60 Tablets)
PHENBURN® 375 Slimming Pills | Weight Loss Diet Aid (60 Tablets)
Offered by Supplement Saver

5.0 out of 5 stars I would really recommend these - They work!, 16 Jan. 2013
I've never tried to use any slimming pills before and was recommended these by a friend. I've been trying to shift some post-baby weight and have tried everything in the past, but nothing worked. They arrived before the date stated and well packed. I was a bit surprised at how big they are - they are large blue pills! But actually they were really easy to swallow with a little water or juice.

So I've taken one every day and I must say I've lost weight. I would recommend these to anyone. Its so simple to take one every day and that's it. You're set up for the day. Just don't take them at night or before you go to sleep because they give you a buzz and lots of energy. I've lost six pounds already where before I wasn't even shifting one pound.

The Month of Zephram Mondays (The Zephram Tales Book 1)
The Month of Zephram Mondays (The Zephram Tales Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Zephram Mondays are great!, 30 Dec. 2012
I have been (slowly!) reading this book to my little ones and we have been absolutely hooked on the writing, the story, the descriptions - everything.

Tom, Lizzie, Ned and Nell do not have any magic! A tragedy for anyone living in a magical place, but unfortunately, they are Royal children, which only makes things worse.

The Month of Zephram Mondays is the first book of their adventures and it is a thrilling introduction to their world. Susskind does a great job of drawing the reader in right from the start with energetic and sometimes cheeky writing. We find out exactly what it is like to be a royal non-magical child living in a world where even the servants have magical powers. But when the children find out something which could jeopardise their whole world, how on earth can they save the kingdom?

Needless to say, we all thoroughly enjoyed this book and are really looking forward to reading the next one.

The Keys to the Golden Den: a book for children age 9/10/11/12 (childrens books)

4.0 out of 5 stars A little like Alice in Wonderland... A lot to like!, 19 Nov. 2012
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. As mentioned by another reviewer, 'The Keys' grabs you on the front page and pulls you along in a wonderful adventure.

It reminded me quite a lot of the silly happenings in 'Alice in Wonderland' and in the way that Jenny talks to herself.

Quite an interesting discovery.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 19, 2012 11:01 PM GMT

Past Jumper: Future Jumper Series (Future Jumper Series #1)
Past Jumper: Future Jumper Series (Future Jumper Series #1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Needed more background, 8 Oct. 2012
I read this story last night in one sitting. It is a short, high-speed read. In fact, this sort of felt like the commercial for the story rather than the whole story.

The protagonist, Aiden lives in a chaotic, tense world in which he is barely able to survive. Why? because way down the timeline, in his own past, he has invented a way to travel faster than light.

I liked the science bits and I did like reading about Aiden travelling back in time. The only way to do it is to jump off a really tall building. This way he gets one hour for each second of fall.

But why this is the case was not explained. Why does he have magical powers?

On the whole I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Aiden and his girlfriend Jess. But, I am one of those readers who do notice the editorial inconsistencies. Especially when there are mistakes in the parts, both at the beginning and the end of the book, which are apologising about the possible mistakes! That jars with me. So it would have had four stars if it was not for these grammatical and other errors. I almost felt like sending back a corrected copy, it would only take an hour's work to re-read it and correct it.

But, having said that, I would read it again to spot more detail and I would want to read more of the story, so well done for that.

Finish This Book
Finish This Book
by Keri Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want to finish it, 26 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Finish This Book (Paperback)
This book was purchased at the beginning of the summer holidays. I wanted something that would be engrossing enough to keep them going for at least a couple of weeks.

unfortunately, this wasn't it. From what I could gather there was a mystery to solve and some activities to perform. We cut out the silly moustaches and had our pictures taken with some silly disguises on, but after that, a whole two days later, they had just lost interest.

Much like the other reviewers, I felt that this would have been better suited to a younger audience and if the activites in it were a little more exciting and less preachy.

Three stars for effort.
Promised excitement and really wild things, but we did not quite manage to 'finish this book'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2015 4:59 PM BST

The Toffee Makers
The Toffee Makers

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 25 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Toffee Makers (Kindle Edition)
We read this last night in one sitting.

It is a light story aimed at the 5-8 year old market - more on the younger side, I think.

The details were highly entertaining: toffee which fizzes and pings and takes 15 minutes to eat was a very good touch.

I know this is the beginning of a series, but it would have gained more stars if a little more was explained about the Toffee Makers themselves, although I realise that this may happen in further books.

A lot to excite the little ones; shrinking down was a good idea, but I won't give any more of the story away. I got this as a free download, and I probably would look out for the next one. Very nice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2012 2:16 PM BST

Personally, I Blame my Fairy Godmother
Personally, I Blame my Fairy Godmother

1.0 out of 5 stars Stream of consciousness, 25 Jun. 2012
This book has many good reviews, but unfortunately mine will not be one of them. I tried to really get into it. I picked it up again after a couple of days in case I was just in the wrong mood the first time, but no, my feelings were exactly the same.

Unreadable, stream of consciousness with no discernible pauses for breath. Thoroughly unlikeable protagonists who elicited no sympathy from me. So much so, that I could not wait to put it down.

My first foray into chick-lit was an unmitigated disaster I'm afraid.

The Pear
The Pear

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Little Story about a Pear, 24 Jun. 2012
This review is from: The Pear (Kindle Edition)
This story has been written and illustrated by a six year old girl. Miss Butterworth has done a very good job matching the illustrations to the story. particularly, look out for Mum's apron, which is very well conceived.

Take it for what it is, a story by a six year old, and help the college fund grow.

It is similar to Meeshoo's Stories in its scope.

Very well done to all concerned.

Page: 1 | 2