Profile for mike half > Reviews

Led Zeppelin [Deluxe CD Edition]
Led Zeppelin [Deluxe CD Edition]
Price: 11.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Improved remaster?, 10 Jun 2014
As there are so many versions out there, this is a review of the deluxe CD edition.
I have three versions of this album - vinyl that I bought many, many years ago, the mid-nineties remastered CD, and now this. As the vinyl was played to death I now only listen to the CDs of it, so, does this edition sound better than the earlier remaster? Not noticeably to me on my mid-range equipment but no doubt the audiophiles out there will say differently.
What about the live Paris CD then? Sounds a bit odd to me; it could be that the recording equipment couldn't cope with the sonic attack of the Zeppelin but there are times when the different instruments can't be heard clearly. Obviously there is a lack of decent soundboard recordings from that time but the BBC did a pretty fine job of it recording Zep shortly afterwards.
Can't see that I'll listen to the live CD very often - who needs it when the main album is so very, very good.

24 Carat Purple
24 Carat Purple
Price: 9.48

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 4 April 2014
This review is from: 24 Carat Purple (Audio CD)
As background, this album has cost me a small fortune over the years; this was not only the very first Deep Purple album I bought with my pocket money back when it was first released but the first rock album I bought. This is a wonderful introduction to one of the best bands ever. My personal favourite track is Child In Time and was the reason I bought Made In Japan, the parent album for this masterpiece.
Go on, give your ears a treat. You won't regret it.

To Hell and Back: the Autobiography of Meatloaf
To Hell and Back: the Autobiography of Meatloaf
by (Vocalist) Meat Loaf

2.0 out of 5 stars Been through hell, 5 Mar 2014
Probably the worst autobiography I've tried to read. Tried, in that I gave up when the story reaches the Bat Out Of Hell period which should be the most interesting. Unfortunately the whole book is broken up into chapters of only a couple of pages each, and there are far too many photographs that add nothing at all and endless tales of his concussions. Must have been suffering the after effects when he put pen to paper.
There are only a couple of novels, biographies or autobiographies that I've failed to finish - this one stands out as in its awfulness.
That's a few hours of my life wasted on this that I won't get back. All in all I wish I hadn't bothered.

A Study Book for the NEBOSH National Diploma: Unit B - Hazardous Agents in the Workplace

4.0 out of 5 stars NEBOSH essential - not for the casual reader, 4 Mar 2014
If you're taking the NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety you won't find a better course book for this unit. The price is a mighty 90 so you'd better be sure this is the one for you. There are also books at the same price for units A and C so it mounts up.
It's also a good reference source for Health and Safety professionals.

Variations On A Dream
Variations On A Dream
Price: 16.87

4.0 out of 5 stars The next stage, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Variations On A Dream (Audio CD)
Having enjoyed Porcupine Tree, Anathema, The Flower Kings etc I thought I'd give this one a shot as it was one of Amazon's "if you like this, try..." and I'm glad I did. Well constructed songs, good musicianship - what more could anyone ask for. And I haven't even listened to the bonus disc yet.
Another fine album from the KScope label, which is costing me a small fortune.

Return to the Centre of the Earth
Return to the Centre of the Earth
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 1 Mar 2014
The best part of this is the Patrick Stewart narration, giving it a certain gravitas. What doesn't work for me are the rather bland songs, featuring guest vocalists like Ozzy, Bonnie Tyler and Trevor Rabin, which add nothing at all to the storyline. Admittedly you can skip these if you have a programmable CD player but it does make me think why Rick bothered with them at all; perhaps it was to pad it out.
Back to the original for me, then.

Offered by davehopetrading
Price: 7.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Close but no cigar, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: 13 (Audio CD)
Back in August 2013, Classic Rock magazine rated the Black Sabbath back catalogue. (This is their opinion - I would probably have a slightly different selection, as no doubt would every Sabs fan.)
According to them top of the pile were "Essential Classics" - the first three albums and Heaven & Hell.
After this, "Superior - Reputation Cementing", including Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage
Next came "Good worth exploring" including Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die.
Lastly, "Avoid" - Born Again and Forbidden.
So, where does 13 fit into this body of work. Is it Essential? No. Superior? Nope. Avoid? Definitely not.
That only leaves "Good". The issue I have with this album is that it has few memorable tracks even when you're playing it; it's all on one level sonically, no light and shade, no quiet beauty as on "Solitude" on Master of Reality, no respite from the constant battering. I can't help wondering what another producer could have done with this material. Patently Rubin was not the man for the job.
Will I be listening to this in a year's time, or thirty year's time as with the rest of the original Ozzy era? Probably not.
Hope that's not it for one of my favourite bands. Next time chaps, bring Bill along.

25 CD/DVD Single Jewel Cases
25 CD/DVD Single Jewel Cases
Offered by HOUSEWARES-ONLINE
Price: 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Shop Inc poor packaging - Media Replication much better, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: 25 CD/DVD Single Jewel Cases (Toy)
Firstly, the cases are sturdy enough but the packaging was poor. The parcel contained two factory wrapped sets of ten cases and five loose cases. Of these loose cases four were damaged and unusable. Shop Inc did refund a percentage according to the damage, but it took a couple of e-mails to sort out.
Coincidentally I used to be able to buy the same cases cheaper from Wilkos but they no longer stock them.

I have edited my review as I bought a second batch from Media Replication. These were all loose in the box but were enclosed in bubble wrap so none were damaged on receipt. Both types have served their purpose, but it's much better not to have any hassle/disappointment with damaged goods.

27/04/2014 - Another edit as I've bought a further batch from Media Replication. Again well wrapped so no damage to any of the cases. Good product.

25x Premium Grade Double CD Jewel Case With Black Tray (10mm)
25x Premium Grade Double CD Jewel Case With Black Tray (10mm)
Offered by mtxtoys
Price: 7.81

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 17 Oct 2013
Over the years I've used lots of such cases for my band's recordings. Some have been flimsy or broken on receipt. These were nether of these things - decently robust with no breakages either on receipt or by my fat fingers taking them apart and putting them back together. I'll use these again when the need arises.

Vitrex VITGO200VT Grout Removal Tool 230V Grout Out
Vitrex VITGO200VT Grout Removal Tool 230V Grout Out
Offered by Toolstop_Ltd
Price: 12.55

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 17 Oct 2013
I was using this in a partly enclosed small room. It is very noisy so I had to wear ear protectors, and because of the small dust particles produced, a face mask. As one of the other users has said, prolonged use can create some tingling so I suggest decent gloves, as well as not using it for more than 20 minutes at a time.
So, you're using a small tool you shouldn't use for to long especially without annoying the neighbours and looking like you're an advert for the Health and Safety Executive guidance on personal protective equipment. After all that, is it any good? I don't know what sort of grout the five star reviewers were removing, but good quality waterproof grout that was well laid is very much hard work even when going over it a number of times and working on it bit by bit.
Sorry, but I can't recommend it; I'll go back to my hand-scraper.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5