Profile for Skylark > Reviews

Content by Skylark

Skylark (Chichester, England)

The Mating Season: (Jeeves & Wooster)
The Mating Season: (Jeeves & Wooster)

5.0 out of 5 stars you will laugh out loud!, 13 Jan 2014
A very good plot, with many disconcerting twists that test our hero Bertie. The scene with host Esmond over after dinner port is one of the funniest he has written.

Medipaq® MEMORY FOAM Wedge Cushion for Back Support and Height Boost with Coccyx Cut-Out - Washable Zip Cover - New 3D Mesh (BLUE)
Offered by Medipaq® from Great Ideas™

1.0 out of 5 stars Too soft to be useful in a car, 16 Aug 2013
Do not buy this cushion if you intend it for use in a car.
It is ridiculously soft, compresses even under my small weight
(58 kilos) probably to less than an inch.

Zero Dark Thirty [DVD] [2012]
Zero Dark Thirty [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Jessica Chastain

1.0 out of 5 stars I quit watching after the tedious and distasteful first hour, 15 Jun 2013
I watched only the first hour. I found distasteful, even obscene, the unnecessary and unremitting scenes of torture and ill treatment which just about filled that hour. And - an unforgivable lapse on the director's part - it was difficult to understand what or who the American CIA operatives were talking about. The subtitles were of no help. They make the mistake of transcribing every word of rapid dialogue, which requires a superhuman ability to read and take in the meaning in time. There was, at least in the first hour, no suspense, nothing to justify the "supremely gripping" praise of a reviewer in one reputable newspaper. Maybe the film gets better in the remaining hour or so, but I had found the first hour so tiresome I gave up. I was annoyed I had wasted ten pounds on such a poor film.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2013 5:02 PM BST

London: A Life in Maps
London: A Life in Maps
by Peter Whitfield

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent text, 14 Dec 2010
This review is from: London: A Life in Maps (Paperback)
I recommend this book. The text accompanying the maps is interesting and well written. The maps are good too, but the necessary reduction to book size make a few hard to read and I would like to have seen on some an outline overlay showing where the present major roads are.

Panasonic Travel Oral Irrigator For Using With Mouthwash Ewdj10
Panasonic Travel Oral Irrigator For Using With Mouthwash Ewdj10

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, and the one I bought was defective, 13 May 2010
I have been using at home a dental irrigator for more than 20 years, mostly a Kitty (now Hydro-Floss), which is more comfortable to use than others, due to the light and easily-manipulated jet holder. I have always wanted a portable irrigator for travel. I thought Panasonic could be trusted to make a good one, so I bought it. The reservoir is attached to the jet, in a single unit, and its weight and size make handling difficult. It is especially difficult to direct the jet onto the back of the lower teeth. You fill the reservoir by laying it on its side, and for me getting the whole thing wet was unavoidable. I tried the lower of the two pressures and found it so strong as to be exceedingly uncomfortable and even dangerous. So I concluded the one I had bought was defective and I returned it. Given the poor design, I would have been unhappy with the appliance even if the jet had been of appropriate strength.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
by Stieg Larsson

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't forget the translator, 16 Nov 2009
This is the final book in the best thriller series I have ever read. The first of the three books is good, the second better, and the third as good as the second. Buy them all, and read them in the correct sequence. The translation by Reg Keeland is superb. You never get the feeling the books were not originally written in English, the writing is so natural and perfectly expressed. I am told the French translation was not great.